Thoughts on Discovery Starfleet Uniforms (Trailer Edition)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Mark_Nguyen, May 18, 2017.

1. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jotting down random thoughts for discussion:

- No, it doesn't look congruous with what could be inferred with the prime timeline's uniforms of that era. But putting that aside for now...

- The uniforms' blue coloring is closer to ENT than what was seen on the USS Kelvin and arguably on other bluish Starfleet uniforms from that timeline.

- Departmental colors seem to have Bronze, Silver and Gold metallic fabric accents to equate to the more familiar Red, Blue and Gold/Yellow/Green/Whatever of TOS/ENT. However, at least one of the two crewmen up front are wearing bronze, where "classically" they should both be gold; I'm not sure if we see anyone else wearing gold besides the two top kicks.

- The insignia carry the TOS departmental symbols. Rank is displayed on the lower left point of the chevron and seem to be analogous to the TNG dots, but really, really tiny. Luckily we're all doing this in HD. :P

- The tunic is not symmetrical - the front zipper/opening is slightly offset to the wearer's right. Perhaps coincidentally, to balance this out the insignia is split on the wearer's left.

- The captain has additional gold piping on her shoulders, apparently denoting her CO position. Everyone else has a similar fabric texture on their shoulders, but only the Captain's has hers filled in.

- We see a tunic variant with short sleeves that someone is wearing walking down the corridor away from the camera. The latter MIGHT simply be what the undershirt looks like, given how form fitting it is. OTOH, all Starfleet uniforms are more form fitting for women for whatever reason.

- Perhaps for the first time since TMP, the uniform boots are not simple black material. They feature shiny metallic piping around the soles.

If the DSC uniforms continue ANY trend from the Kelvin timeline fashion, it's to make the costumes nearly impossible to recreate for cosplay on the average fan's available budget, without buying a licensed replica...

Mark

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Neumann, Markonian and The Librarian like this.
  2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Also, the metallic fabric incorporates the little Starfleet arrowhead pattern we know from the Kelvinverse.

Ing3nu and Jedman67 like this.
  3. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Has anyone got a decent screenshot showing detail of the Delta material?

4. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Hm, looking at it more closely now, I'm not so sure anymore that it's actually the Starfleet delta. On the silver variant it doesn't look like the delta at all. :confused:

[​IMG]

Markonian likes this.
  5. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

I'm not digging the chainmail material. Seems to kind of straddle between looking like armor and looking like something you wear out to the disco. Silvery material is also super cliche to use for a sci-fi show (think of the Lost in Space faux flight suits).

Ryan Thomas Riddle likes this.
  6. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Disco...very?

7. mos6507

8. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Delta is on all of them, even the silver.

9. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Not a big fan of the metallic piping around the shoulder/armpit area. Very "Spacely Sprockets" and harkens back to 1950's Flash Gordon uniforms - and I'm not saying that as if it's a good thing. Yeah, that metallic patterned material is a little hard to look at. This whole uniform design seems quite anachronistic for the timeframe they're supposed to be in. Oh well...

RedAlert, Hennessy Badger and mos6507 like this.
  10. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

The uniforms look kind of retro.

Oh wait...

11. mos6507

I dunno. I kind of grieve for the state of production design in Hollywood these days. Most superhero costumes are also garbage. Nobody knows what good design is anymore.

12. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

Yeah, for whatever reason. I can't think of anything here... :shifty:

Markonian and Jedman67 like this.
  13. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love the uniforms, and think they fit the style and aesthetic of the period very well.

Gates likes this.
  14. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

They fit the ENT look, but do they really fit the TOS style?
    I don't want to keep mentioning it but JJTrek's take was more convincing to me.

Neumann and Mr. Laser Beam like this.
  15. Number One

Number One Commodore Commodore

I quite like the uniforms actually. Looks plausible. The side bit is just something to toss in to justify HD imo.

16. Number One

Number One Commodore Commodore

No they don't fit the TOS era at all. Excluding the handheld devices and transporter effect, I didn't think anything else did though.

17. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, sorry, I mean in the context of what we see on screen. The uniforms fit the style and aesthetic of the environment we see in the trailer. In terms of classic Trek's uniform styles, they are superior, as far as I'm concerned, but they certainly don't qualify for the Technicolor upgrade we saw in TOS.

18. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

Not a fan of the Uniforms or any of the aesthetics for this show...

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    Ryan Thomas Riddle and chappaai like this.
  19. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

I wasn't convinced either but your screenshot had convinced me so thanks :lol: I think it's a tighter pattern than the ST09 shirts so the Delta is less noticeable at a distance, but it's there.

CorporalCaptain and Amaris like this.
  20. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've watched the trailer a dozen times now, and I just don't like those uniforms. There is way too much going on with the weird piping and the 'chain mail' sides. I prefer the simplicity of the TOS uniforms.
    This is a little too much old school sci-fi for my tastes "Hey guys, let's see how much metal shit we can throw on to these shirts!"