Trek III 35th

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Khan 2.0, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

I don't know if they went down a different route because the story was leaked, or because they just wanted a simpler story. It's an interesting outline for a potentially more ambitious story which would have still resurrected Spock. I agree that Robin Curtis's Saavik is a different character than Kirstie Alley's Saavik. Kirstie Alley gave the character more humor and emotion while Curtis made her a straightedged Vulcan. I thought Curtis was good overall but I never liked her "David is dead" delivery. That seemed a little cold.

STEPhon IT likes this.
  2. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

Maybe IDW should adapt Bennetts original 'Return to Genesis' outline (with 1984 Kirstie Alley likeness as Saavik, Edward James Olmos as the Romulan commander)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  3. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I like to think Saavik delivered the line that way because she was struggling to maintain her emotional control.

Cyfa, XCV330 and Armus like this.
  4. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

It made sense to me in that regard. It was Saavik being Vulcan about it. But it was a character break because we'd seen how she'd reacted to death before, in TWOK when she visibly and audibly reacted to Peter Preston being carried on the bridge by Scotty.

Its easy to pick apart Curtis' portrayal of Saavik. It's not as interesting as Alley's version of the role, and I agree as has been said, not the same character. I want to be fair to the actress. I like ST3 a lot. But Saavik 2.0 is the nail sticking up on an otherwise nicely finished build.

I mean, no one could work magic on this line:

DAVID: If I hadn't, it might have been years, ...or never!
    SAAVIK: How many have paid the price for your impatience? How many have died? How much damage have you done? ...And what is yet to come?

(How many poignant questions can I throw at you without taking a breath. How many of them can I deliver in monotone. Can I stick some foreshadowing about yours and this planets eminent demise on the end of this line so I don't have to do it in a few minutes?)
    editors cut:

SAAVIK: How many have paid the price for your impatience? How many have died? How much damage have you done? How many ounces is in a liter? When do we set our watches for daylight savings time on Genesis? How long is a string? Why did I get a perm before I transferred to Grissom? What is the deal with me and Spockboy rubbing fingers? Why is a Vulcan asking rhetorical questions?...And what is yet to come?

5. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Curtis played the role the way Nimoy directed her to.

Kor

JonnyQuest037 and Vger23 like this.
  6. penguin44

penguin44 Captain Captain

Just watched this tonight for the first time in a few years. I have to say, Kruge is pretty bad ass. Unlike many other before him, he called Kirk on his bluff. His only mistake was giving Kirk 2 minutes. Other than that, he's a very good adversary. Right there with Khan.

Armus likes this.
  7. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I saw it in the theater opening weekend and found it a letdown. It's remained that since. It feels cheap and it's visually a step down from TWOK. The VFX are pretty good, even if the giant space garage is dumb.

Daddy Todd, STEPhon IT and Galileo7 like this.
  8. Defiler-Of-Redshirts

Defiler-Of-Redshirts Commander Red Shirt

Best line in the movie was when Sarek said, "Forgive me, T'Lar, but my logic is uncertain where my son is concerned."

JonnyQuest037 and penguin44 like this.
  9. Two-Bit

Two-Bit Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

nice! i never noticed that! the same costume is what i'm referring to.

10. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

ST II, III, and IV all felt very different--as if a decade or more separated them. Movie-making matured fast.

11. Khan 2.0

12. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

Robin looks great back in the make-up and uniform! And such a smile - she is clearly enjoying herself :) #myfavouritesaavik

13. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

^^^I saw her at a con in Knoxville, Tennessee in 1992 (with Jimmy Doohan). While Doohan performed the stand-up routine I had read about for years, Curtis was impromptu, funny, and very honest about her struggles to maintain an acting career.

Sir Rhosis

JonnyQuest037 and Cyfa like this.
  14. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

I would disagree with characterizing Kirk as a maverick. The movies certainly told us that he was a rule-breaking maverick, but he really didn't break rules or disobey orders on TOS as much as the movies suggested. Kirk would bend the rules sometimes, but that was usually under his discretion as Captain. The only time I remember him openly defying orders on TOS was to save Spock's life in "Amok Time," and that was under extreme circumstances.

What TOS Kirk was was an original thinker. He would think outside the box and, when presented with an impossible choice, he would usually come up with a third option that got him out of the fix he was in. I'm thinking of stuff like coming up with the Corbomite Maneuver or knowing that Spock was a man of integrity in both universes and convincing Mirror Spock in just a few minutes that overthrowing the Empire was the most logical option. That's Captain Kirk.

I think they wrote Kirk differently in the movies because by the 1980s, our heroes were usually rebels and rule breakers. In the early 60s when Star Trek was conceived, it was still possible to be a cool person from the authority and the establishment. There was a total paradigm shift by the 1980s, because Vietnam and Watergate had taught Americans that people in authority were sometimes hideously wrong. It's a lesson we've never entirely forgotten since.
    Yeah, but that's what Nimoy wanted as a director, so we can't really fault Curtis for giving him the performance he wanted. She's said in interviews over the years that she also thought that delivery was really flat.

I actually saw TSFS before I ever saw TWOK, so I saw Curtis' Saavik first. But over time I've come to appreciate Alley's Saavik much more. She's just a much more intriguing character to me.
    Aw, that's great! It's so fun when actors go the extra mile for cons like that. She looks like she's hardly aged.

publiusr and IronWaffle like this.
  15. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, technically she's not an actor anymore. I believe she hung up her scripts (is that an expression?) over 20 years ago, and is now a realtor somewhere in New York state.

But that being said -- yeah, that was a great picture! Too bad Saavik still seems to be a lieutenant.

16. Khan 2.0

Gary Mitchell and Sir Rhosis like this.