TMP-DE fully restored in 4K…it’s about time!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Warped9, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because, as stated above, this is the DIRECTOR'S EDITION. The purpose of the exercise is the make it the way Bob Wise wanted it if he had the time, money and technology in 1979 to make the edits and shots planned for in the storyboards.

It's not a Fan Cut. It's not a revisionist cut to include shows filmed later to tie everything together.

So, no, references to ANY show or movie made AFTER 1979 would not belong the DE.

I don't even know why this is a debate. The intentions of this cut were always clear.

If CBS/Paramount wants to make a "Franchise Cut" then they can add all of the references they desire. But that's not what this cut is about.

2. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

NX-01 didn’t exist in 1979 or when Bob Wise worked on the DE. NX-01 could conceivably be in a part of the rec deck we didn’t see. That’s enough for me.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because I question black and white thinking. Someone said "there's no reason!" And I thought "Well, there is a reason, regardless of how unpopular." So, I stated that reason. I personally don't see the issue even if I don't agree with it.

It's called a discussion for a reason. I think I have made myself clear on this point.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  4. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

The simple reason the NX-01 wasn’t added in is because it was never part of the film in any capacity. The Director’s Edition is supposed to represent what Wise wanted back in 1979. He wasn’t going for the George Lucas approach, and the producers of that were not going to go outside the bounds of what Wise had set.

5. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

I'm old enough to remember having this same conversation back in 2001 when the DVD came out.

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

There is a reason: Robert Wise was not familiar with the NX-01 when creating his DE in 2000. Because that starship didn't exist.

7. fireproof78

Ok. So many have said.

8. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    I also remember the contingent that kept complaining about footage from the never-filmed Nogura scene hadn't been included. Good times.

Search4, Richard S. Ta and Indysolo like this.
  9. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Even worse was the omission of the "saucer sep." and battle with the Klingons at the end. That would have been a nice add!

10. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Never was planned to happen. Probert just proposed it (one of two ideas he floated).

11. Therin of Andor

Yes, it is still being asked for. :) Even though it would have pre-empted much of the Scotty scene.

12. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

I can sympathize. A week or two ago, a member of the FB I admin was chastising me in a thread for being "condescending" in a response to him in a PM about a thread where I'd either shut off the commenting or deleted the post altogether. I looked the poster up in my message archives. The exchange he had with me was four years ago.

People bear grudges, man.
    :lol::techman: Brilliant list! This is part of why as much as I enjoy certain aspects of TMP, I still think it's a highly flawed story, because Kirk and Spock are unappealing jerks for much of the film and almost completely unlike the fellows we saw on TOS.
    The idea of Kirk realizing that he's been wrong about something is fine. That's the basis for some of my favorite Trek stories, TWOK and TUC among them. What I don't care for is Kirk being an arrogant, ignorant jackass for 75% of the film. They could've brought Kirk to that "I know nothing" moment (to use Nicholas Meyer's terminology for it) without him being a jerk. And he's a jerk for most of TMP.

GOD, do I wish that Gene Coon was still around in the late '70s to rewrite Roddenberry on TMP.
    But what if we added Poochie to the Rec Deck scene? That'd work, right? ;)

13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

The Director’s Cut shouldn’t be about now doing something because you didn’t have the technology back in the day, like what a lot of TOS-R is. It should be about doing what you wanted and planned to do given the appropriate time and the resources you had at your disposal back in the day.

Richard S. Ta and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  14. Therin of Andor

"Welshie!"

15. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Welshie's lines can now be heard in the Rec Deck scene: "Yore avin a laff, boyo."

16. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"I have to go now. My planet needs me."

17. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

...The NX-01 is just an ugly-looking ship. It would have detracted from the Refit's excellence.

18. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

NOTE: Ilia died on the way back to her home planet.

19. fireproof78

True.

I say we go from sailing ship Enterprise to TOS to the refit.

20. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

They need to change the wall graphic to CVN 80 or I’ll never watch Trek again!

fireproof78 likes this.