TNG vs DS9 - The Showdown!

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Mach5, Jun 19, 2009.

?

TNG or DS9?

1. TNG

36.6%
  2. DS9

63.4%
  1. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

DS9, primarily because of the over-arching storylines. TNG started this, where some characters re-appeared more than once (Q, Hugh, Dr. Soong, Lore, Tomalak, etc.). However, DS9 worked better because it was on a space station that was fixed in one place. The presence of the Defiant finally allowed for the characters to get around, since the Runabouts were too weak to take on any real threats.

2. MarauderMo

MarauderMo Ensign Red Shirt

I voted DS9. I think it shows the trek universe in a more realistic view and not so "sugar coated" like in TNG. The characters are more developed and come off as real people more-so than Picard and co. I do enjoy TNG though. In fact I saw TNG, Voyager and most of Enterprise before I even saw DS9 for the first time.

3. cybersoldier

cybersoldier Commander Red Shirt

TNG, this was the show that got me into Trek, and it holds a special place.:techman:

4. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TNG.

I can't stand DS9's melodrama (one of it's major problems). nuBSG did it so much better (not that it too has it's major problems as well)

TNG, as someone said above me, was intellectual Sci-Fi. DS9 was just a bunch of screaming around and general retardedness.

Like Sector 7, DS9 will never get my vote either.

5. Piper

Piper Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've had to go for TNG - as great as DS9 is, there are no characters on it I like as much as Picard, while the highpoints of Trek excellence remain, for me, Yesterday's Enterprise, BoBW Part One and All Good Things...

6. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I just realized I think another reason I would favour TNG over DS9 is because I consider its characters more iconic. I have a lot of respect for DS9 in terms of how ambitious it was with its storytelling and character arcs and I consider Jadzia Dax my favourite Star Trek character overall but I don't think she or anyone on the DS9 crew can match the presence and depth of Picard or Data. They're all cool and well-conceived characters, however (well except maybe early Kira and Odo some of the time :p).

7. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

TNG. Enjoyed the stories more, I loved the characters, and it was also the show of my childhood ;) Its what I grew up watching as a little one and is what introduced me to sci-fi, got me interested in space, and began my love of technology. When it comes to all of that, DS9 just can't match up

8. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

I'm voting TNG, but only because it was a matter of the right place/right time. I was just the right age for that show to come along and knock me on my ass. I don't think DS9 would have had the same effect.

9. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As a little kid TNG got me into Star Trek, sci-fi and science in general and it helped to shaped my life. I became an engineer in no small part because of Star Trek The Next Generation.

As a TV show, I get more enjoyment out of DS9 because of the story ark and the better characterization, including an incredible guest cast.

I went with DS9 in this poll.

10. Jasper Sierra

Jasper Sierra Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

TNG was good for catching once in awhile. The DS9 storyline is so involved and long that it is a pleasure to watch for hours on end. TNG is good for people that are casually interested in Star Trek, while DS9 is better for the more dedicated fans, such as those on this forum.

11. Dane_Whitman

Dane_Whitman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

DS9, no question about it.

12. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

DS9, obviously. I don't think any of the DS9 or TNG characters were iconic, they were just excellent characters.

13. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

DS9.

Character conflicts and imperfections are always more interesting than Life in Eden.

Also, it's darker in many ways that enhance the drama. The cast is stronger (even recurring and secondary characters are strong and memorable).

The humor worked -- consistently.

14. mattyhugh

mattyhugh Commander Red Shirt

DS9 is winning! Somewhere in California Ira Behr is smiling.

15. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I side with TNG, I watched all of DS9 from the time it began so I'm well-versed enough in it. I know we can all go on about how "dark" it was and how because it had a continuing story it was "deeper" and all that but frankly it wasn't that dark nor did the continuing nature make it that much more sophisticated. TNG was just as sophisticated but fanboys have chosen to Flanderize it's more Utopian elements and spout out nonsense about how TNG was a sterile place with no real character interaction or how the characters were bad for not deeply hating one another. It almost gets to the level of nonsense you get from Warsies when it comes to the Federation.

That said, DS9 is still a fave for me but TNG will still rank higher.

16. mattyhugh

I'd wouldn't go as far to say that TNG had no real character interaction following the third season. Hell real character interaction was half the reason Piller hired Jeri Taylor. But for me the difference is that the continuing story allowed for less bottle shows. Sure you still would have a "Take Me Out to the Holosuite" but that still revolved around the characters as opposed to "Night Terrors".

17. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

DS9. The story arcs.

18. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Well, TNG did have some arcs as well: Data and Worf's character arcs (Worf's continued to DS9). They also had some story arcs in the Borg (starting in "Neutral Zone", continuing in "Q Who?" and the BOBW with later episodes) and the Romulans ("Neutral Zone", "Defector", "The Enemy", "Redemption", "Unification"). And let's not forget the Cardassina/Bajoran and Maquis arcs.

TNG's arcs were basically the prototype for the stuff DS9 did later especially with the Cardassian/Bajoran and Maquis stuff.

19. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Couldn't have said it better myself. :bolian:

20. mattyhugh

Sure TNG laid the groundwork for DS9, and Deep Space did benefit from imo the best writers from TNG joining the DS9 staff. However Deep Space Nine had more character arcs in the main cast, as oppossed to TNG which had 2 or three awsome ones. And I know its been mentioned before, but it is the secondary characters that got developed aswell.