Trek guest actors in maybe surprising roles

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Maurice, Mar 12, 2013.

1. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Susan Oliver, Byron Morrow, Barry Russo, Garth Pillsbury in The Ivy Curtain, an episode of The Invaders!
    JB

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  2. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

It's amazing the number of people who contributed to that short-lived series.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Not really. The Invaders was contemporaneous with Star Trek, so naturally they both drew from the same pool of established actors and thus had a lot of overlap. Casting directors like to go with proven talents, so shows that are on at the same time will tend to use a lot of the same people.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  4. johnnybear

Those same actors probably did the rounds on all the top shows from that era and then films too!
    JB

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  5. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Like Space 1999? I wonder if we find most of them there too.

6. Christopher

That was made in England, so there weren't many American actors in it aside from the leads. Also it's a 1970s production.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  7. johnnybear

Joan Collins and Karl Held are the only two actors from Trek that appeared in Space 1999 that I can think of! ;)
    JB

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  8. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Saw John Hoyt (Dr. Boyce in 'The Cage') as the bad guy on an episode of Laramie airing on the digital subchannel Grit yesterday.

9. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

And this episode became the basis for an episode of Mad Men years later, footage from it being used in the episode.

10. johnnybear

I'm pretty sure that Ian Wolfe appeared in some of the Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes movies in the nineteen forties! Sherlock Holmes And The Secret Code (1946) The Pearl of Death (1944) Sherlock Holmes in Washington (1943) and even The Invisible Man's Revenge (1944) even though these films were only twenty odd years earlier than Star Trek, they seemed somehow older and visually from a much different age!
    JB

11. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Boston Legal, I think, rather than Mad Men?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0977321/trivia?item=tr0747127
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0977321/reference

Shaka Zulu and GNDN18 like this.
  12. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course they recast the character Joseph Gordon. Steve McQueen would have been rather stiff at this late date.

Sorry.

M'Sharak likes this.
  13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Boston Legal used footage from Studio One ("The Defender," the two-part episode that was essentially a pilot for The Defenders).

Mad Men
    used footage from The Defenders ("The Benefactor," a first season episode that tackles abortion).

CorporalCaptain, M'Sharak and GNDN18 like this.
  14. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

This one just came up for me as this week's 50th anniversary episode: "The Day They Raided the Knights" (Jan. 11, 1969).

15. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've always been impressed with Walter Koenigs role on Babylon 5; I got the impression that Alfred Bester had a bit of russian heritage, but he was just fantastic.
    I enjoyed seeing Dr. Kelso (from Scrubs) on Babylon 5, and on a rewatch realizing he'd guest starred as a Federation scientist in that TNG episode about the nanites. God, that angry old geezer used to be young!

Late last year, after scratching my head for the first two installments, I realized that the Vulcan chancellor? prime minister? from the Enterprise 3-parter in Season 4 was played by Robert Foxworth, who also portrayed Admiral Leyton in DS9 Homefront/Paradise Lost; and if I ever see him guest starring in another show I will automatically assume he's at the top of some nefarious conspiracy. Interestingly enough, at the time that Homefront went into production, he had to decline an invitation to reprise his role as General Hague in Babylon 5 due to scheduling conflicts, and B5 killed him off-screen. Must be a conspiracy.

16. Christopher

Well, Walter Koenig actually is ethnically Russian. Chekov's accent was based on Koenig's parents' accent, which was influenced by the time they spent living in Lithuania before coming to the US.

I'll always think of Foxworth as the hero of the Gene Roddenberry-Gene Coon pilot movie The Questor Tapes. I got so used to thinking of him as a good guy that it was surprising to see him as a villain on DS9 and later ENT.

17. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

So here's James Gregory as a sheriff leading a posse of men across the Southwestern desert in an obscure TV Western series called The Outcasts.

18. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

I think I saw at least one episode of that series.

19. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Steve Inhat guested in this week's 50th anniversary episode of Mission: Impossible, "The Mind of Stefan Miklos" (Jan. 12, 1969), just over a week following his appearance on Trek. Other guests included Jason Evers, Vic Perrin, and toss in non-Trekker Ed Asner for good measure.

20. Christopher

It's a shame that Ed Asner never played a TNG-era Klingon. Although his character of Hudson on Gargoyles looked a bit like one.