News Disney's Moana (live action) movie

1987SpaceGuy

Captain
Captain
Disney's Moana (live action) movie (2026)

Catherine Laga‘aia joins Dwayne Johnson, who reprises his role as the beloved Maui, in the oceanic adventure heading to theaters July 10, 2026 — production kicks off this Summer

Catherine Laga‘aia will be voyaging to Motunui and beyond as the adventurous teenager who sails out on a daring mission to save her people in Disney’s upcoming live-action Moana.

“I’m really excited to embrace this character because Moana is one of my favorites,” said the 17-year-old Sydney, Australia, native. “My grandfather comes from Fa‘aala, Palauli, in Savai‘i. And my grandmother is from Leulumoega Tuai on the main island of ‘Upolu in Samoa. I’m honored to have an opportunity to celebrate Samoa and all Pacific Island peoples, and to represent young girls who look like me.”

The cast also includes Auckland, New Zealander John Tui as Moana’s no-nonsense father, Chief Tui; Samoan-New Zealand actress Frankie Adams portrays Moana’s playful and strong-willed mother, Sina; and Rena Owen, who hails from Bay of Islands, NZ, was cast as the revered Gramma Tala.

Previously announced, Dwayne Johnson, who voiced larger-than-life demigod Maui in the 2016 animated version of the film, will reprise his role.
Disney

Catherine Laga’aia is the daughter of Jay Laga’aia, who played warlord Draco on Xena: Warrior Princess.

While I think it’s way too soon for a live action adaptation (it’s totally because Dwayne Johnson wants to play Maui again) I’m still looking forward to this.

Back