Today's "music"

Each generation seems to bag on the new generations of music that come after their's. I grew up in the mid 60s, so I was into the 60s music scene. Then I got into the 70s..and even the 80s. But I haven't cared for much music after that time. I mean, I like what I hear, but I don't rush out and by albums by the new crop....

I heard OZZY OSBORNE on a radio program the other night. He was talking about his new book and then the interviewer, who I think was younger, asked him if he's proud of the music that came out of the 70s, almost as if implying that the 70s music was bad.

Ozzy, barely understandable, did a great job defending his decade. He mumbled on about Rush and the Eagles, put in a good word for Elton John and Barry Manilow and Springstein, some Punk bands I never heard of, and some R/B stuff. I found myself cheering for Ozzy! He was a 70s music champion!!!

What about you folks? What is your opinion of the music that came after your so called 'moment in the sun'?

Rob

I'm still really enjoying music, but most of the stuff I buy will never be heard on the radio (or in some cases, it will heard on the radio several years after I discover it, at which point I will have grown tired of it...Fall Out Boy is a good example of this).

There's a lot of really awesome stuff out there, but the radio and MTV are not the places to find it.

I'm still really enjoying music, but most of the stuff I buy will never be heard on the radio (or in some cases, it will heard on the radio several years after I discover it, at which point I will have grown tired of it...Fall Out Boy is a good example of this).

There's a lot of really awesome stuff out there, but the radio and MTV are not the places to find it.

I totally agree. I have Sirrius Satellite so I can listen to some of the interesting music choices they have. They have the typical 40s-50s-60s-70s-80s-90s-present stations..but they also have several ambient music choices and jazz and other unique stations too...

Rob

Like RoJo, a lot of what I listen to these days doesn't get airplay. It's mostly from DFTBA records.

Also, am I the only one who saw the thread title and continued "ain't got the same soul"?

My music interests pretty much begin with the 70s and the advent of punk rock. Ramones. Sure there's a couple acts before then that I find interesting, but nothing I listen to actively. Actually, 70s punk is a bit too simplistic for my tastes at this point, but I've been discovering proto-metal bands from the era. The 80s, the decade I was born in, is just all-around full of win. Punk marches on, and spins off into pure awesome like the Smiths and the Pixies. I even love the era's pop-shit. I respect the 90s for Grunge and rap I can halfway listen to. The aughts give me a couple progressive bands that are taking rock to new heights and shitting all over emo.

My active music listening phase was from the late Sixties to the early Nineties. But I'd say the music from late Seventies and the Eighties (my teens and twenties) are "my music" Punk and New Wave!!!! I have Sirius through Dish and when I need a little "radio" I tune to 1st Wave (6022). I'll catch a new music act on TV every once in while, but nothing really grabs me the way music did back in High School and College.

As a teen who got into hiphop (and still loves the genre) and the rave scene in the 90s, I would have never pictured myself at this point in my life being obsessed with the Powerslave album (something I would not of been interested in when it came out at all, in '84 I was 9?), but it just goes to show that good music from whatever era will stand the test of time.

New music isn't inherently bad, there's still some good groups around, but the tastes of the general listening public have gotten worse. The ease of producing and creating music with today's technology means any talentless waste of space can put together dodgy dance/rap/manufactured RnB, get signed and top the charts, and all of the 3 chord nu-metal kids have just been replaced with scene kids and their crappy post-punk/garage rock/"art" rock crap.

40 years on, groups like Black Sabbath are still remembered and revered by all sorts of music fans, and they will continue to be remembered in another 40 years. I doubt most of the chart music of the last decade will be remembered in 20 years, let alone 40.

As a teen who got into hiphop (and still loves the genre) and the rave scene in the 90s, I would have never pictured myself at this point in my life being obsessed with the Powerslave album (something I would not of been interested in when it came out at all, in '84 I was 9?), but it just goes to show that good music from whatever era will stand the test of time.

Rime of the Ancient Mariner, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Aces High, and Powerslave, are all in my top 10 Iron Maiden tracks. :techman:

Rime of the Ancient Mariner, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Aces High, and Powerslave, are all in my top 10 Iron Maiden tracks. :techman:

As well they should be! :techman:

Could someone name today's Top 5 bands? Please list commercially successful bands only. How do you think they would rate against the top bands from 30 years ago (such as Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, ELO, etc.)?

I went to high school in the mid-'90s so "my" music would be grunge and gangsta rap. I never liked gangsta rap and while I was into grunge it got soooooooo overplayed on terrestrial radio that I can barely stand to listen to it now. Nine Inch Nails and White Zombie are okay, but they're not grunge.

Classic rock is more my father's music, and '80s hair metal is more my uncle's music.

So I'm into the alternative that's come out over the past 10 years, once they got passed the rap-rock phase around the turn of the millennium.

I like White Stripes, Kaiser Chiefs, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, MGMT, and things like that. My station of choice on Sirius is Alt Nation.

Modern rock seems to be suffering a slow death right now. No news styles or big name bands have really emerged in the last decade and the only people getting airplay are the old-guard 90s groups.

^ I listen to quite a few rock bands that you might call relatively new, but many are made up of people from older bands, like Them Crooked Vultures, and many of them are just not popular at all.

The only 2 bands I can think of that have broken really big in the last decade that I listen to are Doves and Muse. Although as I say, I do listen to plenty of new bands that have not had big hits.

^^ Wow, and I have no idea who any of those bands are. Thats not a bad thing, so please don't take it that way. It just shows how out of it people get when they get to my age...

Rob

This kind of shit makes me want to hang myself. It's like his parents neutered him and he spent most of his teen years crying and wishing he had friends who liked to blow bubbles as much as he did. Seriously, what kind of "man" grows up dreaming about writing shit like this? "I want to write songs 12 year old girls listen to while they brush their hair!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psuRGfAaju4

I think the ratio of good:bad music in raw quantity isn't any different now than ever, but I'm 100% positive that the mainstream record companies take far fewer risks when pushing new talent than they used to. Record execs and insiders and A&R people say as much in the media. Mainstream hip/hop and rap music is surprisingly similar to the stuff produced 10-15 years ago, when you compare the evolution of stuff in the mid-90s to the 1980s. There is no difference conceptually or musically or from a production standpoint from an Eminem record released in 2009 from one released in 1999. "Country" music is essentially dead compared to a decade ago and it too has stagnated, it's a bunch of average looking guys with tight t-shirts and cowboy hats singing bad rock music with a twangy voice surrounded by cars and women in no clothes following the rap model of excess. Pop... well pop is pop, though I think electronic gadgets allow less talented individuals who happen to be better looking than they would have been 20 years ago to get by easier. There is still a market for heavy metal and thrash, that kind of stuff, but the audience is probably no bigger than ever and I don't know enough about the scene to comment on it.

As well, up and coming bands distribute their music in an entirely different way than the traditional record labels and their shiny new pop star flavours of the month. If you don't go looking for your next favourite band don't count on it being shoved down your throat.

Last edited:
Back