Trek writers original works

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Jul 9, 2016.

1. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

For any readers interested in my 'Marc Dane' modern-day action thriller series - I'm posting a five-part, free-to-download serial novelette on my new website over the next few weeks. Check it out here.

The 2nd Marc Dane novel Exile arrives in US bookstores next month, and the 4th book in the series Shadow hits at the end of May in the UK.

David Mack and Greg Cox like this.
  2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just found out that Una McCormack has a new original novel coming out on the 14th.
    The Undefeated:
    Una McCormack's The Undefeated is a thrilling space opera adventure featuring a no holds barred heroine on the front lines of an intergalactic war...

She was a warrior of words.

As a journalist she exposed corruption across the Interstellar Commonwealth, shifting public opinion and destroying careers in the process.

Long-since retired, she travels back to the planet of her childhood, partly through a sense of nostalgia, partly to avoid running from humanity’s newest—and self-created—enemy, the jenjer.

Because the enemy is coming, and nothing can stand in its way.

Sto-Vo-Kory likes this.
  3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Update: The eSpec Kickstarter campaign has successfully funded Defending the Future: In Harm's Way, and is now less than $450 from funding Footprints in the Stars. There are 17 days left.

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Gotta show off: THE Gerry Conway (of Marvel and DC Comics fame) just tweeted about my COURT OF OWLS book, calling it "a damn fine BATMAN novel."

Won't lie. That made my day.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  5. Christopher

Also a good day for me and the others in the Footprints in the Stars anthology, which has now met its Kickstarter funding goal. Though there are still 11 days left in the campaign, a third collection to fund, and several more bonuses to unlock, including bonus stories by Keith R.A. DeCandido.

trampledamage and Greg Cox like this.
  6. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but I liked ANYWHEN by Blish

Greg Cox likes this.
  7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Very cool.

Greg Cox likes this.
  8. Greg Cox

I hadn't thought of extending this thread backwards in time, but if we're going there: Theodore Sturgeon wrote any number of memorable works including More Than Human, Some of Your Blood, Venus Plus X, plus any number of classic sf and fantasy short stories, including one of my all-time favorite titles: "If All Men were Brothers, Would You Let One Marry Your Sister?"

9. Christopher

^What, we veer into past Trek authors' prose works and you don't mention Richard Matheson? Who are you and what have you done with Greg?

Robert Bloch wrote plenty of horror fiction, including the novel that Psycho was based on. There were a lot of other prose-SF authors who wrote for TOS, including Jerry Sohl, George Clayton Johnson, Norman Spinrad, and of course Harlan Ellison.

Greg Cox and trampledamage like this.
  10. Greg Cox

Hah! I thought of Matheson, of course, but it was early and I didn't have the energy to list all his credits. :)

11. Christopher

One more announcement for me: My first fantasy story to see print, "The Melody Lingers," will be published in the July issue of Galaxy's Edge Magazine. Their website is at http://www.galaxysedge.com/, and has ordering links for the magazine (e-book and print) plus select stories from the current issue for free, though I don't know yet whether mine will be one of those for the next issue.

Greg Cox likes this.
  12. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

One of the authors of the Prometheus series, Bernd Perplies has a new fantasy novel that is going to be released in English, with a translation by Lucy van Cleef, next February.
    Here's the blurb posted in Tor.com's announcement:

Jinn and trampledamage like this.
  14. KRAD

I'm in three anthologies you can either preorder or get your mitts on now!

Thrilling Adventure Yarns is edited by the mighty Robert Greenberger, a familiar name to Trek-o-philes, and features pulp stories by Trek scribes Peter David, David Mack, Keith R.A. DeCandido, Michael Jan Friedman, Glenn Hauman, Robert T. Jeschonek, Paul Kupperberg, Derek Tyler Attico, and Aaron Rosenberg, as well as a bunch more folks, including a new story by Doc Savage creator Lester Dent! The Kindle edition is available for preorder -- the book itself will debut at Shore Leave 41 in July, and be available soon thereafter.

https://www.amazon.com/Thrilling-Adventure-Yarns-Robert-Greenberger-ebook/dp/B07S4K5PSZ

Brave New Girls: Adventures of Gals and Gizmos is the latest in the Brave New Girls series of YA charity anthologies that benefit the Society of Women Engineers, edited by Paige Daniels & Mary Fan, is also available for preorder on Kindle, and the trade paperback is available now! The anthology includes stories by Trek scribes Keith R.A. DeCandido and Aaron Rosenberg, and many more cool folks

https://www.amazon.com/Brave-New-Girls-Adventures-Gizmos-ebook/dp/B07SFTQ52V
    https://www.amazon.com/Brave-New-Girls-Adventures-Gizmos/dp/1072263165

Finally, Unearthed is another charity anthology, this one edited by Kara Dennison, which features stories about unearthed containers and the mysteries they contain. Features stories by Trek scribes Keith R.A. DeCandido and John Peel, as well as a bunch of other nifty people, the anthology benefits the American Research Center in Egypt.

https://www.amazon.com/Unearthed-Kara-Dennison-ebook/dp/B07S479GSL

15. Christopher

Galaxy's Edge #39 is now out and available to read online (or purchase if you want something more permanent) at http://www.galaxysedge.com/. In addition to my story "The Melody Lingers," the issue has stories by fellow Trek Lit veterans Joe Haldeman, Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Kevin J. Anderson, and Robert Jeschonek, among numerous others.

16. KRAD

Another anthology I'm in with some fellow Trek word-slingers is available for preorder and will be debuting at Shore Leave (along with Thrilling Adventure Yarns and Brave New Girls: Adventures of Gals & Gizmos): Footprints in the Stars, which is the second of eSpec Books's "Beyond the Cradle" series of science fiction anthologies. This is an anthology about learning of alien life -- not actual first contacts, but the first evidence of life beyond our world.

Fellow Trek scribes Christopher L. Bennett, Robert Greenberger, Aaron Rosenberg, and Dayton Ward all have stories in this nifty new antho. Ordering links at this blog entry:

https://decandido.wordpress.com/2019/07/03/preorder-footprints-in-the-stars/

17. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

James Swallow wrote a thriller novel called Shadow that released this May. Has anyone read it? What do you think?

18. Christopher

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Those sounds pretty cool, I might check them out when they're released.

20. Christopher

I only just found out that Crimes of the Hub, my second collection of Hub stories, has been on sale for a couple of weeks now. More info and ordering links at my blog:

https://christopherlbennett.wordpress.com/2019/07/18/crimes-of-the-hub-is-out/

In other original fiction news, I’ve been informed that the new Green Blaze story “Conventional Powers” will be in the September/October 2019 issue of Analog. So far, this year has seen the release of Star Trek Adventures: The Gravity of the Crime, ST:TOS: The Captain’s Oath, “The Melody Lingers,” Crimes of the Hub, and “The Stuff that Dreams Are Made Of,” and still to come in 2019 we have three more STA campaigns, “Conventional Powers,” and Arachne’s Crime. That’s ten distinct publications in one year, breaking my previous record in 2010!

trampledamage and DrCorby like this.