Spoilers TOS: Living Memory by Christopher L. Bennett - Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Klingolaus, Jun 11, 2021.

?

Rate Living Memory

1. Outstanding

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Above Average

9 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Average

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Below Average

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Says it out on July 8th on Amazon. They’re really weird when it comes to book releases, which is strange since they were originally a book shop.

2. David Weller

David Weller Commander Red Shirt

Where are you? If you’re outside the US, physical copies take a while to arrive.

3. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

My avatar should give you a hint.
    I know but some come before the release date. It’s just random with Amazon. Probably could have got it faster with Book Depository but they cost more

4. David Weller

David Weller Commander Red Shirt

I think Amazon put the date they expect copies to arrive. Sometimes it can be earlier, sometimes later.

This is one of the reasons I switched to ebooks.

5. mastadge

mastadge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm in USA, preordered the book on Amazon months ago, and they're currently saying "Now expected July 9".

Elwro likes this.
  6. Extrocomp

Extrocomp Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Winston is from the FASA role-playing game and The Sorrows of Empire.

TheAlmanac likes this.
  7. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thank you for clarifying that. BTW, my personal response to "It's an honor to meet you." (Which someone actually said to me once, under circumstances that I won't bore people with.) is "I'd rather that it be a pleasure than an honor, but at my age I'll take what I can get."

8. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A proposal: henceforth, may he be logged as John Winston Thomas Kyle?

Authors' discretion on this.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

When writing in the novelverse, I use character names previously established in the novelverse, where available. Alternate continuities are, well, alternate.

Ronald Held and Leto_II like this.
  10. Ríu ríu chíu

Ríu ríu chíu Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
    I suggest John Winston Matthew Thomas Kyle Crosby Stills Nash Young Merrill Lynch Pierce Sacco Vanzetti Gambolputty de von Ausfern-schplenden-schlitter-crasscrenbon-fried-digger-dingle-dangle-dongle-dungle-burstein-von-knacker-thrasher-apple-banger-horowitz-ticolensic-grander-knotty-spelltinkle-grandlich-grumblemeyer-spelterwasser-kurstlich-himbleeisen-bahnwagen-gutenabend-bitte-ein-nürnburger-bratwustle-gerspurten-mitzweimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-shönendanker-kalbsfleisch-mittler-aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm

JonnyQuest037, Leto_II and Klingolaus like this.
  11. Klingolaus

Klingolaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Potzblitz :klingon: ;)

12. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Finished!

Wow.
    Love the slow buildup of the interpersonal dramas and the larger mystery, giving the characterizations time to breathe before the action kicks into gear.

13. Christopher

Thanks! I was afraid it built up too slowly.

Markonian likes this.
  14. Elwro

Elwro Lieutenant Red Shirt

In the middle of the night my phone went DING to inform me that the audiobook of Living Memory has been added to my Storytel subscription! Yay! To be honest, I wanted to buy the paperback on release day, but Amazon tells me it'll only be available on July the 8th (and so probably a few days later at amazon.pl, which does not accept preorders). Frankly, I'm sorely tempted to listen to this immediately :-)

Markonian likes this.
  15. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

I'd recommend to listen to it first. It takes longer to listen than to read, so if you already knew the story from the book, it can feel like its taking ages for characters to move through a scene in an audiobook. You'll also remember less about the audiobook than the print edition, so you'll find more "novel" (pun halfway intended) elements in the latter during the reading.

Plus, the audiobook tells you how all the unfamiliar names are pronounced.

Elwro likes this.
  16. Elwro

I think you're right, especially about how much you remember from the different media. Still, as for names, sometimes it works in the opposite direction: you learn how some of them are written :-)

Markonian likes this.
  17. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I started reading this book last night .I thought the first chapter was interesting.

18. Elwro

I caved in, of course, and I'm an hour in. It's not slow at all: it's just interesting! :-)

Having thoroughly enjoyed The Captain's Oath, I was hoping for Sherev making an appearance -- and I got one, thanks :-)

19. Christopher

I was hoping to give her a larger role, perhaps as an Academy professor, but it didn't work out.

Leto_II and Elwro like this.
  20. mthompson1701

mthompson1701 Commander Red Shirt

I'm listening to the audio version (my eyes are so messed up I can't read print books anymore). I'm about 2/3rds of the way through chapter one right now, and really enjoying this. I'm curious to see where this story goes.