Spoilers The Walking Dead - Season 9 discussion and spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by TREK_GOD_1, Oct 8, 2018.

1. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

I noticed there was a helicopter in the opening credits. I'm assuming the credits are choc fulla Chekhov's pistols.
    It's interesting that they've changed the pace and are going a more political route, but knowing up front that two characters are going stage right already leaves even less to want to care about.

2. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

That would be horrible--probably the most brutal death in WD's history. Still, if you want it to really come full circle with the Greene family, then Maggie would suffer the same fate as her father, only the contrast is that Hershel dies still trying to negotiate peace, while Maggie--at least as of this premiere episode--walks along a far different path.

Daryl still acts like an outsider, and as you heard in the episode, he looks fondly back to the days when the small, core group could "do anything", so he would need some major character change to break him out of his loner / "good 'ol days" mentality. Perhaps something like feeling responsible for anything happening to Rick....

3. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mares. ;) :whistle::nyah:

4. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Instead of horses why not just bikes and I am not talking about motorcycles. You don't have to water and feed a bike.

Jason

5. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I'm talking about the previous assassination attempt, of course. He didn't need to lunge at her with a knife to prove his guilt, since he confessed to her-- with no withesses.

Good point. I don't think we've ever seen a pedal bike on the show.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The Scavengers have/used them.

7. Jayson1

Technically we see one in the background in the first episode. I think it's wear RIck kills the halved Zombie lady and also I think you can see a kid riding one at The Governor's location back when they were trying to maintain a normal civilization before things started to fall apart.

Jason

8. RJDiogenes

Okay, thanks, I didn't remember that.

Yeah, I do remember something about a kid and a bike. But you're right that it's something that adults should be making better use of. Especially since there should be a million of them out there in those abandoned stores that they scavenge.

9. Jayson1

Not just bikes but I was also thinking of hot air ballons for air travel or hand gliders but I don't know how any of those things work. Finding these things though that are still functioning I am guessing might not be so easy. Also are their any electrical cars still out their if they are having problems in terms of gas.

Jason

10. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

Creating power is another issue. In the long run, pedal bikes are the best way to go.

Frankly, I'm surprised nuclear reactors haven't melted down and exploded by now. Z NATION touched on that in their FIRST season.

11. Jayson1

I agree. Nukes are something that is often ignored. "Last Man on Earth" also delt with that issue.

Jason

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

With the whole travel issue, I would think horses would be a lot more efficient that pedal bikes. For one thing it's a lot less work for the rider, and while I don't know a ton about horse, it seems to me that you can probably go a lot farther faster on a horse than a bike. I don't really see food being that much of a problem since there still seems to be a lot of grass around. Not to mention, horses are just plain cooler.
    I finally watched the premiere this morning, and I really like it. After so much time focused on fighting, I like seeing them actually focusing on rebuilding the world.
    I love that they got Carol and Ezekiel together, I've really enjoyed the way that relationship has developed.
    Maggie executing Gregory was surprising, but I really think he had it coming. He's screwed her over repeatedly, and it was pretty much inevitable that he would end up going to far. I was a bit surprised by her attitude towards Rick at the end there, but after everything the Saviors put them through, I can see not everyone being as forgiving as Rick. It definitely looks like how the other groups are dealing with them now that the war is over is going to be a big source of conflict this season.

13. Jayson1

Only problem with Carol and Ezekial is she and Darryl were meant to be. They can't end with her not hooking up with Darryl. Hope they don't make the "Dawson Creek" mistake of having Joey and Pacey end up together instead of poor Dawson. All he ended with was a random encounter with Stephen Speilberg. They got to live happily ever after.

Jason

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked how that relationship was developing too, but I think we seem to have pretty much moved past it at this point.

15. TREK_GOD_1

Those are dangerous forms of travel even in a world with hospitals, but in TWD's world? that would be foolish--begging for death, eventually.

They are friends and nothing more. Any chance for romance--or the suggestion of that feeling ended in season 4. To be honest, Daryl appeared to be drawing closer to Beth in a romantic sense (right up until that funeral home kitchen moment in 4B) than Carol by that point. Since that time, she's acted like a concerned aunt or sister to him, so in the event Ezekiel dies, Carol ending up with Daryl would seem like dropped-in fan service with no in-series purpose.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    Starkers likes this.
  16. RJDiogenes

Hang gliders wouldn't work without something to get them airborne, but hot air balloons might be a good idea. They use propane, though, which might be an issue, and I'm not sure where you'd find the balloons or how hard they are to maintain. They might be good to use sparingly as reconnaissance or something, but probably not as a form of regular transportation.

17. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Bikes should definitely e a high priority. They don’t require food or training (rider or horse), and can be nice and reliable. Lot of effort to keep a horse up and running, training to not freak out around zombies, etc. bikes would be plentiful, everyone knows how to use them already, etc. a few horses would have their place, but used rarely outside of a plow horse

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got thinking about a point in my last post, and now I'm not so sure about it. Who would be able to travel faster or farther, or farther faster, a person on horseback rider or a cyclist?
    EDIT:
    A couple other questions occurred to me.
    Would a horse be able to travel easier over more varieties of terrain?
    Which is harder to do serious damage to, a horse or a bike? Horses can break their legs or get other injuries, but a bike tire can be punctured pretty easily, and can be damaged if you wipe out or hit something.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  19. Jayson1

Well one advantage a bike has over a horse is a bike won't die on you. Also zombies aren't going to try and eat your bike. Also a bike won't be spooked or run away from you because it gets scared. Another thing is if your following a specific path you could perhaps leave bikes along the trail as replacement rides in case you looses yours. In fact I would think they as a group would also be thinking about creating various outposts beyond the main communities area's.

One other thing and this is something I only saw in "Mad Max" but wouldn't you if your trying to rebuild society try and find a oil well and get it working and start pumping new gas? To me the 3 things I would want to start off in rebuidling society is getting a oil well up and running plus a refinery and a place to make cars. I would think trying to take over factories and getting them up and running would be a priority so you can start rebuilding or replacing the old tech that will start to become less reliable and unusable. Or maybe one of those wind farms but I don't know what goes into making those things work. Why start off with a old fashioned wind mill when you got those more modern ones already built that you can simply repair and get going again.

One other thing is at some point wouldn't people take the Morgan idea of just going out and killing as many zombies as possible. I mean how many of them could their be and I am guessing for every knew zombie that is created at least 5 or more die or become defanged and no longer a threat on a daily basis. Why not speed up the process. Heck if you could get a ballon going just flying over a heard and droping a bomb would make a huge impact. Might not kill them but many of them would have severed legs or messed up mouths thus making them a non danger to humans.

Jason

Jason

20. TREK_GOD_1

The Walking Dead
    Season 9 / episode 2 - "The Bridge"

Rick & Michonne: "That's why we need to build something that's bigger than any one of us" Of course Michonne is right, but its clear Maggie and Daryl reject any notion of ex-Saviors ever being anything other than a dangerous burden, even as Maggie thawed on the idea of Ken's mother visiting her husband in jail.

Talking to Negan is not exactly therapeutic; Rick had to know Negan would needle him in any way--including mentioning Carl.

Daryl: I would not find it a stretch to think part of last seasons "we will show him" between Daryl and Maggie might include setting up more conflicts (releasing Negan as a manufactured insurrection, forcing Rick's hand to kill off the ex-Saviors.

Carol / Ezekiel / Kingdom: Henry seems to have come a long way, but the expression on his face toward the abusive ex-Savior reads like he might go "killer" again, since its pretty clear he's a disaster waiting to happen.

Enid: Becoming Siddiq's trainee is an unexpected, interesting turn for the character, at a time when some wondered what she would do post-Carl. This is probably the best development for any of the regulars.

Ex-Saviors: Yeah, Arat expecting Rosita to trust her after cutting her face was rather naïve of her.

Jadis / Ann: A real romance with Father Gabriel...or something else? No matter which way that goes, their going to the next level was a pleasant turn.

I take it her reaction to the helicopter meant it was one of hers...

NOTES:
    Maggie--
    As mentioned above, she thawed, and almost questioned her own judgement in the Gregory case, but she's correct in that some cannot be redeemed. Referencing Hershel should have reminded Michonne about how true Maggie's opinion is, but then again, that's the heart of the conflict--both sides have valid points, but there's no way they can form one, cohesive government from that.