Toho is making their own Godzilla movies again!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Kai "the spy", Dec 8, 2014.

1. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I could have sworn it was the other way around. The Americans were calling him Godzilla, then the scientist used the closest approximation of something originating from his native island. If it has been the usual way, it wouldn't have stood out at all to me.

2. Nomad

Nomad Commander Red Shirt

As I think more about it, I'm inclined to agree with you. Funimation extended the movie's run, and I plan to see it again this Saturday. I'll pay more attention to that section of the film this time.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hmm... It's showing Saturday at noon at a theater I can get to, so maybe I can see it after all. Do you think I'd need to buy a ticket in advance, or would it be unlikely to sell out ahead of time?

4. Nomad

Judging from what I've read on various forums, getting tickets shouldn't be a problem. There were only a dozen or so people at the 7:30 showing I attended. It wouldn't hurt to check ahead, however. The movie is usually shown in the smallest theater in the cineplex.

5. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My showing has a decent crowd, but not sold out.

6. Christopher

Okay, I saw it today, and it turns out it was a mix of both. The Americans coined that name based on Goro Maki's coinage of "Gojira" in his notes, which was the Ohdo Island word for "wrath of God" or something like that. So a variation of "Gojira" informed by "God." The dialogue mentioned the Godzilla form first, but it was derived from the Gojira form, like the Wikizilla summary said.

It is a bit odd that they'd need to go to such convoluted lengths, but I guess it's necessary to explain how the "Godzilla" spelling could come about in this day and age, when the old romanization scheme that produced it in the first place has fallen out of use.

7. Nomad

I saw Shin Godzilla again today, since this was probably the last showing in my area, and the DVD release is likely not until next year. The subtitles seemed much slower this time, and I had far less trouble keeping up. That also meant that the movie dragged for me a little on this viewing, but it still kept my attention.

Before seeing the movie today, I read a theory online that suggested that Goro Maki (the missing professor) was somehow absorbed into Godzilla, thus fueling the monster's attack on Japan, which Goro blamed in part for his wife's death. There's no real evidence for this in the movie, but the final shot seems to tell us that Godzilla is made up of numerous life forms. If there is a sequel, I hope they follow up on this.

8. Christopher

^It was very unclear just what Maki did.
    Did he discover and unleash Godzilla, create Godzilla from scratch, or even somehow become Godzilla?

9. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

"Shin Godzilla" has won three Mainichi Film Awards, one of which was for Best Japanese Film of 2016.

Crunchyroll|Mainichi Film Awards Picks "Shin Godzilla" as Best Japanese Film of 2016

At the other big Japanese Film Awards, the Japan Academy Prize, the movie received ten nominations:

- Best Picture
    - Director of the Year (Hideaki Anno and Shinji Higuchi)
    - Outstanding Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role (Hiroki Hasegawa)
    - Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role (Satomi Ishihara and Mikako Ichikawa)
    - Outstanding Achievement in Music (Shiro Sagisu)
    - Outstanding Achievement in Cinematography (Kōsuke Yamada)
    - Outstanding Achievement in Lighting Direction (Takayuki Kawabe)
    - Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction (Yuji Hayashida, Eri Sakushima)
    - Outstanding Achievement in Sound Recording (Jun Nakamura, Haru Yamada)
    - Outstanding Achievement in Film Editing (Hideaki Anno, Atsuki Sato)

Wikipedia| 40the Japan Academy Prize

10. Kai "the spy"

11. Christopher

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, this makes me happy too.

13. Kai "the spy"

[​IMG]
    The anime has the title "Godzilla: Monster Planet", or "Godzilla: Kaiju Wakusei" in the original Japanese. There's also a first synopsis:

Flickering Myth| Poster and synopsis for Godzilla: Monster Planet anime feature

14. Christopher

That sounds kinda like After Earth, although I never actually saw that movie so I could be wrong.

And if Godzilla isn't discovered until 1999, that makes this a new, standalone continuity -- the 9th Japanese Godzilla continuity overall, and the second one (in a row) that doesn't include the 1954 original in its backstory.

Anyway, it's weird to see a Godzilla poster whose artwork gives no indication that it has anything to do with Godzilla.

15. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

This has Urobuchi written all over it.

No doubt the Kaiju were humans all along...

16. Kai "the spy"

17. Nomad

According to the "United Earth Investigation Report" (handed out at AnimeJapan and also seen on the official website), the backstory for this movie has the first kaiju attack being by Kamacuras in 1999. It was followed by Dogora in 2001, Rodan and Anguirus in 2005, Dagahra in 2017, Orga in 2022, and finally Godzilla in 2030. If this info is accurate, then, as Christopher noted, Godzilla: Monster Planet will have no connection to the 1954 film, or any other installment in the series. Also, it's interesting that Dogora and Dagahra are included, since they have no prior movie history with Godzilla, the former having appeared in its own solo film in 1964, while the latter battled Mothra in Rebirth of Mothra II (1997). (Technically, Dogora is considered part of the Kiryu continuity [Godzilla x Mechagodzilla /Godzilla vs Mothra:Toyko SOS], but the creature doesn't appear in either movie. We only know about it due to info Toho released at the time.)

18. Christopher

Weird. Kamacuras was the giant praying mantis in Son of Godzilla. Kind of an unimpressive debut for daikaiju. Dogora was a monster amoeba from space in a standalone 1964 film that was basically a crime caper about diamond thieves with a monster story going on in the background. Dagahra was a pollution monster in a kid-friendly Mothra movie, created by an Atlantis-like civilization. Orga was a monster from Godzilla 2000 that resulted when an alien kaiju absorbed Godzilla's Organizer G-1 cells (his Wolverine-like healing factor established in that movie) and mutated into a hybrid form.

So most of those are pretty bizarre choices. Rodan and Anguirus make sense, but the rest are quite the mishmash of obscure and lame kaiju.

19. Nomad

I read somewhere that Hedorah will be included as well. Biollante is also rumored, but that's mainly fan speculation based on early shots of overgrown plant life. And, yes, it looks like they're bringing back the more obscure kaiju (no mention of King Ghidorah or Mothra).

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm surprised they didn't throw in bigger name Kaiju, even if they didn't go for big guns like King Ghidora and Mothra, you'd think they would have picked some more familiar monsters like Destroyah (Ok he's only been in one movie, but he does seem to be popular choice for things like the video games and comics), or Baragon. Now that we know it's a trilogy, maybe they're saving them for the second and third movies.