The X-Men Cinematic Universe (General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by DigificWriter, May 1, 2016.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I stand corrected, although the larger point remains: Captain America has showed endurance as a solo character far longer than Cyclops.

2. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Marvel Studios made Ant-Man and a talking racoon relevant. If anyone could make Cyclops work as a solo character, it would be the MCU. Not that I'm saying I really want a solo Cyclops movie, but I think a good one could be made.

3. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It could... but there is absolutely no need for it.

4. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Just like there were no need for movies about Logan?

kirk55555 likes this.
  5. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kinda like that, but wolverine is also a more interesting character.

6. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The bigger problem with Cyclops is that he never really recovered from all the damage Chris Claremont did to him and the nastiness of how they got him to join X-Factor.

There's a lot to his backstory that could be mined for an interesting character, what with how all he went through at that Orphanage run by Sinister and then having to live on the streets as a unwilling sidekick to a villain before Xavier found him. But no one ever really did anything with that.

The X-Men Evolution cartoon series did a lot of good with his character, having him clash with Xavier more and having Logan be his teacher instead of a later team-mate gave them a MUCH more interesting dynamic than their usual feuding.

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

The damage wasn't done by Chris Claremont. He was content to leave Scott happily married and retired from superheroing in Alaska. It was when Bob Layton pitched X-Factor, and Mark Waid, Roger Stern and John Byrne contrived way to bring Jean Grey back from the dead. Layton is the one who had Scott unceremoniously dump Maddie to return to Jean the way he did. It was up to Claremont and Louise Simonson to clean up Layton's mess. In Layton's defense, his original X-Factor pitch had Dazzler in the female spot rather than Jean.

8. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

He didn't want to write about Scott at all once he took over the book and did what he could to marginalize him so he could make Storm the leader. Every other character in the book was given more to do than him.

I don't know why no one suggested just having Maddie get powers and take over for Jean.

9. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

Oh yes, no doubt about that.

10. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Unless Dark Phoenix does super-extremely well at the box office, I think you're right. Even before the Disney deal, I expected this to be the end. They kinda painted themselves into a corner with the whole each-movie-jumps-ahead-10-years thing. And I don't think McAvoy, Fassbender, or Lawrence would want to continue anyway. Heck, I'm surprised that they got them all back for this one.

Meanwhile, I already don't consider Deadpool to be part of the X-Men movie universe. There's just no way to reconcile Deadpool's modern setting with the 1980s version of the character from X-Men Origins: Wolverine, even after the time travel shenanigans from DOFP. So I expect that they will gradually work Deadpool into the MCU. The question with him is less one of continuity and more one of how closely Disney wants to associate their kid-friendly MCU with a foul-mouthed R-rated character like him. I expect it to be more like the Netflix shows where they're technically in the same continuity but they're never really seen together. (Although, if they can do R-rated movies that are in the MCU without necessarily crossing over that much, I really hope that they bring back Wesley Snipes for a Marvel-sanctioned Blade IV.)

Agreed. I would have liked to see the character a bit more in the mainline X-Men movies but I have a hard time getting too excited about a solo movie, especially since I have never been able to picture Channing Tatum in the role.

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I think he's the only actor that will transition to the MCU, and could pull it off with a comment to camera 'Is it me, or does everyone else look different ?'

And Blade ? My money's on a TV show starring his daughter with Snipes guesting as Blade Sr.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wolverine is by far the most popular and well known X-Man, so it made sense for him to end up getting his own movies.

13. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Eh, if the other characters were treated the way Logan was (and they're just as worthwhile characters as him) they'd all be worthy of movies too.

14. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

With Wolverine it was just as much the actor, not only the character that made him a break-out

15. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I checked all the actors and actresses who turned down roles in the first X-Men movie. Likely it was because they read the script and saw that they'd have little to do next to Wolverine.

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Wolverine was a breakout character *loooong* before the movies, though in fairness the excellent casting of Jackman cemented that popularity and ensured it continued on in the movies.

17. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just saw the original again last night...it really is a good movie.. While some of the actors are mediocre many are fantastic. This movie really heralded in the modern age of superheromovies

18. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

It was good for its time, sadly they haven't moved on much since then.

19. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

^ A "mediocre" franchise wouldn't last for 17 years - and counting - without continuity interruptions, so clearly your assessment of its quality isn't accurate.

M'rk son of Mogh likes this.
  20. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The FoX-Men do have major continuity interruptions. And they did as well as they did due to having little to no competition at the time.