Things that are out of place in movies

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Miss Chicken, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

that always bothered me too. as a kid i sat up and said, 'hey! i've got that issue! wait a sec, it wasn't published in the 50s it was the 70s!'

2. Amaris

Amaris Guest

We have mountains?!
    [runs to window]
    Aw. Movies lied. :(

;)

Anyhoo, in the movie "White Christmas", during the trip to Vermont from Florida, you can clearly see the passenger train switches between Santa Fe and Southern Pacific, both of which are nowhere near the Northeastern Corridor.

3. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Accordin' to Chris Carter & The X-Files, Dallas is a lone city in the middle of a desert.

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

To make matters worse, it wasn't just any old issue of THE AVENGERS. It was the one where Yellowjacket married the Wasp, which any Avengers fan is going to recognize at once.

So it was a famous anachronistic issue to boot.

(Not that I imagine anyone filming the scene realized it. The prop guy probably just grabbed a couple of old comics and figured nobody would know the difference.)

5. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Likewise, I'm always a bit confused by the twisting mountain roads in northeast Indiana where Ray Neary chases a group of UFOs in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind".

6. AJBryant

AJBryant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In "You Only Live Twice", Bond and Kissy are in a car fleeing from the baddies at Osato HQ in downtown Tokyo, and within moments are on a deserted coastal road (!) from which a helo plucks the chasing car to drop it in the sea. Then they get a call that a ship they're tailing is in Kobe port, scheduled to depart at five, and Bond says, "We can just make it."

There's no way in the WORLD they could make a Tokyo to Kobe drive in one afternoon like that.

7. Greg Cox

I quickly gave up trying to figure out where exactly in Seattle that hospital in GREY'S ANATOMY is located.

(Movie rule: all addresses in Seattle have an unblocked view of the Space Needle, just as all apartments in Paris have a perfect view of the Eiffel Tower.)

As for SMALLVILLE . . . anyone from Kansas want to comment on how well they fake Kansas in Vancouver, BC?

8. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Tacoma and Spokane often double for Seattle. Speaking of which, Frasier, according to the view from his balcony, lives in the middle of a lake.

Growing up in Seattle, and living in NYC for 10 years, one spots these mistakes often. Doesn't Mary Jane manage to run from St Patrick's Cathedral to Washington Square Park at the end of Spider-Man 2? That girl sure has stamina in heels!

9. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here. The aerial shots of the medevac helicopter approaching Seattle Grace are actually approaching the helipad of KOMO-TV (Seattle's ABC affiliate) which is across the street from Seattle Center (where the Space Needle lives). However, the view out of those big windows in the hospital's atrium look out over a fairly big expanse of trees which exists nowehere in that part of Seattle. You might get that view over by Woodland Park Zoo, but that's a couple miles north of where the helo is landing.

10. Greg Cox

And it doesn't seem to be anywhere near "Pill Hill" where many of the big hospitals are located . . . or so I recall. (I haven't actually lived in Seattle since the eighties!)

11. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

what about the fact they watch the helicopter carrying off that car, and they see it on the video screen flying away, as though from another helo, even though there isn't one...

12. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Foke-Wulf Fa 223 Drache ("Dragon" in English)

Focke-Wulf Fw 61(aka Fa 61)

13. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

the Pilot for Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles was filmed in Albuquerque while the rest of the series was filmed in L.A. (or Vancouver) when they travel foreward in time they come out on the interstate in "L.A." which is in reality I-40 in Albuquerque, the 40 and the 25 intersect in Albuquerque, and the overpasses have this desert tan adobe look going on with a turquoise stripe which is unique to Albuquerque

also as Terminator:Salvation was filmed in New Mexico, it's fun watching a car chase that one moment has you going from Broadway, to the road infront of the studio,(both on the south edge of ABQ) to the Taos Bridge (north of Santa-Fe)

14. AJBryant

AJBryant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Good point.

That's a variation on every "monitoring camera" that seems to miraculously be able to zoom, pan, and even cut to different POVs when the footage is "replayed" -- miraculously even seeming to be identical to the footage shown to the audience in the regular footage of the show. ;)

15. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Anyone else thinking of Lucy Lawless?

"Whenever you see something like, a wizard did it."

16. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

There was a scene in one of the seasons where Clark and the gang were at a forest lake near Smallville. It was a very large lake surrounded by a dense forest filled with huge, dark-green, pine trees. I laughed mightily at that. Most of the "farm stuff" in Smallville, I suppose, isn't too bad from how more rural areas of Kansas are but then there's times when it seems more hilly or forested than Kansas really is. There's also a few establishing shots of Metropolis (in Kansas as well in the SV universe) where it has what looks like a large river outside of it, the large type of river you'd likely see out side, say, NYC that ships and such would be on. Certainly not the type of rivers that are outside the cities in Kansas (which are little more than wide, shallow, tributaries barely able to support river boats let alone large barges.)

Kansas is also shown to be fairly hilly at times which would depend where Smallville is. If Metropolis is supposed to be the stand-in for Kansas City then a hilly area makes a bit of sense the Eastern half of Kansas is fairly hilly. But as someone who's driven across Kansas into Colorado a couple of times I can say that Western Kansas is pretty damn flat.

17. Greg Cox

I've never been to Kansas, but I do occasionally wonder when they do a scene atop a raging waterfall, or when we find out that there's a dense primeval forest within walking distance of the Luthor Mansion. (Remember the evil Forest Ranger who could control plants like Poison Ivy?)

And, yeah, I seem to recall Metropolis having a bustling waterfront sometimes, where shady things go on down at "the docks."

In Kansas?

18. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I read that they did that on purpose to show that she has no life. I've seen educated people ignorant of a landmark or something that should be very noticable to them on a daily basis.

Oh yeah... I've seen people not realizing that the leaves had been changing colors and even falling off the trees for weeks.

19. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Die Hard 4, when they tried to sell Baltimore for Washington D.C.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

In About Schmidt, when Jack Nicholson's character (Warren Schmidt) goes grocery shopping.

The film was shot and set in Omaha, where I live. The grocery scene was set in my store, but filmed at a much larger - and, I admit, nicer - store across town (it's the same company though).