TRON: Legacy - Review and Grading

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Neroon, Dec 16, 2010.

?

Your rating on "TRON: Legacy" ?

1. Excellent! It should be permanently installed!

63 vote(s)
    32.3%
  2. Good - could use an upgrade or two but overall stable and inventive

89 vote(s)
    45.6%
  3. Average - Hold its oen with Tron 1982.

29 vote(s)
    14.9%
  4. Poor - nice to look at but I then it abends all over the place

12 vote(s)
    6.2%
  5. Should be immediately de-resed!!!

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I meant several months ago when Legacy came out??

In terms of the combo pack...Its $49.99 for 5 discs and I got 4 discs for $32, so I'm just as satisfied. Just letting you know you could save 18 bucks and pretty much have what you need from it.

RAMA

2. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was a little dissapointed that theres no 2-disk dvd option, and that the single disk is fairly skimpy on the extras.

Yeah, I could have gotten the combo pack, but I just couldn't justify paying the extra $10 when I don't have any plans to get a BR player any time in the near future.

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

You and me both. In fact, I'm despising the new trend of giving Blu-Ray releases exclusive extras. Inception, Toy Story 3, and Tron: Legacy are all very guilty of this and it pisses me off to no end.

On a calmer side, I pre-ordered to the DVD editions of both films a month ago and I'm impatiently waiting for them to arrive.

4. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Ditto. I have no plans to upgrade from DVD anytime soon. I almost feel like I am being forced into something just to get to see a film's extras. (And you would think they would give it a rest already. People are just not buying into BR like they thought.)

As for the film, I never got a chance to see it in the theater. My local cinema is small and will only keep things for a couple of weeks. I could never get my schedule to jive in the short window it was here.

But I bought it on DVD and loved it. The story is a little lacking but the design, costumes, visuals and music make up for it. I don't think I have seen a more beautifully designed film since "Lord of the Rings". The Grid itself is jaw-dropping. And I am still having an orgasm over the costumes. I WANT an exact replica of Sam's suit, including the disc and game helmet, to wear. I would be willing to pay high dollar for it too.

My only real complaint: the CG head replacement for CLU ran hot and cold. Sometimes it was flawless; other times it just plain sucked.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't notice anything unusual about the Clu CGI. :shrug:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Disney is jacked up. There's approximately umpteen versions of Tron: Legacy out there but none of those versions is straight 1 BD of Tron, 1 BD of Legacy. Nope, the combo pack has those but it also has DVDs (because when we bought DVDs 10 years ago they all came with VHS tapes, right?) and the digital copies (which anymore is something that's usually tossed in with a copy of a movie) and this pack costs nearly $50 fucking dollars on sale, normally around $70.

Disney is fucking high! I know I defended the cost of the Next Generation and other Trek DVD sets when they came out as being priced $100 but that was for an entire TV season, 26 episodes. This is $70 for two fucking movies that I'm buying three times two of those times on formats I don't need them on (DVD and the digital copy.) :rolleyes:

And buying both the straight BD copies at Bestbuy would be fucking expensive. So, yeah, screw Disney.

Although, I still bought the DVDs from them, just the stand-alone BD/DVD discs at Amazon which using the Free Shipping option I'll get them in a couple of weeks but it still cost be less than the $50 the 3-version super pack at BB would've cost me. (Or the $70/$80 it'd cost me in a couple of days when the sale goes off.)

Christ.

Tell me again why they sell Blu-Rays along with the DVD?

7. Cutter John

Yeah, the facial features on Clu and the young Flynn were kinda lacking. Unfortunately I can't see any other way they could have de-aged Jeff Bridges nearly 30 years, so I'll give them a pass. Just because everything else was epic! I usually don't go for gratuitous action scenes ( I was bored by the speeder bike scene in RotJ by the second viewing) but I honestly can't stop watching the lightcycle fight.
    To me this is what CGI should be. Not realistic skin and fur textures on cartoon animals, but sleek reflective textures and glowing ribbons of light.

I think the only thing that dissapointed me was that Cora didn't kick more ass. Seems like she lost every hand-to-hand fight she was in.

And while yeah, its not Shakespere, Its got a better story than the first, all the characters are likeable enough, and the FX are amazing enough that you're just drawn into it.

8. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I just saw it on DVD and I thought it holds up rather well, Olivia Wilde is still GREAT to look at the effects are very good and I noticed the music more this time than I did in the theater.

9. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

And the cool thing about the costumes is that they were 100% real, from what I understand - No CG, no post production. (except when they materialize or disappear) The lighting was built-in.

Speaking of the actual film, one scene in particular gave my the biggest goosebumps I can remember - The recognizer pickup scene, with this music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1eI-7XWjho&t=90 - When the crescendo finally kicks in at 1:47, and you see the three recognizers passing the camera in formation... Wow! :bolian: :cool: It can still rewind the epicness in my mind, 3 months later.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^But apparently the suits got incredibly hot and they could only film with the lights on for a few minutes at time.
    Oh, and the lack of a DVD 2 pack of the movies is also pissing me off. I'm really tempted to pick up Legacy when I get back to work, and TBH if they had a DVD 2 pack I'd probably get it. But there is no way I'm getting the multipack and I'm not sure if I really want to have to get them individually.

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

You're probably gonna have to there's no, straight, 2-pack version and certainly not one on DVD. (At least I haven't seen one.) This is because Disney sucks and is lame and wants to gyp you out of as much money as they can.

You're going to have to buy two stand-alone DVD copies and on that front you're probably better off buying the BD since it comes with the DVD anyway. In fact, fuck it, PM your address and I'll mail you my DVDs of the movies when I get them in. You won't have the fancy packaging or anything but I'll send them in a nice black plastic two-disc alpha case and I'm sure someone out there has designed an insert.

12. Cutter John

Of course if Disney wants to make the ultimate dick move, in six months they'll release a SPECIAL DELUXE COLLECTORS EDITION DVD on two disks thats packed with extras.

13. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I picked up the two disk br version and then picked up chronincles of narnia voyage of the dawn trader. so I gave disney 60 for both movies . watched legacy friday and it was fantastic loved it . today chronicles .

14. Kaijima

Kaijima Captain Captain

Picked up the 4-disc blu-ray set yesterday, watched it last night.

Firstly, folks should know that the sound was totally reworked at Skywalker by the director. Kosinski wasn't happy with the mix since they were rushing to complete the film. Dialog center channel balance is especially improved, and the music swells at more appropriate points. And just a ton of little tweaks. Great job.

Second, I really do think the movie gets better with more viewings. There's a vast amount of love and thought put into the surrounding world and the backstory, and virtually nothing you see on screen is random, arbitrary, or careless. Even if the primary story is pretty simple and breezy, the film's setting has a lot of meat to it. Lots of stuff to ponder and wonder at each time you see it.

I mean, here's a nice example, something I never caught the first time around:

The waterfront warehouse Sam is living in at the start of the film is a building owned by Encom. Remember that he is living off money and resources from the company, since he has control. Look carefully at the faded sign above the building when Sam returns home: it says "DUMONT" - Dumont shipping! The building is, in fact, the "garage" that Dr. Walter Gibbs started Encom out of. It even has an old stove and fridge in it from when Walter lived there in the 70's. The fact that the old name on the building is "DUMONT" could be taken as a subconscious element in Walter's mind that caused his electronic duplicate in the Encom mainframe to be named Dumont. Also, the fact that Sam chose this building to live in, likely means he discovered it among Encom's old properties and realized its significance.

How appropriate, that Sam, the technoanarchist, lives in the place where Walter started Encom - the man who questioned the direction Encom was going when it became corporate.

There's also some intentional thought put into the worldbuilding of Legacy with regards to it being an alternate reality; Tron takes place in a universe where Encom replaces Microsoft (and Dillinger Systems... mmhmm...) and by 2011, Encom's software technology is more advanced than the operating systems we have seen in the real world. They've gone through more revisions, the world is running on more advanced technology. Much of this is the result of the visionary Kevin Flynn and his early work taking Encom to the top - 7 years of accelerated development. There's a reason why Flynn was an icon and legend in Tronverse, worshiped by millions around the world. One might conjecture that Encom's meteoric rise and advanced technology had something to do with Fynn's years of experimentation in the Grid, and coming out again with advanced insight. Because that was one of the points of the Grid - to research and develop technology to change the real world. (One reason why the physics and reality of the Grid were made more detailed.)

If Tron 3 is made, which at this point is very likely, a lot more of this alternate universe will likely be explored due to the various elements being set up.
    Ed Dillinger Jr. is allowed to stay at Encom by Alan Bradley because as far as they know, he has had a falling ot with his father... who now runs a competitor, Dillinger Systems. As hinted at by teaser materials for Tron 3 though, EdJr. exchanges messages in secret with Ed Sr. To the effect that a plan of corporate espionage is on track. If Dillinger Systems is indeed the "enemy" of Tron 3, good money laid down right now that we see the return of the MCP.

15. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

that would be awesome if there was a tron 3 . I loved this movie it was so detailed than the first one . why was ram never seen in the real world in the first movie? also who was hercules soppossed to be on the grid and in the real world?

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really appreciate the offer, but no thanks.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

About the T3 spoiler...

Is David Warner returning?

18. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ram was the guy who asked Alan for some of his popcorn. I think that was his entire real-world role. :p

19. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Doubtful because Warner has said in interviews that he didn't particularly care for Tron. That and he's very busy with theater and audio productions (such as certain Doctor Who stories...).

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Also I believe that Ram's User was behind all of the "Flynn Lives" stuff in the film's real world.

As for David Warner's attitude: :wah:
    They better not recast Dillinger Sr., then.