Torres during a mutiny

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Rayleo02, May 15, 2018.

1. Brennyren

Brennyren Commodore Commodore

I don't think B'Elanna would ever side against Chakotay, unless he was very obviously not himself, in which case she would try to take him down quickly and quietly so no one else would hurt him.
    She also formed a strong habit of trusting his judgment in those hazardous decisions. I think that if he told her an action was necessary, she would act first and question later. Which is, if memory serves, pretty much what happened in "The Voyager Conspiracy."

catshadowsi8 likes this.
  2. catshadowsi8

catshadowsi8 Captain Captain

In Unity she clearly knows something is wrong on the shuttle and immediately says she wants the doctor to check him out. She is genuinely alarmed when he pulls the phaser on her but doesn't attack him. Instead, despite suspecting he is controlled by others, she tries to reason with him.

I agree it would have to be over the top for her to betray him. A simple mutiny would not be enough imo.

3. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, again, "The Voyager Conspiracy" was the 9th episode of s6 and although B'Eleana thought Seven's theory ridiculous and equally the fact that Chakotay firmly believed in it, she ended by siding him, not neessary verbally but simply, in obeying Chakotay's order.

----------
    extract of "The Voyager Conspiracy":

CHAKOTAY: I want you to add a point zero three variance to these shield modifications.
    TORRES: That'll disrupt the emitters.
    CHAKOTAY: And you'll need another six hours to get them back online. I know.
    TORRES: Have you run this by the Captain?
    CHAKOTAY: No, and I'm not going to. Not yet.
    (Chakotay brings Torres up to speed on Seven's conspiracy theory.)
    TORRES: She's pulling your leg. It's got to be some kind of Borg practical
    joke.
    CHAKOTAY: She wasn't joking.
    TORRES: A secret mission? Starfleet in league with the Caretaker? It's ridiculous.
    CHAKOTAY: Ridiculous? Seven has some compelling evidence.
    TORRES: Well then, let's go to the Captain, get a straight answer.
    CHAKOTAY: Good morning, Kathryn. All systems are operational. The crew's in good health. And by the way, is it true you've been lying to us for five years? I'm not prepared to make that accusation, but I can't ignore what I've heard either.
    TORRES: So what do you suggest?
    CHAKOTAY: I want you to delay those shield modifications. That'll give me time to check Seven's database, take a look at the evidence myself.
    KIM: The Captain asked me to work with you on the shields.
    CHAKOTAY: That won't be necessary, Ensign.
    KIM: Oh, I don't mind. You know how eager she is to make that jump.
    TORRES: Harry, we're fine here.
    CHAKOTAY: Too many cooks, Harry. You know how it is. We'll let you know when we're done.

- B'Elanna Torres and Chakotay
    ----------

As I wrote the last time, that B'Elena Torres had an enduring loyalty to Chakotay because of their past in the Maquis, it's one thing but that doesn't mean that she had to be wilfully blind, accepting to obey the finger, even if that would question/put at risk all she has attempted to ever build on Voyager: a true relationship with a good person like Tom Paris based on love, and a true respect & kind of admiration with people lie Harry Kim & Kathryn Janeway).

Questions:
    1) how a someone introduced like a calm and measured as Chakotay, has been able to lose self-control, in becoming so paranoid, believing suddenly someone, Seven here, for whose he never had any liking/respect?
    2) how the script's author (s) could believe for a moment that fans were working with this theory, especially at that point of the series?

4. catshadowsi8

catshadowsi8 Captain Captain

I would add question #3: How could Janeway, who says she trusts no one more than Chakotay (which includes Tuvok, her oldest friend), and after Equinox when he could have led a mutiny but did not, be swayed by 7's arguement?

The entire story is a house of cards built in a hurricane imo.