Travelers Season 3 Review Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Tom, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Honestly, I felt it was at least circling the shark in season 3. It was a little too contrived about ruining all the main characters' lives at the same time in order to make things bad enough to lead to the climactic decision. And I believe I commented above on how much Mac ended up seeming like an abusive, gaslighting husband sometimes, which was pretty unpleasant to watch.

2. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

I have to admit, I was REALLY uncomfortable with Kat and Mac's storyline. I feel like they meant Mac to come off as romantic, but he was a borderline rapist.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's the problem -- it's not even borderline. Having sex with someone by pretending to be someone you're not is legally defined as rape by fraud. That whole aspect of the show was really creepy. To be fair, they did acknowledge to an extent that it was problematical and dark, but they were ambivalent about it and, as you say, often treated it as a love story when it really shouldn't have been.

You could make a case that Marcy was doing something similar with David, but since their romance didn't begin until after she was downloaded, I guess it doesn't quite count. And IIRC, Trevor broke up with his host's girlfriend early on, Carly was estranged from her husband, and Philip didn't have any romantic involvements I can think of, so it didn't become an issue with them.