Thoughts on Discovery Starfleet Uniforms (Trailer Edition)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Mark_Nguyen, May 18, 2017.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I never really had a problem with the Cage uniforms later on in life, but when I was very young and TOS was all there was, I think I found the colors of the tunics very...well...boring. I didn't realize The Cage was even a thing until I saw Menagerie, and had already been "spoiled" by the bright, brilliant primary colors of the production series. Not a big deal now that Trek has a long history and diversity of costume design under its belt, but I found Cage uniforms quite "meh" back then...at least until TMP uniforms came along. :D

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The best thing about the Cage uniforms were the away team jackets, echoed very strongly in the movie monster maroons.

3. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Also, the Enterprise field jackets. I really liked those. A shame that they used them so seldomly after the pilot.

mattyhugh and Jesse1066 like this.
  4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The material was a rather odd one, so I don't think there was a willingness to go back to it.

But, I could be misremebering something too.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

How long until someone photoshops or fanmakes the Wrath of Khan "monster maroons" in Discovery's blue with gold trim? I bet it'd look pretty cool.

6. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Challenge accepted:

[​IMG]

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

A better color than maroon. Greatly improves the costume.

8. Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror Commodore Commodore

It was a real world issue. It was the only color that would dye TMP fabric IIRC

9. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Umm... No.

10. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Looks good.

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Now do The Cage grey.

12. Nerys Myk

I thought they only used the TMP uniforms for the enlisted and civilian costumes and the monster maroons were all new.

13. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

The officer uniforms were new. But, oddly enough, the color chosen for them was based upon being able to get the wardrobe left over from ST:TMP to match them.

That's how tight the budget was - the design had to permit re-use of existing wardrobe to fill out the ranks.

Supposedly Fletcher experimentally dyed samples from ST:TMP three different colors - gold, steel-blue and maroon. The producers decided that the maroon was the best looking of the three.

F. King Daniel and Mirror Mirror like this.
  14. Nerys Myk

I'd hate to see the steel blue and gold then!

15. Mirror Mirror

Well, they did look sharp on film. The others may have looked cheap or not filmed well.

16. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

It's all in the lighting.

17. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

If it's not a big deal then why talk about how Discovery revolves around a pivotal moment in Star Trek history?

That's the paradox of Star Trek. The moment you plop a show down into existing continuity you can't ignore canon. You're taking advantage of existing canon as the inspiration for your show. Then you have to decide how you are going to thread the needle between leveraging what your predecessors built and factoring in the passage of real-world time and all of the fashion trends that have come and gone.

18. Mirror Mirror

The look is indeed no big deal. The look does not change events, it does not change characters or the names of ships or aliens or anything. The look was often imposed by real world limitations. The Look does not define the era or history of the setting.

Jedman67, Mr Awe and Nerys Myk like this.
  19. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

That depends on how much fandom sentimentality revolves around the look. SW: Rogue One and Episode VII adhered to the look of the original trilogy despite the 70s-isms.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  20. Mirror Mirror

This is a whole other thing. SW was never " the future" it was always its own thing with a set look

Trek on the other hand has had its look rebooted, over, and over, and over and often heavily limited by budget and technology. We are talking about a look that was totally ditched 48 years ago. Something other than a nod here or there or an anniversary episode was written out of the universe. Its not a big deal to anyone but a few die hard fans that really would not have been happy anyhow.

Jedman67 likes this.