Spoilers Titans - DC Universe Series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Jul 19, 2018.

1. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

2. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:lol:

Great episode by the way.

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I know I've said it already, but damn was this show vastly mis-marketed. Hopefully when it gets on Netflix the positive buzz will really start to get around.

Of all the DC/Marvel based shows around, I think this one may do the best job of balancing faithfulness to the source material with being a grounded, quasi-realistic show about actual people with depth and agency. Surprisingly tasteful and restrained too, give how easy it would be to just go for cheap gratuity.

I think what I liked about this episode the most was how it effectively told the story of how Hank & Dawn became Hawk and Dove without it feeling like an exercise in box checking. It respects the audience enough not to hit them over the head with needless explanations and just lets the story play out organically. For example, we don't see where the costumes came from because we don't need to. All the pieces are there for us to put it together on our own; The first crude attempt from Hank and Don drawn from their high school days establishes the basic design, plus Dawn coming from money and having a background in theatre (sort of) accounts for how they got made.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  4. dahj

I'm sure some people will complain that that's not their "real" origin story, but it was a very strong episode indeed.

Ovation likes this.
  5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

From what I gather, their comic origin is decidedly unspectacular. You'd have to be a very stubborn kind of fan to think this wasn't a vast improvement.
    I mean, they didn't need to include Don at all, but they honoured his character by making him a vital element of the story.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  6. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, because god forbid a character whose literal point of existing is to be a peaceful counterpart to their aggressive partner not get turned into a violent psychopath. Its a very Zach Snyder thing to do, so it makes sense that DC did it. There are enough misanthropic Snyder fans that love it apparently, probably the same people who want Batman to be a killer like The Punisher because it would be more "realistic".

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

:rolleyes:

Turtletrekker likes this.
  8. dahj

No.

Ovation and Turtletrekker like this.
  9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Hank and Dawn had died, in the car accident, I wonder if Dawn's mum and Don would have hooked up?

Don and Dawn?

Huh.

Like Barry Allen's kids. :)

10. dahj

I envy the people who are going to binge this. :D

So that was mostly set-up for the grand finale, all the things that were kinda obvious but had to be revealed were revealed, the tone of the episode was nicely ominous, Donna was totally badass, and now we're ready for the big showdown.

No promo at the end again, I wonder if it was released separately...

*checks out the promo*

[​IMG]

Turtletrekker likes this.
  11. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

This is all well and good but when is their universe being tested? :)

Looks like there might be a hidden 12th episode after the next one.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So is Donna Troy a regular character, or at least sticking around for a while? When I saw they were introducing her I had figured it was going to be just a one time thing.

13. dahj

She was in 2 episodes so far, and considering how the last one ended she'll be in the finale as well.
    Don't know if anything has been announced regarding season 2.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm really hoping we hear about pricing for Disney+ soon so I decide once and for all if I want that or this.

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

There's no question that Disney+ would be my choice for the long term. However, that probably won't stop me from plucking down a months subscription to the DC service and binging all that I can in the meantime. After all, we're still some way out from the premiere of Disney+.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm leaning more towards Disney+ since that's gonna have the Disney, Marvel, and Star Wars stuff, while this only has DC. I don't have a ton of disposable income, so if it's more than $7.00 or $8.00 a month it's probably going to be out of my price range since I already do Netflix, Amazon Prime, CBS All Access and Hulu. If it is than I'm going for DCU.

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It seems to me the logical way to handle streaming sites is to subscribe to them in a cycle -- join one just long enough to binge the shows you want, then drop it and move on to the next one, and so on, cycling back again when the new seasons come out. Although that would be more complicated to manage, all those cancellations and rejoinings.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've thought about it, but it just feels like to much of hassle to go back and forth. I really wish they offered packages like with cable, where I could just pay $20 or $30 and get a collection of four or five services.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hopefully eventually they will. Although I don't want it to be like cable, where you have to pay for 90-some channels you don't care about to get the dozen or so channels you actually want.

20. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Or move to the uk where they are all on Netflix