The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I wouldn't call Merle a coward. He did serve in the military prior to the plaque.

2. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Merle is a coward, because he does what is easy, not what is right, or even smart.

3. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

You can be physically brave and still be a moral coward.

4. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

The guys on Talking Dead called Milton "Smithers" and I'm still laughing about it!
    :lol: so true!

5. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Exxxxxcellent.

6. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Right & Right, & that's what he is

7. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Merle is the classic example of The Scorpion and the Frog. A scorpion asking a frog to carry him across a river. The frog is afraid of being stung during the trip, but the scorpion argues that if it stung the frog, the frog would sink and the scorpion would drown. The frog agrees and begins carrying the scorpion, but midway across the river the scorpion does indeed sting the frog, dooming them both. When asked why, the scorpion explains that this is simply its nature. The fable is used to illustrate the view that the behaviour of some creatures, or of some people, is irrepressible, no matter how they are treated and no matter what the consequences.

8. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Just caught up on the last couple of episodes.

I'm liking Carol a lot more the past few episodes.

I'm glad they had Michionne actually speak rather than glare and grunt, given the preview for next week I hope she opens up more to Rick.

I forget - does Andrea know that the Governor was keeping heads in containers?

I loved when Andrea ran into Tyreese. I'm guessing in the final battle he'll realise that the Governor is psycho and join Rick (probably after he finds out the Governor tried to seduce Sasha, maybe that'll be the turning point for Andrea as well?)

I hope Maggie kills the Governor.

I'm glad Merle is back, he's such a wildcard and is just plain fun to watch. I don't think Daryl will die for a while.

9. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

But isn't moral cowardice sacrificing your values because you don't have the courage to defend them?

That's not what Merle is, he doesn't have those values to start with, as far as I can tell he doesn't really care about other people or what is "right" at all.

10. Alpha Romeo

Alpha Romeo Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. She specifically addresses it with him in the infirmary. He responded that he needed to prepare himself for the harsh realities of the world or some other BS.

11. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Commander Chakotay says it was a fox: ;)

Voyager episode - Scorpion

12. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Ahhh okay thanks. You'd think that would be enough to convince her!

13. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Even if he's immoral, he's a coward for not doing what's smart and hard, and instead doing what's easy.

When he was chasing Michonne down, the smart thing to do would be to make sure she was killed, either by himself or by zombies. He let her go and assumed that zombies would catch her, and decided to lie to the Governor about the incident. He did the stupid thing instead of the smart thing, and then he lied about it. That's cowardice.

14. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

IIRC, Andrea walked in right before or after Michonne broke his Aquarium

15. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Why didn't anyone tell Andrea what the Governor did to Maggie? It may have made her mind up about the Governor. The communication is horrible in the show.

16. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

Andrea may not have listened, but she did take a knife out as if to kill the Gov....that she listen about. Too bad she chickened out though.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  17. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

It's a very common parable, even Aesop wrote one called the Farmer and the Viper/Serpent.

18. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

There's really no excuse for anyone not stepping up to tell Andrea all they know. But, the plot needs to keep Andrea on the governor's side (or let the audience believe that) long enough for the inevitable war between Woodbury and the prison where she will be forced to make a stand.

19. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, I'm not entirely sure how the phrase is defined, but by how you've defined it, then you have a point. My only point is that Merle is not a just or righteous man, & I really have a hard time seeing him ever becoming one, unless it was maybe a sacrifice to save Daryl

Would he die for Daryl? Maybe, but there isn't one other person alive he'd ever bother to stick his neck out for, lend aid to, or even abstain from victimizing. Ultimately, no one is safe around him, because he is untrustworthy & malicious, & I call him cowardly because of his recent actions

1. He told the Governor that the prison was unclaimable, likely because he didn't want to risk having to clear it out for the community

2. He would not risk going after Michonne, because he knew he was at a disadvantage against her, even with the last man still on his team. He would rather murder that man than face her

3. He would not tell the Governor that he didn't kill Michonne, because he either feared the repercussion or feared he'd be sent back to find her, or both

4. His immediate reaction to finding Daryl was to try undermining his relationship with the group because he fears their opinions have more value to Daryl than his now

5. He would rather return to a group of people who he tried to kill or left him for dead, than face survival without Daryl, not because of his relationship with Daryl, but because Daryl is the only person left who he can depend on

6. Most importantly, he left an abusive father behind & never attempted to do anything to prevent the same abuse happening to his little brother. He'd rather serve in the military than risk dealing with that

Merle is a textbook coward hiding behind a rugged exterior, & a ruthless demeanor

Daryl: "I may be the one walking away, but you're the one leaving... again"

20. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

All true, but people can grow. Merle might not ever become a just and righteous man, but it's still possible for him to learn a few things.

It will be interesting to see if he goes that route, or if he remains in "scorpion" mode. Either is possible.