Spoilers TP: Raise the Dawn by DRGIII Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Jun 17, 2012.

?

Rate Raise the Dawn.

1. Outstanding

84 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. Above Average

26 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. Average

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. Below Average

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. Poor

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. Toefur

Toefur Commander Red Shirt

Re: Typhon Pact: Raise the Dawn by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

The best thing about this book, imo, is that it potentially sets the stage to resume telling DS9 focused stories with DS9 characters. Essentially a DS9 relaunch-relaunch. :)

I really wish Elias hadn't been killed off, though.

2. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's still early, but right now Raise the Dawn is the highest-ranked novel not written by David Mack in my little comparison table. Not bad for an author who's had to take as much flak as DRGIII has recently ...

3. starri

starri Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Crying big manly tears here.

In all seriousness, in Twilight, the description of Vaughn at the Vahni Vahtupali memorial service when he sees them start to change colors and then realizes that they were singing was one of the first TrekLit moments that ever really hit me square in the chest. Seeing them again in PoN and briefly referenced in RtD had much the same effect.

The other two moments that really caught me were
    Asarem telling the very guilty Captain Ro that the loss of the station wasn't her fault and that she'd done a good job rescuing as many people as she had...the need for forgiveness is something that's always been a key driver for Ro and it was articulated in a particularly beautiful way. As for Vaughn, I had had a fragment of Ulysses running through my head completely randomly BEFORE I picked up the book, so I think seeing the same passage quoted hit me harder than it might have.

And as for the ending...
    Kira Nerys is, bar none, my favorite character Star Trek has ever created. I could list a million reasons why, but I think it's just simpler to say that she is. And I guess I understand why people get upset when a favorite character dies. But, like all forms of genre, I don't like death being cheap, so it would really bother me if some future author wanted to bring her back. I know that's why they left it ambiguous, but she died saving her friend, saving Bajor, saving the Federation, and serving the Prophets. Which, I think, is exactly what she would have wanted. Not a regret for a single moment. That's why the hero is the hero.

4. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

This book is beyond brilliant. DS9 is finally back to being the premier series in the STEU. David does a masterful job of weaving all the characters back together and really paying off the first book in the duology. I love the character arch for Sisko, Bashir, Quark, O'brien, Kira, Odo, Nog, Ro and the rest. I am so hopeful in the course that the STEU seems to be taking with the Romulans being lead by such an amazing leader. Her and Baco make a great team. There was nothing in this book that I did not like. The best Star Trek book in years!

I do not think that Kira is dead and I get the feeling that, like Sisko at the end of the series, Kira will be back when the time is right and become Kai.

5. rfmcdpei

rfmcdpei Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There's a couple of different reasaons for screaming at the screen, in briefly, because the characters are doing things they wouldn't because they're being badly written, or because characters are doing things that they normally would even though we the reader don't want them to. Here, my screaming at the page was triggered by the second of these.

It was good to see Odo again, and how things stood with him and his merry band. Though with the wormhole closed for an indeterminate amount of time, I wonder when he'll get back to the Dominion and what we'll find thee?

Odo really should tell someone of import of what's happened in the Dominion and what's going on now. I think Starfleet would be willing to shuttle Odo over to the Dominion in one slipstream vehicle or another seeing how he's singlehandedly trying to humanize a galactic tyranny.

I liked Orventa T'Jul, too, but her death was something that was predictable: as a loyal Romulan, already mortified by the breakdown of two different plans, her ordering the self-destruct of the Eletrix as soon as capture became inevitable was inevitable.

One can make the case that a radical improvement of Federation-Romulan relations is necessary for the Hobus supernova to not trigger general conflict. Can you imagine what could happen if a still-illiberal Romulan state, say, placed the blame on the Federation for Hobus and launched a war of retaliation? Softly, softly ...

It's interesting to see more of the Gorn that we have. The Gorn are also being positioned as part of the moderate pro-Federation faction within the Pact, and the Imperator's displeasure with the Battle of DS9 is believeable.

Slask of S'nasgor was also present in Rough Beasts of Empire, as a go-between for Spock and Bacco who met the former on Terix II.

6. Shon T'Hara

Shon T'Hara Commander Red Shirt

Since Brinksmanship involves Cardassian diplomacy, I'm hoping he'll turn up there. Seeing Picard deal with him would be awesome.

7. Enterpriserules

It is really good to have DS9 caught up so that I can play a big role in the events with the rest of the crews!

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Has Picard ever actually met Garak?

9. starri

starri Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This was a little moment, but the scene Sisko was chewing out the Defiant XO for insubordination, I could totally hear Avery Brooks working up a good head of steam.

Although, what the heck happened to Spock?

10. rfmcdpei

rfmcdpei Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Point.

11. Stoek

Stoek Commander Red Shirt

Seconded.

12. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think I'm going to refrain from naming specific items here.

But the ending - in such ways as it was an ending - worked. It has the right mixture of finality and ambiguity. Constructively inconclusive, shall we say?

13. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Holy good god DAMN that was good. Jesus. I've often admired DRG3, but he really outdid himself with this one.

If you've been reading the 24th century stuff since Destiny and you were looking for anything else from this book, I just don't know what to tell you.

That moment with Vaughn and Kira in the wormhole gave me chills. I just sat there saying "wow" out loud a few times.

Knocked. It. Out. The. God. Damn. Park.

14. ICW

ICW Commander Red Shirt

I literally just finished the book and voted "Outstanding." Wow.

15. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Boy that didn't suck. Just finished it about 20 minutes ago & gotta say that was pretty damn awesome. I reread the end of Plagues Of Night right before diving into Raise The Dawn & envisioned Majels' voice: 'Last time on Star Trek: Typhon Pact'.

I won't go into specifics since I still haven't learned how to use the damn spoiler thing but I agree with Thrawn about the scene in the wormhole, the fates of both made me bow my head to them. I know they're characters in a book but I think most of us have grown to love them in one way or another.

The scene with Sisko & the Founders was good, found myself saying 'please let's not piss these guys off, again'.

The end was very cool, both Sisko & the last scene. I will admit that I was very pissed over Sisko's portrayal in RBoE, but I take it back because it makes sense now even though I can still hear Joseph Sisko scolding Ben, 'Benjamen Lafayette Sisko, what has gotten into you?'. As for the final scene, I hope that is the start of more stories.

I honestly have no idea what more one could want from these two books except for the Aventine to show up to get the whole band back together, but they weren't needed for this one.

I was sad about what apparently happened to Sela. It's too bad this franchise doesn't have carbonite to put her into cause she would have made a nice room decoration.

I really do enjoy the Typhon Pact storyline, just really has upped the game in the stories, not so much in the Voyager story yet but if there are Andorians in that fleet I can see that happen as we will I think in the next Titan novel. I also like it that even though there were chances in here to start a new war that it didn't happen, though I honestly wonder what is going through the Dominion's heads right now. They can't be happy.

I really don't want to see an all out war between the UFP & the Pact as some here are convinced will happen & I don't think it will. It really isn't in the best interest of either side nor the franchise, besides we already have war in Trek, its called Star Trek Online. I do enjoy this sniping back & forth that has been going on however, its been fun.

But as Praetor Kammenor said to President Bacco (minor spoiler): 'It's a big galaxy, I don't see why we can't share it'. That scene there has me strongly thinking she's gonna either be taken out or damn near. If the novels follow what happened in the Countdown comics (which they could ignore some of it) I think there is a different Praetor by 2387 which isn't far off now.

Did I mention I really liked the book?:bolian:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  16. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Although I got an email yesterday telling me that I should get this by 3rd July, I went downstairs and on the doormat was a delivery from The Book Depository and I'm about to dive in.

17. dispatcher812

dispatcher812 Commander Red Shirt

++++++++++CAUTION SPOILERS+++++++
    can't figure out the spoiler thing

Finished it last night and I echo everyone here. HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!! What an awesome book. My favorite parts were the interaction between President Bacco and the Praetor, and really any scene with the Praetor. Such a great Character and very well written.
    I am Glad to see DS9 being rebuilt. What I don't get is why O'Brien is still just a Chief. You would think that after all the casualties and the need for experienced officers they would have promoted him.
    Another thing I don't Understand is why this book and Plagues of Night labeled TNG. Seems they should be DS9. AS TNG, i wanted to see more with the Enterprise Crew.

I gave this an excellent rating for its character development and story line. great setup for future DS9 books. I got into the DS9 relaunch late but if we have a relaunch-relaunch, I will be reading. I was never a Ro fan but I REALLY love her as a Captain and seeing some of the DS9 crew return is excellent.

18. Enterpriserules

This makes me wonder, does Sisko stay the Captain of the Robinson or does he become an admiral stationed at DS9 or is the Robinson stationed in the Bajorian sector for extra security? It was great to have so many familiar faces come back to DS9, I am just hoping Sisko will be one of them to stick around.

19. Shon T'Hara

Shon T'Hara Commander Red Shirt

A couple things I don't get

Why did Pact put so much trust in Morad? A Cardassian terrorist who occasionally acts as an agent (really a glorified gofer) for the Pact doesn't seem like someone you'd trust with top secret knowledge about artificial wormholes. Nor do I see what purpose he served on the mission to the Gamma Quadrant -- he just stood on the warbird's bridge the whole time.

Also

Why wasn't the Federation willing to return Odo to the Dominion? Even if the wormhole never reopens, slipstream means the galaxy is getting a lot smaller. Starfleet should want to maintain good relations with the Dominion. The trip wouldn't even have to be a special mission to deliver Odo home -- Starfleet told the Pact vessels to clear out of the GQ, but there are presumably still some Accord ships stuck over there, and the Federation will need to dispatch someone to bring the crews home.

20. Enterpriserules

Also

Why wasn't the Federation willing to return Odo to the Dominion? Even if the wormhole never reopens, slipstream means the galaxy is getting a lot smaller. Starfleet should want to maintain good relations with the Dominion. The trip wouldn't even have to be a special mission to deliver Odo home -- Starfleet told the Pact vessels to clear out of the GQ, but there are presumably still some Accord ships stuck over there, and the Federation will need to dispatch someone to bring the crews home.
    [/QUOTE]

There are very few ships with slipstream at the moment, so it would no be worth it to send a ship to the GammaQ right now just to get him home; especially with the TP breathing down their throats