Spoilers TP: Brinkmanship by Una McCormack Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Sep 16, 2012.

?

Rate Brinkmanship.

1. Outstanding

25 vote(s)
    26.0%
  2. Above Average

47 vote(s)
    49.0%
  3. Average

18 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Below Average

4 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. Poor

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

The historically DS9-focused Una McCormack is branching out and set to take on the TNG crew - along with with that of Captain Dax' Aventine - in Typhon Pact: Brinkmanship on the 25th of this month. However, if the blurb's mention of the Cardassians is any indication, she still won't be missing out on an opportunity to further her highly-acclaimed take on one of the 24th century's primary antagonists and most recent allies.

Blurb time:

Excerpt's sadly not up yet, but it should appear here on the Simon & Schuster page within the next few days.

2. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And the people at S&S really couldn't be bothered with a better cover then this photoshop?

Atleast the actual novel could not be worse then the cover. ;) I love Una's work so far (The Neverending Sacrifice was fantastic!!), so can't wait to dig into this one. And I'm actually looking forward to reading more about Ezri and her crew, even though they are the least interesting crew out there for me.

3. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

Wow, I really want to read this! I've heard good things about Una McCormack's writing, and Captain Ezri's grown on me.

It'll be good to see Picard back in a bigger role again, since his crew were mostly guest stars in the last TP book.

I wonder if anymore DS9 crew will be involved, like Bashir, for instance?

4. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

This appears to be what more and more of the covers of Trek books will look like in future. May as well go for generic packaging, say black title on a white cover, like supermarket 'own brands'.

I can guarantee the contents will be better than the cover. Una's marvelous !

5. WarsTrek1993

I bet she is. I've heard nothing but good stuff about The Never-Ending Sacrifice!

6. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Really excited about this, I hope the Aventine and her crew will be the main focus, with the Enterprise playing a smaller role as in the last 2 TP books, we are getting a TNG trilogy starting next month after all!!

7. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Agreed. Captian Ezri and the Aventine Crew have grown on me as well:bolian:

8. WarsTrek1993

I'd like them to have an equal amount of screen time (page time), though I do agree that Ezri should have a big focus, she sort of took the back seat in Zero Sum Game, if I remember right.

9. Mage

Let's just hope Una will make Ezri less of an arrogant know-it-all. From the first relaunch novels, novel-Ezri has not been a very good character to me, even though I really liked Ezri in season 7 of DS9.

But I do agree the bigger focus should be on the Aventine, since the next three novels are TNG books.

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I've been looking forward to this since it was first announcement. Everything of Una McCormack's that I've read so far has been awesome, especially when Cardassians are involved. Ever since Andrew Robinson's brilliant A Stitch in Time, I've become a huge fan of Cardassian culture and history so naturally I'm really looking forward to this aspect of the novel. Plus more Ezri is always a good thing in my book! I can't wait! :D

11. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

*waits (im)patiently for the Kindle version to come out* :p

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm not sure "arrogant" is the right word there. To arrogate something is to assert a status or privilege to which one is not actually entitled. Dax has lived for over 300 years, done many different jobs, and been joined to a number of brilliant individuals. So any Trill who's joined to Dax is going to know, if not "it all," then certainly an exceptionally large percentage of "it." She's not just putting on airs, trying to act superior; she really is that smart, and she's just using what she's got, rather than resisting it as Ezri did in her first year as a joined Trill.

13. Hugh Cambridge

Hugh Cambridge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

^agreed but with this developpement, the character has become completely flat and uninteresting.
    T'ryssa's complex personality makes her charm, whereas Ezri has completely lost that for me.

14. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

I can't wait for this! I am very excited to see Ezri and Picard team up!

15. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

So end of the month... and probably another week to Canada. *sigh* Looking forward to it tho.

16. Mage

It's not the knowledge she has, it's the way she comes across as if everyone should agree with her, because. Perhaps that just how it comes across to me, and not how she was written. I'm just not a big fan of novel Ezri.

17. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

I am look forward to Ezri getting really spread her wings and get more development as a captain.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've enjoyed the other Una McCormack books I've read, and I'm a big fan of the Aventine crew so I'm really looking forward to this.

19. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it's mostly you to be honest; the only time she's come across poorly to me was at the start of one of This Gray Spirit, but I felt like that was just Jarman not having a handle on the character because she got better throughout the book.

I'm really excited for this book. Love Una McCormack's writing and any story with Dax and the Aventine is must-read for me!

20. Una McCormack

Una McCormack Writer Red Shirt

Thanks everyone for your enthusiasm about the book! Hope you enjoy it!