Spoilers Titans - DC Universe Series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Jul 19, 2018.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

For now!

2. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

This show will be on Netflix Canada next month. Worth watching?

3. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

If you’re a fan of the ArrowVerse and the f word, I say yes.

4. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

I like it.
    If I had to describe it in comparison to other shows I'd say it's kinda like the "realism" of early Arrow or the Netflix MCU shows, but with all the comic book craziness of costumes, superhero names, references to the larger superhero world, aliens, demons and stuff. The characters are interesting, despite the darker themes there's quite a lot of fun in it, cinematography is real good, the fight sequences are well done... it's quite an enjoyable show.

Also, it's only 11 episodes, so I'd say if you already have Netflix definitely give it a try. :techman:

5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

My opinion might be slanted since I went into it expecting it to be a train wreck (thanks to a very misleading trailer) and was very pleasantly surprised, but I'd say yes it's absolutely worth a watch.
    Tone wise it feels about half-way between the CW shows and Marvel Netflix. It's by no means campy, but at the same time it never takes itself too seriously and it's not afraid of how weird comic book stuff is, while also fully committing to being grounded in realism. Actually it's that grounded approach that makes all the eccentricities work so well.

It's almost like they took just about every previous DC adaptation from Burton, Timm/Dini, Nolan and yes, even Snyder and mushed them altogether...and somehow it works.

Casting is solid. Storytelling is brisk and engaging with none of the mid-season sag you get with the Marvel Netflix shows. There is an overarching plot that keeps moving forwards, but each episode manages to be it's own contained story that still leaves you eager for the next instalment.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    Sto-Vo-Kory likes this.
  6. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Thanks all for the feedback. Will add it to the queue when it pops up.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just watched the trailer for the finale on Io9 and I'm surprised they appear to actually be allowed to show Batman. I wonder why they are allowed to but the Arrowverse is still isn't? I can't remember where, but the other day I read an article that said that despite all the talk about him in Elseworlds he is still off limits for the Arrowverse shows. I have to admit, I was little surprised since I assumed he would eventually appear on Batwoman, the same way Superman has on Supergirl.

8. dahj

I mean technically,
    that isn't going to be the real Batman, it's Trigon messing with Dick.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That could be it, but I would still think the the suit and gadgets all of that would be included in the ban.

10. CorporalCaptain

Any thoughts on the absence of Cyborg? Like, is it working well without him, does he seem to be missing, or not?

11. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

What ban? Character access is decided on a case-by-case basis.

12. thribs

He’s seen as a JL member now.

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was amazed (recently) to see Cyborg join the Superfriends in 1983.

The Justice League is starved for diversity.

Hawkgirl from the cartoon in 2000, was on Fuller House last night.

14. thribs

Starved for diversity? There are two aliens in the JL, and a woman.

15. CorporalCaptain

edit - I don't understand what you're saying. Are you saying it doesn't negatively impact the show, because the audience generally has no expectation that he would be present in the Titans? I guess they wouldn't, given that he was used in the JL film, but that doesn't exactly answer my question. To restate, my question is whether the Titan team came together well without Cyborg, or if there was a dynamic, for example one involving Beast Boy, that might have worked better with Cyborg present?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  16. Guy Gardener

Definitely isolated continuities.

In the Titans continuity Justice League's heyday was 10 to 15 years, when Dick and Donna were kids.

That means that Cyborg would have been made from late 90s-early naughties technology, if he wasn't upgraded by Aliens as well.

No need to confuse the tourists.

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  17. dahj

They did. Their dynamic here works basically like a family with Dick and Kory as the parents and Rachel and Gar as the kids.

18. Guy Gardener

Garfield doesn't submit to Dick and Kori like a child.

He just cut his loyalty to The Chief, so he's probably feeling like a grown up right now.

19. dahj

Bye the way, we don't know if Cyborg is in or has been in the Justice League here, he has been cast for Doom Patrol so we'll find out more about him in February. :techman:

20. Guy Gardener

Victor Stone, is going to be played by Jovian Wade, a British Actor who is 25 years old, and was "Rigsy" on Doctor Who a couple years back.

Gavin70 likes this.