Toho is making their own Godzilla movies again!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Kai "the spy", Dec 8, 2014.

1. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

My guess is that, subbed or dubbed, it will be a pretty limited release, though. Funimation is a very, very small distributor (their primary gig is anime releases, and they rely on Universal for home video), and as I understand it, Legendary is throwing its weight around to avoid brand confusion with its own Godzilla series. I'd be shocked if it hits more than like 500 screens in the US.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, rats. Well, I live near a university that has a small nearby theater that specializes in indie films and foreign films and the like -- maybe they'll show it.

I dunno, I guess seeing it on video would be fine -- I've seen all the others that way. But I don't think I've ever seen a Japanese Godzilla film in the theater, so it'd be an interesting novelty. (I'm pretty sure the only Godzilla film I've seen theatrically was the 2014 one. I don't believe I ever saw the '98 TriStar film until after I'd seen the animated TV-series sequel to it.)

3. Nomad

Nomad Commander Red Shirt

Since the two Attack on Titan movies played in around 300 theaters each, 500 screens for Godzilla (a more well-known property) sounds about right. Also, SciFi Japan updated their article to mention that Shin Godzilla will be the title, not Godzilla Resurgence.

4. Christopher

Hmm... It says "Toho... has insisted that Funimation use the English title SHIN GODZILLA (a direct translation of the film’s Japanese name)." But that's not a translation at all, just a transliteration. Shin basically translates as "new" or "true," though it's also a bit of a play on words involving spirituality and holiness.

5. Nomad

6. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

The hell? Is that a redesigned Gigan?

7. Christopher

Looks like Godzilla has some new attacks.

I was actually reminded more of
    Barugon from the second Gamera movie, since it could fire a destructive rainbow beam out of its back spines.

8. Nomad

Another image of the new Godzilla, and another. (Supposedly these are from a picture book handed out to movie-goers.)

9. Nomad

Some early (non-spoiler) reviews here. Most seem to like the movie but warn that it's a much different take on Godzilla. I don't mind that; I just hope we get the movie here soon.

10. Christopher

Kotaku's reviewer wasn't crazy about it. (Only slightly spoilery, more about general focus and structure and tone than plot specifics.)

11. Nomad

The Kotaku review could be describing quite a few Godzilla movies of the past: lots of meetings of officials and scenes of military preparation, boring human characters, iffy performances by non-Japanese actors, and so on. My biggest hope is that Godzilla is in the film for more than ten minutes at the end, and that the blending of practical and CGI effects work as well as people are saying they do.

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

OK, I just gotta say this. IN the face on view of Godzilla, with those tiny little arms and those big huanches, he looks like a giant green penis.(with arms)

13. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Just as a sidetrack for any Godzilla fans, saw a great little Cannes entry Japanese family drama called 'Our Little Sister', based on a popular manga. Thought I recognised one of the actors, and indeed was Masami Nagasawa, who was one of the Mothra companions in Tokyo SOS and Final Wars. Highly recommend OLS if anyone likes josei manga.

14. Nomad

A few theaters, including this one, have Shin Godzilla showing in October. (They also describe it as "in Japanese with English subtitles.") None of the theaters where I live list showings that far in advance, but it's something to look out for.

15. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

16. Christopher

Oh, 3D CG animated? I heard it was an anime, so I was expecting 2D. Too bad -- we've already had CG versions of Godzilla before in live-action movies, so this isn't as interesting to me as a cel-style animated Godzilla would've been. (I liked Patrick Tatopolous's "Godzilla" design better in the animated sequel series than in the Emmerich movie it was designed for.)

17. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Penned by the Butcher himself, Gen Urobuchi

He's known for completely turning the table upside down when it comes to story surprises.

His work on Madoka Magika, Psycho-Pass, Fate/Zero, Kamen Rider Gaim etc. make him a very interesting choice to handle the film.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good interesting or bad interesting?
    I'm kind of surprised I haven't heard about this until now.
    EDIT: According to Io9 this was just revealed this morning, so I guess that would explain why I haven't heard about it.
    I'm surprised to read this is the Big G's first anime, I would have expected there to have been at least one during the height of his popularity.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

20. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral