Things you notice while gaming.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Gingerbread Demon, Aug 26, 2021.

1. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Speaking of which, I had a major disconnect when I first heard the Prince speak in the 2015 Prince of Persia, being voiced by Nolan North. Similar type of climbing to Uncharted more or less. As a voice actor, and a great one at that, he sure gets around!

2. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

He certainly does. I never thought it was Laura Bailey either when I first heard Nadine speak in Uncharted 4

3. Owain Taggart

And Whoops, I just realized it was not a 2015 game, but 2008! The game looks more modern than that, given that cel-shaded scales really well.

4. Gingerbread Demon

What was?

5. Owain Taggart

The Prince of Persia game. The one I was playing was actually released in 2008 and was the last PoP game published, but looks and feels more like something from 2015 due to how good it looks and how well it holds up in general. Doesn't look as dated as one would think for a game from 2008.

6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Also, the main character is the only person who can solve a problem that has been going on for a while.
    My biggest one (and I've referenced before) is raiders or thugs still try to pounce on a fully armored character armed to the teeth. Like, OK, maybe I won't try to club the guy with a stick who is wearing the best armor.

My other biggest one is that NPC enemies will eventually give up. I still recall a game (granted from 2000) where NPC soldiers would just go "He's gone; not our problem" as if the guy who they were assigned to hunt down was just gone for good.

Edit: Clarification since I was a bit repetitive.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    BK613 and JirinPanthosa like this.
  7. Gingerbread Demon

Cel shading holds up pretty well most of the time. it's a different look that's for sure.

8. Owain Taggart

Depends on its use, but yeah, I also played another old cel-shaded game recently, XIII and that held up amazingly well. But in PoP, it was in the details as well. Some of the older PoP games haven't held up nearly as well , and they're all from the 2000's.

9. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assuming that they even notice that someting is going on. I've played many a game where one-shotting a NPC will draw no attention from the surrounding NPCs.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  10. Owain Taggart

Yeah, that's particularly prevalent in stealth games, but also in open-world games, and IMHO the search patterns haven't changed all that much over the years. We've only seen mild improvements over the years. Even in Horizon Zero Dawn, with robots that are supposedly smarter, they lose the scent much too quickly. I do wish the heightened status would last far longer. Ideally, the heightened status should last for as long as you're in the area. I do like how Uncharted 4 and Ghosts of Tsushima did it. Some would get nervous and go and talk to some others, who would then start to look, and you could toy with them and get them angry.

11. Gingerbread Demon

Uncharted 4 enemies are brutal on higher levels... Ouch! That's why I don't do that

12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Does it weird anyone else out that half the video game fan art out there is of women who are supposed to be powerful and badass dressed up in infantilizing outfits in submissive poses?

One other thing I notice is the lack of survival instinct of literally anyone in the game. A wild animal will just keep aggroing no matter how much you hurt it or how close you are to death. Bandits who you clearly out power and out gun will fight to the last man without ever running to save themselves.

13. Gingerbread Demon

Which games in particular do this? I can't say I have noticed that kind of thing.

14. JirinPanthosa

I notice it most with JRPGs, but nearly everything with powerful female characters. Fans don’t draw them powerful, they draw them submissive.

15. Gingerbread Demon

OH well yea Japanese games, they seem to have this fascination with women with huge eyes, boobs, and somehow yes they are adults but also kind of not adults, yet they have features of adult women like the boobs and butt, and adult figure, also they seem to have an obsession in these games of nudity where it's never required.

16. JirinPanthosa

That's an issue in some Japanese games, but I'm referring to a lot of the American fan base.

They take a character who is strong, powerful and assertive and represent her as the exact opposite of that.

I've seen it done with badass characters in Western games too. Like they take these strong fictional characters, strip them of their strength to make them dress up sex dolls.

Why can't they make them both strong and sexy at the same time?

17. Gingerbread Demon

Oh well that's just the fans, I have no idea why they do that to the characters it is as you say to sexualise them, turn them into playthings.

18. Malicia

Malicia Fleet Captain Premium Member

I remember Prince Of Persia on the Amiga in the 90s and it was so hard I've still not completed it. I tried it recently on my PC using an Amiga emulator and it's still a ball breaker.

19. Owain Taggart

^Yeah, the original game, which had groundbreaking animation for the time, was pretty brutal. It was very much more about the puzzles than forging ahead to fight. Interestingly, the Assassin's Creed series originally started as a Prince of Persia game with assassins, then evolved into the first AC game. You can still see the roots in the setting, and the clunky climbing mechanics are derived from the PoP games. So many times I died just because of a stupid camera angle, or because the game decided I wanted to jump in the opposite direction.

Unrelated, but I'm playing Witcher 3: B&W, and it's fun to play with subtitles because you can easily miss a line of dialogue if you're not paying attention, which can lead to noticing some interesting translation errors. Well, with Toussaint being based a French country, I noticed a character saying "toute-suite", but the subtitle said "toute sweet".

20. Gingerbread Demon

Marvels Avengers on steam, an OK game not that great and certainly not worth full price. But its passable fun.

BTW howcome when you kill enemies be they people, zombies, or monsters/aliens suddenly there is loot and weapons on their bodies, and yet no means of storage from where they came from unless they were shoved up their butts? :s