Trek writers original works

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

publiusr and trampledamage like this.
  2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Like I said I was going to in the What Are You Reading thread, I started listening to the Grachip Audio version of @Christopher L. Bennett's Only Superhuman this morning. I'm a little over half an hour into it and so far I'm really enjoying it.

Greg Cox likes this.
  3. Christopher

A blog named Bad Girls, Good Guys, and Two-Fisted Action, the Writing Blog of Sean Taylor, is running a series of interviews with eSpec Books authors, and mine was posted today:

https://seanhtaylor.blogspot.com/2021/08/especs-books-focus-2-christopher-l.html

I talk about Star Trek: Living Memory and the Arachne duology, and also drop some hints about “the new project I can’t talk about,” which was actually Tangent Knights, since the interview was conducted before that project got announced.

Greg Cox likes this.
  4. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

The 4th novel in my bestselling Marc Dane series of espionage thrillers - SHADOW - was published this week in the USA from Forge Books, in hardcover and eBook - more details here! LINK

[​IMG]

5. Elwro

Elwro Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

James Swallow likes this.
  6. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Sadly, Amazon's algorithm-driven listings are a bit of a mess and there's little that I can do about it!

7. mastadge

mastadge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

In case anyone's interested, new movie based on one of Vonda McIntyre's books coming out in a few weeks:

Stevil2001 and Greg Cox like this.
  8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Filmed seven years ago apparently!

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have to admit, as a mermaid fan, I find this one a bit intriguing, but I don't know if it's worth going to the theater for, so I'll probably just wait for it to come to one of the streaming services.

10. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I loved Blish’s MORE LIGHT, where he actually fleshed out “ The King in Yellow.”

11. Christopher

The folks at GraphicAudio just let me know that Tangent Knights 1: Caprice of Fate has just won the AudioFile Earphones Award! Their review is here:

https://www.audiofilemagazine.com/reviews/read/203852/

An excerpt: “Talented GraphicAudio narrators imbue believability by creating accents for the polyglot characters of futuristic New Avalon… This is an aural treat for sci-fi fans everywhere.”

According to AudioFile’s Earphones Awards page, “The award is given by AudioFile to truly exceptional titles that excel in narrative voice and style, characterizations, suitability to audio, and enhancement of the text.” That’s quite an honor.

Greg Cox and David Weller like this.
  12. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Phenomenons: Every Human Creature is now available for preorder from Crazy 8 Press. A nifty new shared-world superhero universe created by longtime Star Trek novelist Michael Jan Friedman, and featuring a mess of other Trek prose stylists:
    • Ilsa J. Bick
    • Peter David
    • Keith R.A. DeCandido
    • Robert Greenberger
    • Glenn Hauman
    • Paul Kupperberg
    • Aaron Rosenberg
    • Geoffrey Thorne
    In addition, there are stories by Michael A. Burstein, Russ Colchamiro & Hildy Silverman, Mary Fan, Dan Hernandez, Heather E. Hutsell, Ron Marz, and Marie Vibbert.

This is a great superhero universe not quite like anything you've seen before, so if you want to learn more about Black Hat, Colosa & Particula, the Grey Guardsman, Lipstick Lilly, Luminosity, null, Professor Paracelsus, the Ramblers, Sarcastic Fringehead, Syntax, Torque, Zig Zag, and lots more, check out the anthology!

Elwro and Greg Cox like this.
  13. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It doesn't seem to be listed on Goodreads yet.

14. Elwro

Elwro Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Reading it now (backed it on Kickstarter). Good stuff! Strong Wild Cards vibe, at least for now (and it's a good thing as far as I'm concerned).

15. KRAD

It is now.

Thanks! Speaking as one of the contributors, I'm honored to be part of this, and it was especially fun to coordinate my story with Ms. Fan and Mr. Burstein......

dupersuper likes this.
  16. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

@KRAD I love your Precinct books, do you have a new Precinct book in your planning?

17. KRAD

Yes, Phoenix Precinct is on the docket to be written this year, and hopefully released either in late 2022 or early 2023. (It would've been written sooner, but there was an apocalypse.....)

Elwro and USS Firefly like this.
  18. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

I had no idea this thread existed!

Well... not exactly sure if allowed, but...

My bona fides are admittedly thin. I wrote a spec script for VOY and was invited to pitch by the writers, and talked every month or so to Raf Green. My pitches never quite reached (either "already doing one like that" or "not a direction we want to go") but they did like what they saw/heard, and always encouraged me. I diverted down a different road, writing specs for original TV series and movies, with some script rewrites for directors along the way. Received positive noises for my film script The Sea Tigers, but no nibbles yet. Didn't realise it was so hard to get things made!

Then I got cancer, and the recovery has been slow. I was paid for a short noir script, Deadline, chosen from several, and a director in LA rewrote it into a full length movie, which he produced. I took one of the discarded scripts and turned it into a short story, A Fragment of Damnation, which I sold to an online magazine, Trigger Warning.

https://www.triggerwarningshortfiction.com/a-fragment-of-damnation/

I realised I had a lot of story ideas sitting round not doing much, like me, because the cancer treatment was so tiring. Couldn't concentrate for long periods, so I wrote up a bunch of them as a short story collection. Nearly all publishers want novels, not short story collections, so I got it onto Amazon. No idea how to properly promote it (plus the concentration thing), so it's been there a little over two years, and it's called Catching Light.

I've been trying to finish the second collection, Gravity Has Consequences, since then, but the lockdowns haven't done my mental health any good (cancer, separation, grandtwins, oh, it's been a busy time!). An interesting thing has been
    finding that I'd finish a story, then, later, speculating on the characters or worlds in them, thought, "say, a second story of that would be cool!" much as you would with a TV series, another episode. So across the two books are multiple stories with the same characters (a robot civilisation, a soldier seeking to avert a catastrophic war, a fantasy hero, a fantasy medieval city holding firm against the forces of darkness), which may turn into their own thing later, I'm not sure. Both books will be a sampler of ideas.

I don't know when it became a bad idea that a first book was made of short stories. Individual stories could be lifted out to promote the finished collection. Most author of the Golden and Silver Ages began with their magazine work collected. But that might just be me.

So there you have it. Catching Light available now, Gravity Has Consequences coming soon!

[​IMG]

19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Not a novel by me, but a book I edited for Tor Books goes on sale today. STAN LEE'S THE DEVIL'S QUINTET: The Armageddon Code by Jay Bonasinga is the first book of a series based on a new superhero team Lee came up with before he passed away a few years ago. Jay is, among the other things, the bestselling author of some WALKING DEAD novels. He's hard at work on the second book in the series, The Secret Society, as we speak.

20. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know this will probably never happen, but I just want to put the bug in the TrekLit authors' ears that if they ever decided to collaborate on an original Star Trek-esque space opera series in the vein of the kinds action/political thriller stories they were telling during this TrekLit golden age of 2001-2021, or on contemporary real-world versions of such stories, I think there might be an audience. :)

Trek66, ATimson and KRAD like this.