Trek guest actors in maybe surprising roles

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Maurice, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hell, I still have most of Mod Squad, all of Name of the Game, and I Spy to watch!
    I'm just kinda taking a break from the 60s shows since I discovered the Netflix Marvel shows.

2. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tony Young in Streets of San Francisco's No Badge for Benjy!
    JB

3. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This thread is almost the Supervolt Weasel compared to the Axathread.

4. gottacook

gottacook Captain Captain

They've started showing Mannix on MeTV, and I hadn't realized that it was (initially) a Desilu series, with its first season (1967-68) having been shot at the same time as Star Trek season 2. Tonight is the last episode of Mannix season 1 (the season where he drives a customized roofless Oldsmobile Toronado and works for a company run by Joe Campanella), and three different actors from season 2 of Star Trek appear in this one episode: Leslie Parrish (who'd been in an episode of The Lieutenant in 1964), William Windom, and Michael Pataki. There have been others, too - the previous episode featured both Michael Strong and Ted Cassidy (although they may not have had any scenes together as they did in "What Are Little Girls...").

5. Forbin

Gottacook, if you go back thru this thread from the beginning, you'll see a lot of Mannix posts from my rewatch of the whole series. Some of the pics may be missing since I changed website hosts at one point.

J.T.B. likes this.
  6. gottacook

Admiral! Forbin, of course I realized that was a possibility, but I was impatient to mention this because the episode was on at that moment; these performances are worth seeing, and MeTV is (apparently) giving Mannix its first national broadcast airing in decades. I will go seek out those posts in a quiet moment.

Besides the casting director being the same guy for both series, there are other overlaps in 1967-68 among the crew and writers: John Meredyth Lucas was involved in more than a few first-season Mannix episodes, and Trek composers George Duning and Jerry Fielding are each credited at least once.

7. Forbin

There's also an episode with Leslie Parrish as an artist's model, and she wears the Greek gown from Who Mourns for Adonais. :lol:

8. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought for sure that I saw a screencap of Strong and Cassidy in Mannix in the thread, but I can't search it up. Maybe my brain filled it in when I watched it.

Yeah, the MeTV offshoot H&I started showing it about two years ago.

If you catch an episode called "The Many Deaths of St. Christopher," you can hear much of Dunning's "Metamorphosis" score. I don't know which came first.

9. johnnybear

I saw both Steve Inhat and Sam Gilman in Gunsmoke's Noose of Gold yesterday as well!
    JB

10. gottacook

On Heroes & Icons right now, there's an episode of the anthology series Police Story from 1973-74 that doesn't seem to have been noted here. Darren McGavin is the lead, and his wife Kathie Browne is featured along with Leslie Parrish, John Fiedler (not playing Jack the Ripper although the episode is called "The Ripper"), and Barry Atwater*. That's four different players from seasons 2-3 of Star Trek, plus McGavin, Pat Carroll, Marcia Strassman, and other interesting actors - and written by Don ("Alternative Factor") Ingalls.

*Atwater was also the vampire Janos Skorzeny who was tracked by McGavin two years earlier in the original Night Stalker TV movie.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    CorporalCaptain and J.T.B. like this.
  11. J.T.B.

^ Wow. Not too many "quads" out there. I haven't seen Police Story since I was little, and unfortunately I am not in range of an H&I affiliate.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's also four different Kolchak: The Night Stalker players in one episode. In addition to McGavin and Atwater, Browne played a police lieutenant in the final episode, and Fiedler appeared three times as morgue attendant Gordy "the Ghoul" Spangler. Not to mention that "The Ripper" was also the title of the first Kolchak episode, which means that McGavin appeared in two television episodes of that title in the same calendar year, the Police Story episode in February '74 and the Kolchak debut in September '74. That's rather remarkable.

I see the Police Story episode in question also featured Peter Mark Richman, who was a TNG guest star.

J.T.B. likes this.
  13. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jeffrey Hunter as Little Dog, son of a Cheyenne chief, in White Feather (1955).

Kor

14. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Honey West 1x18, "King of the Mountain," features a particularly recognizable guest cast: Future Trek guest David Opatoshu, Dennis Patrick from Dark Shadows, Charles Lane from It's a Wonderful Life, and future recurring 007 nemesis Richard Kiel.

15. johnnybear

Mariette Hartley, Steve Sandor in Streets of San Francisco's Shield of Honor!
    JB

16. J.T.B.

Morgan Woodward as a mobster in John Cassavetes's The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, 1976.
    [​IMG]

17. Forbin

Mod Squad season 3, "A Time of Hyacinths," surprisingly featured Vincent Price in a sympathetic role, and then threw Warren Stevens at us as the slimy villain. Considering some of the previous eps were hackneyed social conscience stories, this one was a very good romantic gothic ghost story (that of course turned out to not be a ghost).

18. Forbin

I had Tarzan on H&I this morning during breakfast, and there was Nichelle!! No screen grab, but I found a publicity photo of her in costume:
    [​IMG]

19. johnnybear

Warren Stevens was always the slimy villain! But then again he was a red herring in an episode of Voyage to The Bottom of The Sea once where you suspected him of being the spy but he turned out to be the good guy instead!
    JB

20. HGN2001

HGN2001 Captain Captain

None other than the William Shatner himself as a bad-guy millionaire in the second episode of BARNABY JONES in 1973.

[​IMG]

J.T.B. likes this.