Thoughts on Discovery Starfleet Uniforms (Trailer Edition)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Mark_Nguyen, May 18, 2017.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

:whistle:

2. ThatChapThere

ThatChapThere Lieutenant Red Shirt

I expected something utterly horrible, and I have to say I quite like them. I am pleasantly surprised. They're better than the garbage collector uniforms of ENT anyway.

3. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Not to speak for @jamestyler but the point isn't that the Cage sucked. It's that it was a pilot for a TV show that was never made. They changed a lot, and shot WNMHGB and a TV show was made from that (again, with changes). It seems a tad ridiculous for a show shot today to be beholden to the stylistic choices in a standalone pilot episode that wasn't picked up. Sure, they cut the footage into The Menagerie later as a cost saving measure, but it's still just the one episode worth of "Pike era" story. Weighted against a potential whole new Trek series, it seems to be a bit excessive to treat it as the gold standard for this time period. Especially when the new show would only require an update in technology/aesthetics and didn't stop the actual story from happening in exactly the same way as depicted. That was already true anyway, as ENT had disposed of lasers long before Pike was weilding them.

4. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like the uniforms sofar, but it wasn't what I was expecting. I really thought they would do a updated 'The Cage'-ish uniform, like they updated the TOS uniforms for the Kelvin-universe movies.

They do seem like a good evolution from the Enterprise-era uniforms, which I totally loved.

Markonian and Shamrock Holmes like this.
  5. CorporalCaptain

*head explodes for the billionth time*

6. cultcross

I was expecting a bit more colour, perhaps a version of the tunic we'd seen a shoulder of in the other departmental colours. But the engineering swirl on the badge had got me thinking maybe they were all that colour and it was a dress jacket or something, a la the monster maroons. Overall, i like the new uniforms although they're not fitting into the roster of favorites just yet.

7. Mage

Hm.... I hadn't taken a good look at screencaps yet, and after your comment I checked them out. After watching them, I have to say they do look a bit more dressy. And the gold trimming isn't really working that well, neither is the collar. They looked better in motion than in still. If that makes any sense.

8. Captain Indecisive

Captain Indecisive Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I like that there are different kinds.

The clip in the corridor had a woman wearing a short sleeve top.

It would be good if engineering had their own on duty outfits like Scotty has in Star Trek 2.

I don't mean the same kind, just that it is different.

Mage likes this.
  9. cultcross

I always liked uniform eras where there was some variety - however these are usually reserved for movies as TV variety just adds cost and continuity headaches which they'd probably rather avoid. I also always liked the ones where there was some visual metaphor for being weary/overworked like opening your jacket flap, unzipping the undershirt a bit, rolling your sleeves up, that sort of thing. It made them seem more real and gave some visual individuality to the characters (O'Brien's constantly rolled up sleeves, for example, or Saavik and Spock always being formally buttoned up)

10. Mage

Yeah, that was a nice thing to see, some more variety

Which is also why I really liked Enterprise's uniforms, they actually looked like clothes you worked in, making it more real.

Shamrock Holmes likes this.
  11. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

Feel free to speak for me as that's saved me a post I was too tired for earlier and pretty much sums up my thoughts :p

This bit baffles me though. Was it shrugged off? No. Was it a barley used outdated style? Yes. I would however say that regardless of any designer or the legends of who made what, the Cage uniforms were far from legendary themselves from the base design to the horrible construction that was distractedly bad when Shatner wore it.

Regardless of any affections of key elements of a 50 year old design, with such incredible advances both in film-making and real world technology itself, the idea that our future should be viewed through the lens of a limited and, in comparison to what we can do now, primitive viewpoint is absolutely baffling.

JoeP and Markonian like this.
  12. CorporalCaptain

Theiss built on his own work to design the Starfleet uniforms for TNG. The DSC uniforms owe more than a little to those, so I, for the life of me, can't see how his legendary work is being casually shrugged off, even just a little.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Tell it to the military and NASA. I'm sure they'd love to be called "garbage collectors". :lol:

Markonian and ChristopherPike like this.
  14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed.

15. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really like the uniforms. They look futuristic for a 2017 production. Also, they got it pretty close to the Enteprise Uniform and other than the First Contact grays, I really liked the Enterprise uniform.

16. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can someone please tell me what the hell the problem with the Cage uniforms is? It can't just be that they are ill-fiting. Properly tailored and with the insignia moved to the gray jacket they would be very stylish. A cross between First Contact and the Monster Maroons.

17. CorporalCaptain

Who said there was anything wrong with them?

18. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Most folks born after 1981.
    :hugegrin:

(Just kidding...kinda)

Markonian and 137th Gebirg like this.
  19. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Can't speak for others, but I personally love the “Cage” uniforms. But that doesn't mean I want them for this show. I want new stuff! :)

Nerys Myk likes this.
  20. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Nothing. I think they have a timeless and practical quality that could have easily been updated for modern use. Not to speak for others, but my point was simply that why should the makers of ST: Discovery feel beholden to use them when they were only featured in one rejected pilot, one second pilot, and one flashback episode? Ideally the makers of a new show are going to want to create their own cool new uniforms instead of using existing ones.

Besides, if one has a Bernd Schneider-y obsession with adhering to canon the timeline for Discovery is "roughly a decade before TOS" which leaves enough wiggle room that these could have been the uniforms which preceded The Cage uniforms in 2254, or that The Cage uniforms were being phased in while these were being phased out (much like the transition between the TNG and DS9 Starfleet uniforms where both were being worn simultaneously).

Or you can just ignore the canon because it's not a big deal and just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Shamrock Holmes, Mage and Michael like this.