Spoilers TOS: Legacies: Book 3: Purgatory's Key by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Avro Arrow, Aug 21, 2016.

?

Rate Legacies: Book 3: Purgatory's Key

1. Outstanding

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  2. Above Average

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. Average

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  4. Below Average

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Holy Pama, I did not notice that either.

ElizSalem and JoeP like this.
  2. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Ready to start whenever I get it..

3. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've gotten a start on it, but thanks to this week's "Shakespeare Night" at Hollywood Bowl, (very good, but very LONG; I was there Tuesday night, and didn't get home until after 1:00 AM Thursday morning) I've been too sleep-deprived to get very far.

September 4th:

. . . anthotropic, at least as K't'lk would put it.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  4. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Enjoyed the whole trilogy, and liked the conclusion. I liked how each of the main characters got stuff to do, rather than just a few with the others in the background.

5. Sean_McCormick

Sean_McCormick Captain Captain

Especially cool is, that the blue and red books are essentially monotone, while the mustard/gold one has a big green wedge on the front.

Markonian likes this.
  6. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finally got my book in the mail. I look forward to reading it soon.:bolian:

7. JoeP

JoeP Captain Captain

I think that's why I hadn't noticed right away. It was only seeing the spines lined that it was obvious.

8. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I wasn't overly sold on this book - I think the overall story didn't require three books. I think another problem (and I think this is likely an editorial problem) is that the story of the Klingon ship felt very repetitive and covered the same ground as the enemy ship story in the previous book.

seigezunt likes this.
  9. Quimby

Quimby Lieutenant Red Shirt

One thing that confused me is they mentioned the Organian Peace Treaty multiple times as being in effect but I had the impression from the first two books that we were seeing what would be called the Organian Peace Treaty's creation on Centurus. If there was already a peace treaty, what exactly were Sarek and Gorkon negotiating?

10. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

What was put in place by the episode "Errand of Mercy" was a cease-fire. It was up to the two powers to negotiate a lasting, permanent ratified treaty.

Greg Cox likes this.
  11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

But "The Trouble With Tribbles" talked about the treaty's terms for colony development as if the treaty were already in place, yet Books 2-3 of this trilogy take place after "Tribbles" (there's that Klingon engineer who commends Scotty for beating up Korax) and show the treaty still being negotiated. That is a bit confusing.

12. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

I always viewed the treaty as something that would be revisited and refined often, as circumstances warrant/new situations are encountered/etc.

"Hey, we didn't think of _____. Now what do we do?"
    "We'll have to hash it out. Crap. Another meeting. Can we at least pick a decent planet this time?"

;)

Leto_II, TheAlmanac and Idran like this.
  13. Christopher

^Makes sense.

14. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Have the Izarians been portrayed as a separate species before? So far I thought they were Human colonists only, like Garth and Vale.

15. Christopher

Honestly, it was always ambiguous whether Garth was meant to be human or a humanoid alien. The books that introduced and developed Christine Vale interpreted Izar as a human colony, and so did the 1980 Star Trek Maps, but it was never clear in the episode, and there were probably some tie-in or fan things in the past that went the alien route.

16. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

Had a blast with Dayton on Literary Treks talking about the last book in the series. [​IMG]

17. Darkwing

Darkwing Commodore Commodore

The only such thing I know of is that FASA claimed Izar was a joint Terran / Alpha Centauran colony, meaning Garth could have been Terran Human, Alpha Cent Human (Like Cochrane back then), or mixed parentage. It'd be interesting to see if anyone else did come up with a more alien tie-in for Izar.

18. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I read this book and really liked it a lot . This was a fantastic miniseries for the 50th anniversary.

19. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Almost finished it. Was there ever any discussion about putting a picture of the Jatohr on the cover?

EDIT: Done. :) Or, for that matter, illustrating the Usildar?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  20. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

I finally finished the Legacies trilogy. I liked it. Now I'm ready to leave the TOS world and head to the DTI world.