TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by TheGodBen, Oct 16, 2011.

1. MrBorg

MrBorg Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It seems Mass Effect 3 has ASSUMED DIRECT CONTROL of TGB.

2. free2131

free2131 Ensign Red Shirt

From what I've heard online, you are gonna be VERY disappointed when you finish.

3. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know that feeling; I wasted most of the teenage years of my life playing first Simcity 4, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (the best turn based strategy game ever) and now Battlefield Bad Company 2. Games are addictive...

4. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

Sim City 5 come out next year. I'm going to end up losing my job, husband and kids. But I will finally complete my goal of building the entire continental United States.

5. Sykonee

Sykonee Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Since this thread is semi-offrails as it is, and I don't want to wander into the Gaming forum, I may as well ask ol' GoddyBen this here.

Of the following sci-fi franchises, who's ending do you think has pissed off its loyal, dedicated fanbase the most:

A. VOY
    B. ENT
    C. Altered ROTJ
    D. ME3

6. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But it will be worth it!

7. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll go with B.

A was bad, but not horrible.
    C was irritating and stupid, but hardly unexpected if you'd seen the altered earlier films.
    D is not one I'm personally familiar with and is probably too recent for comment.

B, OTOH... this is a "Valentine for the fans"? Really? Which fans in particular? The fact that ENT had actually improved during its final season, and that this is what we get to finish things off...I mean really, the only thing worth watching is the montage at the end.

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Heh, I just started a thread in the ENT Forum a few days back about TATV Popularity. As insulted as us BBS posters felt over the episode, apparently it was well loved by the General Public (Must be TNG fans, I guess), because I just noticed on the "Captains Log" Fan Collection Box set, TATV was selected as a Fan Favorite. Apparently, even though we disliked it so much, they knew what they were doing :confused:

9. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm, we're still in the middle of the ME3 hate-storm, but I'd give it the edge because the developers have indicated that they're open to changing the ending in the face of the backlash against them. I know that those Trek finales were retconned somewhat in the novels, but those were written by different people.

What makes ME3's ending so toxic to fans is that the games themselves are so amazing. Mass Effect 3 is a fantastic game, even with that ending I would still recommend it to anyone that enjoys great space opera, it is an experience like few others. I laughed, I held back manly tears, I felt a true bromance with a Turian named Garrus. So the fact that they dropped the ball in the last five minutes, then tripped and broke their own neck, it's not only disappointing, it's utterly incomprehensible.

10. apenpaap

apenpaap Commodore Commodore

Yeah, it's bizarre that TATV is on the fan favourite in Captain's Log. Scott Bakula's introduction to it is kind of funny, though. He sounds really surprised it came out as a fan favourite and it really seems like he's trying to stop himself from saying: "Why the hell did you select this stinker, fans?!"

11. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Perhaps it's a situation where masses of people voted for it "for the lulz" - and it backfired spectacularly because too many of them did it? :p

12. Sykonee

Sykonee Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Heh. Seems like such an innocent time when the biggest criticism the game had was day-one DLC and the potential for a gay romance.:lol:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  13. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, at least with A. the fanbase has clearly moved on to Twilight.

14. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, the internet has had it out for ME3 for the last few months, it seemed like fans were actively hoping that the game would suck for some reason, in some cases people were actually making things up just to criticise the game. I assumed that the backlash against the ending was just another case of people griping for no reason, considering the quality of the rest of the game there was no way that the ending could be that bad. Then I got to the end...

15. apenpaap

By the way, what altered ending of ROTJ? Did George Lucas change it?

16. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Anakin force-ghost is now played by Hayden Christensen.

17. apenpaap

^Oh, that? To be honest (and I should probably stop talking right now) I prefer that over the old version.

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Plus, there's the business with Darth Vader saying "noooooooo" during the Luke/Emperor confrontation now.

19. apenpaap

^Really? I thought that was just a joke edit someone on youtube had made. That's bloody awful if it's really in there.

20. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

You'd think it would be a joke edit.

Sadly, you'd be wrong.

Also, blinking Ewoks are freaky.