Trek guest actors in maybe surprising roles

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Maurice, Mar 12, 2013.

1. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tom Anfinson, David Armstrong, Nick Borgani in The Trevi collection, an episode of Kolchak:The Night Stalker!
    JB

2. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was quick, but Admiral Komack (Byron Morrow) showed up as an Air Force general in the Matt Helm film The Wrecking Crew.

3. Forbin

My (out of order) Matt Helm festival ends with The Ambushers. James Gregory was of course on hand as Matt's boss. The Launch control panel is NOT the same prop as the Romulan control panel from Balance of Terror, but it's damn close!

[​IMG]

And there was a big fight scene with evil henchman Cloud William.
    [​IMG]

4. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

McGarrett uses watching some surfers as an opportunity to flirt with Sabrina Scharf...and engage in small talk about her father's genetic engineering research:
    H517.jpg
    (Hawaii Five-O, "Forty Feet High and It Kills!," Oct. 8, 1969)

ZapBrannigan likes this.
  5. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Has this thread gone on for seven years without anyone posting an image of Gary Lockwood in "Love and the Doorknob"?
    LAS01.jpg
    (Love, American Style, Oct. 13, 1969)

ETA:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    CorporalCaptain and Henoch like this.
  6. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Twilight Zone wasn’t the only time Shatner had trouble on an airplane. I think a spook shoved him out of a jet in an old movie. Seeing Kirk done that way as a young child was upsetting.

7. Forbin

Well, it took Matt Helm a good 5 minutes of fight scene to kill Cloud William. Our Man Flint dropped him like a sack of tribbles in a couple of seconds.
    [​IMG]

Also, there was an Organian mad scientist.
    [​IMG]

8. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You ever wondered what kind of happy pills they gave Cloud William so his voice would be so low and dramatic in The Omega Glory?*

*I know they messed with the speed of his voice recording.

9. Forbin

I did not know that!

PCz911 likes this.
  10. Forbin

BTW, I thought it was hysterical that Organian actor Peter Brocco played mad scientist "Dr. Wu" in Our Man Flint, while Asian actor Benson Fong played "Dr. Schneider," and at no time during the movie is the anomoly pointed out. :lol: I can imagine someone deciding to swap names just before production started to see if anyone notices. Brilliant.

11. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Since Our Man Flint was spoofing the spy-story genre in general and the then-recently-popular Bond movies in particular, I imagine it was also playing on Joseph Wiseman's titular character in Dr. No and dialing it up a few notches for comedic effect.

ZapBrannigan likes this.
  12. johnnybear

John Fiedler in The Youth Killer, an episode of Kolchak:The Night Stalker and directed by Don McDougall!
    JB

13. Talos IV

Talos IV Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Not quite "guest stars," but seeing STAR TREK's composer working with LOST IN SPACE's composer on Fiddler on the Roof made me happy this morning somehow.

[​IMG]

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Another collaboration between John Williams and Alexander Courage was Superman IV: The Quest for Peace, where Courage scored the film based on Williams's themes -- sort of halfway between composing and orchestration (and basically the same job Ken Thorne had on the previous two Superman movies).

I think my father (a classical radio announcer and something of an authority on music) once told me -- probably in connection with a discussion of Superman IV -- that Courage was considered one of the great film orchestrators, more famous in industry circles as an orchestrator than as a composer.

Talos IV likes this.
  15. M'Sharak

True, Courage was already well-established in the industry as an orchestrator of music by other composers (incl. Williams, Andre Previn and Jerry Goldsmith) before becoming known as a composer himself.

Indeed, orchestration is in a way the more difficult job to do well; most composers learn to do a workmanlike orchestration of their own works, but only a handful really stand out for their orchestrations. In more recent film music, Hans Zimmer and Danny Elfman are two well-known names who would have been nowhere without the orchestrators on their staffs, and outside the industry there are pieces now quite highly-regarded which might never have been heard in their now-familiar orchestral form if not for the arranging skills of people like Maurice Ravel, Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, Alexander Glazunov or Ferde Grofé.

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  16. Forbin

Took me three days to finish In Like Flint thanks to a 50-hour blackout courtesy of Tropical Storm Isaias!
    LORD Garth features as an insane ZOWIE general trying to take over the world:
    [​IMG]

...and he actually ends up hijacking a spacecraft to become a crazy spaceship commander!
    [​IMG]

And Yvonne Craig features as a Russian ballerina friend of Flint's who he pumps for information.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Henoch likes this.
  17. johnnybear

Gilbert Green in Wednesday's Child, an episode of Police Woman!
    JB

18. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This post pretty much answers my question of "Is an orchestrator anything like an arranger?" I knew the term 'arranger' from many songs my high school choir put on, but was unfamiliar with 'orchestrator' until now. Thank you for the information.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yep, it's basically an arranger, but for an orchestra.

20. M'Sharak

If there's a difference, it's that an arranger takes a piece or song already set up to be played by one group of instruments and resets it for a different group of instruments (often a larger or smaller group,) while an orchestrator takes a condensed melodic idea as it was written on paper by the composer -- frequently in the form of a piano score -- and expands it, assigning different lines from the piano score to different groups of orchestral instruments so that it all works together as a whole.