Tron Legacy teaser trailer now available

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Hyperspace05, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

I may sound weird, but the stuff inside the computer world looked too real.

I mean this is one movie that has free license to use a lot of CG and they didn't.

Still looks OK, but I only end up seeing about 5 movies a year in the theater. Probably will mis this one till DVD, I mean I haven't seen the first movie in 20 years.

2. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

Considering the movie is named after his (digital) character, I'd imagine he does.

3. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

I'm as happy as a little girl.

(Nods)

That's right. I said it.

4. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Y'know I was thinking the same thing. Vehicles throwing up water spray, smoking tires, and realistic clouds kinda detract from the 'digital' feel. Makes it feel more like a fuuristic Earth. I loved details in the original film like the blank backgrounds, and the 2D grids floating in the sky representing clouds.

Hope I'm proved wrong though.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  5. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

But it only makes sense such a virtual world would evolve and be improved upon.

It is worthwhile to remember that the look of the original TRON was as much (if not more) affected by the budget and technical capability as it was a design choice. It is always a compromise.

I think the new stuff looks great.

6. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I think it looks great, and I only thought the first one was decent. Though, I only saw the original a couple years ago on special edition DVD (thereby limiting the impact of its special effects).

I'm really looking forward to seeing Bruce Boxleitner again, though (being a huge Babylon 5 fan).

7. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I finger it's just "The World" evolving over time.

If you want to get nuts and bolts: considering it's all a mental construct (ie all in the head) of what the digitized person (character and through him the audience) are perceiving/seeing in the cyber-world, it could in theory look like anything, limited only by the mind of the person.

8. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not that I hate the preview, just commenting on a few minir misgivings. As long as there are plenty of bizare buildings, vehicles, and computer jargon puns ("Bring in the data probe!") in the final product, I'm good. Can't wait to see it!

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

And, as the spoilers indicate:
    Time passes in the virtual world 50 times faster than in the real world. So in the computer world, 1000 years have gone by since we last saw it in the original film. I'd guess things can change quite a bit in all that time. Especially if Clu is responsible in some way, which appears to be the case. Also, remember that in the original, all we saw of the computer world was the 'game grid'. Who knows what the rest of it was like?

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Certainly, but every news report I've heard about this film has had a heavy emphasis on Flynn with little to no mention to Tron himself. Don't ge me wrong, I love Flynn and Clu, but I have a small fear that Alan and Tron might get a bit overshadowed.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Interesting bit about the Castor guy. I'm looking forward to the explanation as to 1) why computer programs would need their own nightclub, and 2) how a program can have a 'checkered past'...

12. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

My understanding is that this "world" has been operating for over 1,000 years in their frame of time. That's plenty of time for evolution to run its course, especially in a world where even the simplest program had a fullly functional AI associated with it, complete with emotions and desires.

13. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

If you read between the lines of the director's comments on that page with the trailer stills, he seemed to consider the world "Tron" not merely the character.

Also I don't like the new REcognizer. It's too solid.

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I just found out from online that before the original concept test trailer aired, the movie had not even been greenlighted...if the trailer had failed with fans and studio alike there wouldn't have been a sequel at all!! Imagine what a resounding answer they got after everyone went crazy!

RAMA

15. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Well the 1st Tron was reflective of the game standards and "look" of the time, this is the same way: the drive by games for more realistic and "solid" looking game constructs.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  16. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Exactly, back then all games and cgi looked blocky, untextured (hell I doubt texturing was even a word back then for a CGI model) and low polygon count. But when even a video game from 10 years ago can have somewhat realistic looking smoke for tires and explosions, and even "damageable" environments... it makes a load of sense that TRON 2.0 would basically be far superior to the last one. I mean the movie is nearly 30 years old! Quite a lot has progressed since then. 30 Years ago the pinnacle of CGI was the Last Starfighter!

So yeah I can buy that the new environment has progressed and gotten far more detailed. Look at some of the video games out now on PS3 and XBox you even have seams on clothes that look like seams on clothes, moving jewelery, I mean hell its awesome when you can look at a video game and see necklaces, earrings, chains, etc moving, hair that moves in a realistic fashion.

And if this is 1000 years later - sure I can buy that the "characters" have evolved in their own way.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

I take it David Warner is not involved at all with this film? (I know Sark's derezzed but are they planning on a final act of revenge by Ed Dillinger?)

18. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Ed Dillinger's in jail where he belongs, and the MCP is digital dust.

19. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I thought he was made the Federation ambassador to Nimbus III

20. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I heard he went looking for the Holy Grail.