Trek's catsuit problem with female actresses

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Citiprime, Jan 6, 2023.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

What about a cat in a hat?
    [​IMG]

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Already have one:

Ovation likes this.
  3. MarkusTay

MarkusTay Commander Red Shirt

In the future, uniforms will just be 'sprayed on'. LOL
    I'm surprised we haven't seen a species that does that yet.

But not for men... the 'dangly bits' would be distracting.
    {j/k}

I like the way DS9 handled the miniskirts in the episode where they went back to K-7 and tribbles. It was pretty funny.
    But anyway, we all know the real reason why they do this - nerds don't get to touch girls very much (or at least, that's how it was in the 60-70's). They kept this approach to keep the teenage boys watching. Is it 'right'? Well, that depends on your viewpoint... are you trying make a moral statement, or are you trying to get more audience views? You can't always have it both ways (unfortunately).

4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or 3d printed. Still waiting for that.

5. MarkusTay

According to TAS, TOS-era uniforms were manufactured using natural fibers (they had to explain why their clothes were also shrinking - can't have naked people in a 1970's cartoon LOL). Of course, replicator technology was limited to food and drink items back then.

Also, after posting that, I see we have moved-on to hats now... my bad.
    I think they would have looked spiffy with TNG-era dress uniforms - too bad they never used them. Come to think of it, how come NO species uses hats with their uniforms? Could have saved the makeup dept. a ton of work with head-ridges. LOL

6. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Supposedly the helmets worn by Romulan crew officers (and Vulcans in "Amok Time") were to minimize the expense of gluing points onto the extra's ears.

cooleddie74 likes this.
  7. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Discovery kind of showed that.

I'll respond to the body-paint uniform seriously, though: frankly it would be distracting. Even getting away from the sexual aspects, I don't think the concept of body privacy is going to evaporate in 300 years. Just because you shower with others doesn't imply you want to be exposed all the time. A uniform gives some standardization and puts everyone on the same team, with the exception of rank (and name, if the uniform has a name tag). There is also a certain "esprit du corps" that can come with a unform, if it's well done. And finally, getting the uniform sprayed on would be a bigger hassle that just putting on the jumpsuit, or trousers/t-shirt, whatever, not to mention waiting on it to dry, or adverse reactions, etc.

8. fireproof78

This is more my approach when designing a uniform for a fictional setting. It's meant to create sameness and familiarity. I know much is made of Starfleet having too many uniforms but the other side of it is that people can look at a uniform and go, "Yup, Starfleet." and understand the basics, even without it being exactly the same. I think that goes a long way towards creating that organizational structure and solidarity.

9. MarkusTay

I had pictured in my mind that if a species went that route - used body-painting instead of clothes - they would simply have 'booths' in their quarters they'd step into, and it would be sprayed on in under a minute. You just tell the thing what you want to 'wear' (look like), and the machine does the rest. hell, we have the tech to do just that right now! (Don't go and patent my idea!!!) LOL

Seriously, how different would that actually be from what T'Pol or Seven had to wear?

10. fireproof78

More support in the chest?

11. MarkusTay

They had that? Must have been some very fine wire. LOL
    You want to know how OLD I am? I came across an Enterprise video on YouTube, called "T'Pol walking away". I thought it was going to be something poignant. It wasn't. It took me three times of watching it closely - with her just 'walking away' - before I realized what the video is about...

And in that moment, I felt my age. LOL

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  12. fireproof78

Years of working in sporting goods retail and learning about apparel has taught me it's not always about metal wire.

13. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With that 32nd century 'programmable matter' that probably could be the case quite literally. And then it can form any clothing you desire.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  14. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's a really objectifying way of referring to women, and it also ignores the fact that plenty of women are nerds and always have been. Hell, early Star Trek fandom in the 60s and 70s was mostly led by women!

They didn't get to have it either way, since the misogynistic costuming choices re: Seven of Nine and T'Pol never stopped ratings from getting worse and worse with each passing season of Voyager and Enterprise.

15. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

Just when I thought this thread needed to be nuked along with half the posters someone pops up with an unexpected excuse to listen to this incredible song.

cooleddie74 likes this.
  16. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    The coolest cats didn't even need a full "suit."