Spoilers Thoughts on the 70th Anniversary? (serious & not so serious)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Ar-Pharazon, Nov 9, 2022.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Damn, I didn't know about that. It's too bad Moffat had to remove the reference. Do you know what the reference and where it happened?

Didn't Pygram record some dialogue and then it was cut for time (or some other reason)? A pity because any Farscape fan knows, he would've been an excellent Tarkin.

publiusr likes this.
  2. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

The BBC should just buy the rights to the Cushing movies outright, then package them with the McGann movie and sell it as the Who movie collection, hell they could fund the third Cushing movie but tweak it for McGann's doctor and more uptodate, so two movies each for Cushing and McGann, symmetry. :)

publiusr likes this.
  3. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

It was obviously supposed to be Tarkin, given that they were all looking at the Death Star.

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

IIRC, it was really minor, something like the posters for the movies were supposed to be hanging on the wall of the UNIT Black Archives. In the novelization of Day of the Doctor written by Moffat in 2018 there's a reference to an image of Cushing being on the wall, though instead of referencing Cushing's Doctor Who movies, we instead get a meta reference to his appearance in Rogue One. In the novelization, Clara points to a photo and asks "is that...?" Kate answers "Peter Cushing? Yes, he travelled with the Doctor briefly, even got to star in movies made well after his death as a result."

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  5. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The guy who played Henrik Hansen in Holby City, Guy Henry. Did motion capture and voice imitation for Rogue One.

6. Elder Knight

Elder Knight Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Okay, so what I proposed earlier could "canonize" this bit of history, and forevermore explain the dissonant Amicus films.

7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

He was also chosen because of his resemblance and voice just in case the CG Tarkin didn't work out.

IIRC he was also given some facial makeup/prosthetic to help resemble Tarkin more.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
  8. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

His makeup was pretty over-the-top. His prosthetic cheekbones nearly stuck out past his ears.

9. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

Known in the trade as a Reverse Clunes.

10. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

It was obvious by viewing that it was Tarkin. It didn't take looking at the credits to know that.

11. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I love this fan edit from way back of a third Cushing Who movie from the 60s.

publiusr likes this.
  12. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought Curse of the Fatal Death was post Enemy Within?

13. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

It was. I guess the numbers could be resorted...again.

14. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Great stuff.

15. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

Just want to say I love this image.
    This image is great!
    For any reunion I just want to see Eleven and Twelve talking shit at one another, Thirteen trying to play mediator, Nine sitting in a corner exasperated and Ten and Fourteen actually getting on fine with one another.

Qonundrum and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  16. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

It'll be the Daleks. We can hear them chanting right now, "Re-Dec-or-ate! Re-Dec-or-ate!Re-Dec-or-ate!Re-Dec-or-ate! Pew pew pew paint paint paint smell!"

17. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Lots of things, but they say dating in one's sixties is a trifle difficult? :shrug: And yet "The Golden Girls" made it seem way too easy... :guffaw:

JRob94 and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  18. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    This brings back a memory of a picture someone did for a Doctor Who fanzine during the Tom Baker era.

Imagine a Dalek wearing an apron, with a feather duster in place of the plunger attachment, busily doing housework...

Qonundrum likes this.
  19. Elder Knight

Elder Knight Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Another idea for an anniversary special …

You may remember An Adventure in Space and Time, a 2013 BBC docudrama about the first year of the Doctor Who programme, and of William Hartnell’s coping with his pioneering role. It also showcased David Bradley, who would go on to portray the First Doctor in the series proper.

Why not a follow-on: Another Adventure in Space and Time, chronicling the Second Doctor’s career? Patrick Troughton began as a Shakespearian actor (appeared in Laurence Olivier’s Hamlet in 1948), did lots of character roles, Hammer horrors, helped kick off the successful The Omen series, and continued to make personal appearances based upon The Doctor (literally) right up until the end of his life.

And, of course, he took over the Doctor role under precarious circumstances: it was not only a re-casting, but, egad, a regeneration! Could he pull this off?

I understand that Matt Smith admired Troughton’s work and was influenced by it. Perhaps he might be persuaded to portray Patrick, giving him a unique distinction in the annals of Who.

(I’d suggest they wait and see how this one was accepted before contemplating Part III, Yet Another Bloomin’ Adventure in Time and Space.)

JRob94 likes this.
  20. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I think you'll find that there are many fans of An Adventure in Space and Time, myself included.

That said, I do love the idea of a sequel focused on Patrick Troughton. Reece Shearsmith did a pretty good version of him in that film.

JRob94 likes this.