Things that frustrate us all

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rhubarbodendron, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Worf factor9

Worf factor9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry, but you "asked" for it. Pie, I loves me almost all kinds of pie. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. galleywest

galleywest Lovable Flake Premium Member

Hmmmmm... When my mom makes the pie, yes, that pie is probably better than doughnuts. What's your pie flavor of choice?

3. Worf factor9

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
    galleywest and Westie1701 like this.
  4. There Be Whales Here

There Be Whales Here Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Employers who don't want to pay jack to have enough employees to cover shifts and instead keep bothering the existing ones to work outside their agreed upon schedule. It's my day off...let me alone! :mad:

5. Westie1701

Westie1701 Captain Captain

Sending a hug, AuntieHill - hope you can avoid your in-laws over the holidays as much as possible ! Maybe your spouse can run interference while you make your getaway - you could jump up and say "We need more ice !" and then come hide here with us ;)

A very frustrating offshoot of that is when you tell someone you've had something bad happen, like a car accident or a sick pet, and they say "Oh, did I tell you about MY accident ?!" or "Well, my Fluffy hasn't been feeling well either and she's been..." and then they go on, like, forever...

I once called a distant cousin to tell her my father had died, and I was easing into it with "You know how my father has been in the hospital lately..." and she was off and running ! She talked without even taking a breath, apparently, and after 20 minutes abruptly said "Getting another call - I have to go" and she hung up.

She called two weeks later and yelled "Why didn't you tell me your dad died ?!" :mad:

Commander Troi and auntiehill like this.
  6. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Mincemeat can't go straight to hell. It's already there, because that's where it comes from. :vulcan::ack:

I am not much of a pie person (sorry, Dean) but I like a nice apple pie, a chocolate cream pie, a cold strawberry pie on a summer day.....but really, if there's chocolate ice cream in the room, all the other desserts can fuck off.

My gripe of the day. We have a very large grocery store near us, which I love because it has just about everything I need/want in a grocery store. The only problem is the fuckwit drivers who can't seem to understand the GIANT WHITE ARROWS painted on big, black squares on the asphalt mean "GO THIS DIRECTION, numbnuts." I turn to go and down the aisle and a big SUV comes up the same aisle, and they just stop and stare at me. How the fuck did you THINK this was going to turn out? I'm not moving. YOU move. So they eventually squeeze by me and look at me like I'm the asshole. I just point to the ground where the arrow is.

What the hell is wrong with people? At that angle, you probably couldn't even park that giant tank in the space anyway. [​IMG]

7. Worf factor9

Tell us what you really think. ;)
    [​IMG]

8. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

[​IMG]

But... mincemeat is one of the best things about the Christmas season! (Well, that and gingerbread...) I look forward to it every year. Mincemeat pies and tarts are wonderful!

(To be fair, I am not speaking of "traditional" mincemeat with actual... meat or whatever. I'm referring to the typical North American version with currants and apples and spices and all those good things. If you two were actually referring to the traditional version, then I will just quietly agree with you and sneak back out of the thread.)

Sorry, but unfortunately the board software does impose character limits, so...

9. Westie1701

Mincemeat pie with the "actual... meat or whatever" - haha, Avro - is what Rachel on Friends ended up with when making her ill-fated trifle !

[​IMG]

Fruits & spices = good :)

Meat = bad :angryrazz:

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It drives me crazy that most music with lyrics these days has the music completely overwhelm the lyrics. My mom and I went to see Encanto at the theater and we both admitted that we could barely understand half of the songs' lyrics. When I've run into that watching stuff on the TV, I always blamed it on the fact that I was watching it with just the TV's stereo speakers, but the theaters usually have state of the art surround sound, and it still happened there, which means that's just the way they made it.
    I run into the same thing with the music I listen to on Spotify too, so apparently that's just the way all music is these days.
    It drives me nuts, because if a song has lyrics, then I would like to be able understand them, especially with something like Encanto where the lyrics are giving some pretty important information.

11. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

We found a "Clear Voice" setting on our TV, which helps, but yes, I think stuff is being mixed really oddly.

Or, we're getting old... :biggrin:
    ::running away::

Westie1701 likes this.
  12. Westie1701

Hey, now - we're not old, Cmdr. Troi ! At least it doesn't say that on my AARP card... :lol:

They're awesome, BTW - lots of great discounts ! - and you only have to be 50 to get one...

As for music & TV being distorted, it's hard for me anyway, as I had an illness-related hearing loss in my 20s and have worn a hearing aid ever since, but even with that I can still tell the difference when the sound editing/mixing isn't done well.

No one should have to lean in to a speaker to hear something whispered, or back away from one if things go all explode-y !

Commander Troi and Velocity like this.
  13. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Puzzling road construction schedules, like when they start repaving the school zones the week before school starts or I don't know, start in on my neighborhood a week before Thanksgiving...

Commander Troi and Westie1701 like this.
  14. Non Sync

Non Sync Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hiding from the NARA, I've said too much...
    They always schedule road construction for maximum inconvenience.

15. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yep,they are tearing up the Main Street of my town just as things are getting busy for the silly season.Cue queues,stop-go systems and general chaos.

Commander Troi, Westie1701 and BK613 like this.
  16. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Watched the driver of a small truck drive pass the freeway exit, then immediately cut across two lanes (and the space between the freeway and the off-ramp) to get onto that off-ramp. Stupid people are dangerous.

17. Malicia

Malicia Fleet Captain Premium Member

Witnessed some shocking driving recently when someone thought it would be ok to stop in the outside lane of a dual carriageway to cut across the inside lane and make the slip road they had almost missed. It caused multiple cars in both lanes to screech to a halt and all were beeping as they had no idea what the driver was doing. They were indicating but it was unthinkable that they could drive in that manner on a road where the limit is 50mph. I was angry because they probably got away with it even though they could easily have caused an accident and they should be prosecuted for dangerous driving. It wasn't just careless it was dangerous.

18. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's effing Texas, where backing into parking spaces, garages, and driveways almost qualifies as a past-time. And back-up cameras has only made it worse.

19. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

You’d think by now airlines would have figured out a way to streamline the luggage pick up process.

You’re exhausted and trying to get home and you have to stand there and wait over half a f***ing hour for them to buy bags on a stupid conveyor belt with no communication or ETA information whatsoever.

Commander Troi, Westie1701 and BK613 like this.
  20. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

There is a simple way around that. I have seen early airliner art where you just put your own bags in the fuselage.

Babies of course, should go in the cargo holds where they belong.