Trek guest actors in maybe surprising roles

My wife and I were doing our nightly watch of the old Perry Mason series – we’re up to Season 9 (the last).

Me and my mom are on the 4th last episode. There are apparently TV movies, too, but we haven't got those DVDs.

I thought that the young doctor in tonight's sounded a lot like Leonard Nimoy. When I got a good look at his face, I decided it wasn’t that man, but pretty close.

I always remember that
in the episode Nimoy does guest star in, that "Spock did it".

Nimoy, Takei, and Kelley all had guest spots. Pity the others didn't.

Since Elisha Cook was everywhere, he, of course, turns up in the Rawhide episode "Incident in the Middle of Nowhere." But just in the middle of the episode.

rawcook.jpg

Since Elisha Cook was everywhere, he, of course, turns up in the Rawhide episode "Incident in the Middle of Nowhere." But just in the middle of the episode.

rawcook.jpg
But, when last seen, was his character still alive? (Before Sean Bean and Paul Carr, Elisha Cook was the guy, whenever you saw him in anything, whose character stood a 95% chance of being killed before the end of the story.)

The Rawhide episode "Incident Before Black Pass" featured, God help us, Nimoy as a trouble-making Kiowa warrior, and Arthur Batanides as a superstitious gypsy cowboy.

rawhideblackpass.jpg

Also present was Robert Sampson, who was apparently somewhere in "A Taste of Armageddon," as a cavalry Lt.

Creature Features is showing the Irwin Allen made for tv movie 'Flood!' and Whit Bissell is playing the local town doctor.

William Campbell has a short scene as a doctor in QUINCY M.E. (1983)
7sSWT54.jpg

I just realized how much William Campbell and Bernard Fox should have played brothers. They were very close in age, talked pretty much the same, and resembled each other. It's crazy that I never caught it before this.

Along with playing Dr. Bombay on Bewitched, Fox appeared on practically every TV show of his era, and he made a rare two crossings on the Titanic (A Night to Remember and the 1997 Cameron blockbuster). Okay, David Warner also sailed twice, counting the Cameron and 1979's S.O.S. Titanic.

But getting back to Bernard Fox: he would have made a great Professor Crater, or Plasus in "The Cloud Minders." In Star Trek Year 4, he could have played Captain Koloth's feuding brother, with the Enterprise trying to "break it up" between two Klingon warships. Kind of a missed opportunity there.

Given that Skip Homeier played a couple of megalomaniacs on TOS (not to mention a mad scientist in the Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea episode, "The Amphibians" [1x26]), and seemed to be very good at playing insane bad guys, I was very surprised back in the late 1970s or early 1980s, when he played one of the good guys in at least one of his two appearances on Qunicy, ME (either 4x21, "An Ounce of Prevention" or 7x24, "The Mourning After"; maybe both).

Harry Townes as a local lawyer (who doesn't ride a horse very well) giving Gil Favor some tsuris in the Rawhide ep "Incident of the Night on the Town."

rawtownes01.jpg

rawtownes02.jpg

rawtownes03.jpg

I didn't even know this existed: the Outer Limits episode "Cold Hands, Warm Heart," stars Shatner as an astronaut who comes home from Venus with uncontrollable chills. The mission code-name was Project Vulcan. Shat's doctor is Malachi Throne. Two of the techs on Project Vulcan are James B. Sikking and Lawrence Montaigne.

outercold-01.jpg

outercold-02.jpg

outercold-03.jpg

outercold-04.jpg

outercold-05.jpg

outercold-06.jpg

Bonus Trek foreshadowing fun: Garrovick's vent a la "Obsession," Shat in a spacesuit floating against the stars a la "Tholian Web," Shat in an atmosphere chamber with a round window a la "Space Seed," and, is that the same campus from "Operation Annihilate"?
outercold-07.jpg

outercold-08.jpg

outercold-09.jpg

outercold-10.jpg

Man, what a lot of fun pre-Trek references in this one!
And of course, the ep ended with Shat kissing the woman (non-Trek woman Gerladine Brooks).

Back