Time To Come Out...

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Bry_Sinclair, May 4, 2017.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I've already come out about this before, but I like "The Way to Eden," too.

"Heading Out to Eden" in particular is a great song.

Edit - And Dr. Sevrin is an interesting character and cult leader.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  2. Lieut. Arex

Lieut. Arex Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

the slavish devotion by the modern producers to "Gene's Vision" they bleed the life out of the franchise by adhering to GR's Later life ideals ones formulated after he'd come to believe his own PR about himself and that the entire enterprise was an effort to enlighten humanity rather than to entertain, so we end up with a zombie preaching to us about no money and how enlightened these 24th century saints are all the vim, vigor and joy of the original was leeched out

C57D, Ovation, Shalashaska and 4 others like this.
  3. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    TNG is really the philosophical bones and meat of Trek, TOS has its glory and nostalgia but it isn't of the same caliber as TNG and its sequels.

4. Vandervecken

Vandervecken Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is that unusual? I can remember feeling like all kinds of suck when she died. I was already pretty attached to the cast--we were all predisposed to get attached, but still, there was heart in those early seasons--and losing one, especially one as expressive as DC's Yar, felt bad. I remember my strongest impressions of her acting were from "The Arsenal of Freedom." I remember wondering what the show would be like now, as if its foundations had been shaken.

Edith Keeler is a huge PITA and COTEOF is a bore.

I really like Spock's Brain. It is just too silly not to love. It's like MST3K without Joel and the bots.

5. CorporalCaptain

I see what you did there!

---

I like "Masks."

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  6. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

The episode becomes interesting in Remastered on a big screen. The wackiness seems toned down somehow, so that the ideas and story can come through.

7. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

No, I agree...although not one of my favorite outings, I think WTE has some good points. I too thought Sevrin was a good character, and I think the episode is kind of a sad tragedy that works well.

8. Vger23

I love "The Royale." Cool mystery story and Worf is pretty funny (but not buffoonish, which was a later mistake) throughout.

Armus likes this.
  9. Balok's Decoy

Balok's Decoy Commodore Commodore

• I love STID. I like the KT in general, although I don't like ST09 as much as most people seem to.
    • Wesley is fine. In a couple episodes, he's even great.
    • Agree with @Vger23 -- The Royale is a fun episode.
    • The Borg are kinda cool, but generally overrated. They're overpowered such that most of their stories don't make sense if you think about it too long.
    • ENT is a great show, with characters I care about, interesting stories, and it's a crying shame it got canceled.
    • CotEoF is a beautiful episode, don't get me wrong. But any time I see it at #1 on a "Best Episodes of Star Trek" list, I kinda roll my eyes.
    • DSC is not the worst thing to ever happen ever. #TIMELINE #WEKNOWWHATHAPPENSTHO

10. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

The lifespan was ridiculous but everything else with the character was great.

11. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

I do not like the Kirk character in either timeline.
    I do not like post TOS Starfleet's denial of its militariness
    The concept of a no money in the Federation is a joke
    I do like Enterprise and all the characters, even Archer
    I like all TNG movies, yes even Nemesis
    I think TMP is as boring as watching paint dry..... slowly
    I hate the TOS pyjama uniforms

12. CRM-114

CRM-114 Captain Captain

ENT is the first Trek series I had the chance to see from the beginning, and it's also the same show that caused me to leave Star Trek behind for a while.

It was season 3, and the Xindi arc felt like it was going nowhere and it was taking its sweet time getting there. I left ENT behind at that point; I gave it another shot near the end of season four with one of the episodes from the T'Pau arc but it didn't hold me.

It seems funny to me that as much as some people hate the Kelvin Timeline, it's what got me to reinvest in the Star Trek franchise.

Of course, if Star Trek hadn't soured on me, I never would've discovered Doctor Who (another show I've since lost interest in), The Prisoner, or Thunderbirds.

13. Nyotarules

I enjoy the Star Trek novels more than the Star Trek tv that inspired them.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    stardream and Trekfan12 like this.
  14. KyleRaynous

KyleRaynous Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I hate seeing people wearing pajamas or tight sweaters while being transported to planets or enemy ships in potentially dangerous situations as if they were Power Rangers or something like it...

Nyotarules likes this.
  15. Nyotarules

I enjoy the fun aspect of some of the Mirror episodes but the idea of puny humans conquering Vulcan, Andor, and other aliens who are telepathic? ROFLOL
    Now a show about the Andorian empire or Vulcan or Betazoid empire I would pay to watch that

16. Vger23

"Measure of a Man" is boring and pedestrian

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  17. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't like Q. I was fed up with him by the end of TNG, rejoiced that DS9 only used that crutch once (and that Sisko knocked him on his ass), and dismayed the VOY kept bringing him back.

Trekfan12, Tenacity and Six of Twelve like this.
  18. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

I don't know if I would say I enjoy them more but I will say I enjoy them just as much.

19. CorporalCaptain

I always thought that it bit off more than it could chew. Before someone says, "Well, isn't the point?" my reply to that is that a judge saying that she is unqualified to sit in judgment over Data -- which is literally what she said -- provides immediate grounds for Maddox to appeal and that failure for him to do so creates in Maddox an unrealistic character. Compared with almost all TNG episodes before it, it was very good, but that's faint praise, as they say.

"Unnatural Selection" was actually the first really good TNG episode for me. It was more or less on par with "The Measure Of A Man," but I enjoyed it just a little bit more.

I have not seen the extended cut of "The Measure Of A Man."

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    Shalashaska and Vger23 like this.
  20. Vger23

I loved DS9 (it's probably my 2nd ranked series behind TOS), but the downside is that it has no re-watch value for me. The "serialized storytelling" is just too hard to get back into. No matter how much I liked Lost or 24 or Game of Thrones (for example)...these shows with the complicated story arcs and multiple characters etc are too much time for me to go back and watch again. I've tried...lord knows I've tried...but I just don't have that kind of time.