Trek's chances at best picture just increased?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah...I don't think Tolkien counts, because it's a literary classic. The Academy eats that stuff up naturally. It's no hard sell.

2. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While I understand the desire to keep politics out of the forums, and think the phrase "liberal nutjobs" may have crossed the line, I think it's fair in a thread about Trek's Oscar chances to point out the fact that the Academy does in fact like to nominate films that have a liberal political message. Films that either have conservative messages, or no message at all, are less likely to be nominated.

3. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

Right, Trek wining best picture. NEVER HAPPEN!

4. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Then surely, there must be a way to say so without it coming off as having either a political agenda to advance or an intent to troll?

If something with a political aspect does touch upon the movie or upon the story told by the movie, then I have no problem with it being discussed here as such, but I have been asking for a long time that U.S. partisan politics in particular be kept to forums oriented to such topics (i.e., TNZ.) Finger-pointing at "liberal nutjobs" (or at any other similarly-charged political epithet/subgroup) falls well outside the purview of this forum and I would like it to stay outside; we've got enough divisive issues here already, what with canon/continuity, alternate timelines, ship length, Captain April and tubes in Engineering, without party politics getting into the mix, too.

5. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

while i dont think it will win i wouldnt be suprised if it gets nominated.

really depends on what comes out in december.

but remember star wars did get nominated.

and star trek got some favorable reviews from some of the influential critics.

so maybe get into some pratice..
    :lol:

6. MarauderMo

MarauderMo Ensign Red Shirt

Even with 10 nominees, I don't think that Star Trek will be nominated. Summer blockbusters just don't seem to be what the academy looks at for "Best Picture". It would be nice to see a nomination, but after the big academy pictures and the top artsy indy flicks that most people have never heard of make the list, there probably won't be much room for Trek.

7. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

I just want all the actors to be invited to the Awards event, so I can watch them walk down the red carpet in their best suits and gowns.

8. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

And they all must give a Vulcan salute as they walk...

9. Fish1941

Fish1941 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Huh? STAR TREK nominated for a Best Picture Oscar? STAR TREK??

10. npsf3000

npsf3000 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Reason for star trek nomination

- Well made movie that's ratings are nearly on par with slum dog millionaire (on both RT and IMDB)

- Increase in available slots.

Reason against:

- It won't make it.

?

11. USSPhilippi

USSPhilippi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You missed E.T.'s Best Picture nomination from 1982.

12. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Could say the same thing about why you think it shouldn't.

13. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

But it's that exactly WHY the Academy has decided to have ten nominations instead of just five? To open up the possible field of contenders to movies more like Dark Night than The Piano?

That's not an argument for or against Trek getting a nomination or an award, just an observation.

14. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

it's sci fi. that's the biggest reason.

15. indranee

yep. and Gandhi won that one. 11 Oscars.

16. indranee

look, if that's the reason, I'm all for it. if Trek gets nominated, I'll sit through all seventeen hours of the frickin' show!

17. CoveTom

My basic argument, which some here may not like, is not that Trek won't get nominated because the Academy is too elitist and anti-SF -- which they are -- but that it doesn't deserve to get nominated. Trek is just not Oscar material. It's entertaining and it's made alot of money, but is it any particularly great work of art? Not hardly.

18. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Look upthread for the Rotten Tomatoes comparison with Slumdog Millionaire; that's what your opponents' basic argument is. Star Trek with 92% Fresh could expect to get a nomination.

19. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Yeah, a nomination in and of itself isn't an indicator of winning anyways. Lots of TV shows get nominations for Emmys simply to pad out the ballot.

20. CoveTom

Oh, I understand, but just because the critics represented at Rotten Tomatoes like the film doesn't necessarily mean they think it's Oscar-worthy and, even if they do, I don't have to agree. Heck, there are many films that have actually won the Best Picture Oscar that I don't think were Oscar-worthy. *shrug*

Don't get me wrong. I don't mean any of this as a criticism of the current film. I think it's a great movie. I loved it. I'm anxiously awaiting the sequel. But I just think that an Oscar for Best Picture should denote something more than a good summer blockbuster. I think it should be something that rises above the typical film and distinguishes itself in some artistic way. In the sci-fi genre, 2001: A Space Odyssey did that. So did Alien.

Star Trek did not. It is more akin to Aliens in my mind. An excellently enjoyable film. But nothing exceptional in the annals of filmmaking. A People's Choice Award? Sure. But an Oscar? No.