Three New Actors Added

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Apparition B5, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I know Pancholy from 30 Rock, but the other two are new to me. Which is cool. Trek has often delivered us talented unknowns, and I like it that way.

2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I've never heard of any of them, but it's nice to get some news three weeks after shooting began. :rommie:

3. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

Judging from the cast so far it looks like this will be the sixth Star Trek series with a predominantly male cast. Kinda disappointing to be completely honest.

Kitty Worrier, Alwaystrekkin and Cake like this.
  4. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

That explains the Twitter video Chris Obi posted on Jan 21st with Maulik Pancholy in the back seat!

5. Cake

Cake Captain Captain

I just wanted to write the same. 11 officially announced cast members so far and only two women among them. :thumbdown:

I think more actors will get announced, but I really doubt, they will get anywhere close to 50% female characters.

Edit: 3 out of 11 are women. Not much better.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  6. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

I don't think that all the announced actors will be series regulars. I think many of them will be there for a few episodes or maybe they will be recurring.

7. { Emilia }

That's what I'm hoping. Maybe the regular cast will be a little more balanced. But even if the announced cast so far is full of extras... I have to ask why are most extras male, you know?

It could all still be coincidence but damn... it's fucking 2017 and they're gonna make a sixth show with a mostly-male cast?

8. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

The 'default' white male character definitely seems to be just as prevalent in this new diverse af show as it did on Trek's previous incarnations.

9. Long Syntax

Long Syntax Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Let the male bashing begin:bolian:

mos6507 likes this.
  10. { Emilia }

Nice non sequitur.

11. cultcross

Are you planning to start some? Because nobody else has.

12. Long Syntax

Long Syntax Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No where did I say that there was, but the door certainly seems open.

13. Cake

Cake Captain Captain

I am really wondering by now, if anyone involved in making DIS is working on the Wikipedia page of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Discovery#Cast_and_characters

How can they decide, who to put under main characters and who to put among the recurrings? It is really conspicuous, that Nambue and Connor from the Shenzhou are listed among the main characters, while Captain Georgiou is among the recurrings. Will the Shenzhou get destroyed in the pilot with the captain on board and the survivors, among them Nambue and Connor, will get transferred to the Discovery? Maybe the Discovery and the Shenzhou will be involved in a battle, both losing crew members and the future crew of the Discovery will be from then on a combination of old Discovery crew members and former Shenzhou crew members.

14. cultcross

More likely the Shenzou is a big part of whatever the arc story is, a la the Pegasus in BSG, and the editors of the Wikipedia page don't know what they're doing.

Ovation, Nerys Myk and KennyB like this.
  15. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

maybe they're holding back all the female characters and at some point BAM SUCKERS GOTCHA WE'VE BEEN HOLDING BACK OUR DIVERSE CAST ALL THIS TIME AWWWW SHIAT CHECK US OUT SIXTY PERCENT FEMALE CAST BOOM MIC DROP WE OUT

Captain Fine and cultcross like this.
  16. Cake

Cake Captain Captain

If they have no idea though, who is main and who is recurring, why not just list them without those two categories? Wikipedia writers aren't suppose to invent facts.

17. cultcross

Perhaps you're new to the internet ;)

18. Cake

Cake Captain Captain

Nope. :p
    I know everyone can work on Wikipedia, if they like, but they want sources and the articles they link to, don't really say anything about the exact actors's statuses. There is also seemingly no fight about it on the Talk page, which sometimes happens because of far more minor things. So I am still wondering, if someone from DIS is working on it, too. It wouldn't be the first time, that a company, famous person, etc. is working on their own Wikipedia page. It is of course only speculation from me, but what else is there to do months away from the premiere. ;)

19. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

It's three women so far (Sonequa Martin-Green, Michelle Yeoh and Mary Chieffo) and with very prominent roles. Four if the rumors about Emily Coutts' casting are true.

20. Cake

Cake Captain Captain

3 out of 11 is not exactly a good ratio either. ;)
    And yes, Emily Coutts might be also part of the cast, but maybe also other yet unknown male actors, if the trend continues.
    And it is only speculations from you, that Yeoh and Chieffo will have "very prominent roles". For example Wikipedia is speculating the opposite and lists them only as recurring characters. We really don't know yet at all, how prominent their roles will be. So far we only know for sure, that Martin-Green will have a very prominent role as tons of trustworthy sites announced her as the lead.