Trek writers original works

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Jul 9, 2016.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just picked up David Mack's original novel The Calling, and I thought it might be fun to set up a thread for the Trek authors' original, non-tie in works.
    So what original stuff from Trek writers have you read?
    The only other one I've read so far is Knight Life, the first book in Peter David's modern day King Arthur series. I'm a big fan of Arthurian stories, so I got a big kick out of it, although I have checked out the rest of the series yet.
    I plan on checking out KRAD's Dragon Precinct eventually too.
    Have any of you guys read Vonda McIntyre's Dreamsnake?

2. Judith Sisko

Judith Sisko Commander Red Shirt

I read Dayton Ward's The Last World War when it was first published. It was enjoyable enough, but I remember donating it to my library for their Friends sale after I read it.

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Can't resist plugging PRETERNATURAL by Margaret Wander Bonanno, which I edited back in the day, and which may be of interest to Trek fans. It's about a struggling, mid-list science fiction writer who may or may not be in telepathic contact with actual aliens.

And, more recently, there's ONLY SUPERHUMAN by Christopher Bennett, which is a very cool hard-sf look at superheroes in the asteroid belt. (Full disclosure: I edited that one, too.)

And let's not forget the STARBRIDGE series by the late Ann Crispin.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Only Superhuman is one I definitely want to check out too.
    I've never heard of Preternatural, it does sound interesting.

5. Greg Cox

Can I brag that "Preternatural" was named a New York Times Notable Book of the Year?

There were a couple of sequels as well, but I didn't edit those so I'm less familiar with them.

6. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

James Swallow also recently had his non-Trek novel Nomad published in the UK and other territories (including the US).

7. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

R. S. Belcher, who had a story in Strange New Worlds IX, has written the Golgotha series, consisting of two novels (Six-Gun Tarot and Shotgun Arcana) with a third coming out next June (beat you to it, @Greg Cox !). They are all firmly rooted in the Weird West genre and quite excellent.

The same author also has Nightwise (with a sequel coming soon) and Brotherhood of the Wheel (also with a sequel forthcoming). So that's three series that Belcher is juggling.

I can personally recommend @Christopher 's Hub series of stories, which are just fun tales with great characters and terrific ideas.

I wish @KRAD would get those Bram Gold novels written that he announced awhile back. I loved that character and his universe of supernatural Coursers ever since I first read "Under the King's Bridge." It's a world definitely rich and intriguing enough to continue exploring.

8. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I've just started re-reading "Sir Apropos of Nothing," his high-fantasy series. I'm refreshing myself before I read PAD's new, fourth novel in the series, "Pyramid Schemes."

9. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

I've read David R. George III's novelette Moon over Luna - which was intriguing, and really quite good as I remember it (I'm going to have to read it again, now). Otherwise, I'm sorry to say that I don't think I've read any other original works by Trek authors. I really enjoy Christopher L. Bennett's Trek novel/las, so perhaps I should give Only Superhuman a go?

10. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Let's see, I've read:

@Dayton Ward :
    The Last World War
    Counterstrike: The Last World War, Book Two
    The Genesis Protocol

Keith R.A. DeCandido ( @KRAD ) :
    Dragon Precinct
    Unicorn Precinct
    Goblin Precinct
    Tales from Dragon Precinct
    Gryphon Precinct
    Super City Police Department: The Case of the Claw
    Guilt in Innocence: A Tale of the Scattered Earth
    Viral: -30-

Peter David:

Knight LIfe
    Sir Apropos of Nothing:
    The Woad to Wuin
    Tong Lashing
    Fearless
    The Camelot Papers
    Pulling up Stakes
    Pulling up Stakes 2

Aaron Rosenberg (S.C.E.):
    OCLT: Incursion
    Birth of the Dread Remora: A Tale of the Scattered Earth
    Honor of the Dread Remora: A Tale of the Scattered Earth
    No Small Bills
    Too Small for Tall

David Niall Wilson:
    The Second Veil - A Tale of the Scattered Earth

Anthologies with stories by Trek authors:
    Space Grunts - edited by Dayton Ward, with stories by Derek Tyler Attico (SNW), Jeff D. Jacques (S.C.E.), James Swallow, Geoffrey Thorne, Scott Pearson, John Coffren (SNW), Kirsten Beyer and Dayton Ward (as well as several non-Trek authors)

ReDeus: Divine Tales - with stories by Dave Galanter, Allyn Gibson, Robert Greenberger, Paul Kupperberg, William Leisner, Scott Pearson, Aaron Rosenberg, Lawrence M. Schoen and Dayton Ward

I've also read a lot of Trek author's non-Trek tie-in work (and own some original stuff I haven't read yet (like The Calling by @David Mack, which I have since release, but haven't come around to read yet)), but since you were only asking for original stuff that should be pretty much it.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  11. Greg Cox

Peter David also wrote a humorous werewolf novel, HOWLING MAD, which is worth tracking down.

And we should remember Tony Daniel, who has written numerous original SF books (including, yes, a couple I edited) and has a new fantasy novel out now: THE DRAGON HAMMER.

And how far back are we going? Veteran Trek authors like John Gregory Betancourt, Kij Johnson, Susan Shwartz, Susan Wright, and others have written their fair share of original novels.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

And then there are those writers who were famous for their original work long before they did Star Trek, like Vonda N. McIntyre or Steven Barnes. Or, most notably, Robert Sheckley, whom Trek readers know only from a single poorly-received DS9 novel, The Laertian Gamble, but who's probably the most legendary SF author ever to do a Trek novel, with a huge bibliography stretching back to the 1950s. I once saw a reviewer of The Laertian Gamble (on this very board, I think) accuse Sheckley of imitating Douglas Adams's style, when in fact Adams was the one imitating Sheckley.

And there are a couple of writers who did ST books early in their careers and then became far more famous for their original work, like Greg Bear (the early Pocket TOS novel Corona) and Laurell K. Hamilton (TNG: Nightshade).

iarann and Greg Cox like this.
  13. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

14. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

Indeed! But Nomad isn't officially on sale in the US bookstores just yet; we're currently in talks with an American publisher about a US edition at the moment.

As for my other non tie-in stuff, I wrote the Sundowners series of YA steampunk western novellas many years ago, and I've had short fiction in a few anthologies (Silent Night, Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts, Game Over and the forthcoming Mech: Age of Steel).

Leto_II likes this.
  15. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've got the KRAD ones in my list to read at the moment, I've read the Peter David ones a few times.

I enjoyed Nomad, but I also have another short story of yours on the list to read - Turn of the Card (part of the Kaiju Rising: Age of Monsters anthology.

Only Superhuman by Christopher was a good read

16. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

Thanks for the kind words about Nomad!

I hope you like the Kaiju story - I didn't list it here as it's actually a tie-in to a game called Colossal Kaiju Combat and features monsters from that gameworld...

17. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, I hadn't heard of that so I wasn't aware it was a tie-in. (Once I actually get started on the whole book, I might have noticed, but I'm not there yet:D )

Looking forward to The Dark Arts series by David Mack too

18. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

In a US edition does someone have to go through the book and change colour to color and centre to center, etc?

19. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

They also must change all Philosophers to Sorcerers. It's quite an in-depth process.

Idran and Avro Arrow like this.
  20. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Wait, do british novels really get "translated" to american english? This seems to have way too little gain for that much effort.