The Vulcan mind meld. Star Trek Into Darkness Question

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Gingerbread Demon, Sep 27, 2016.

1. locutus101

locutus101 Vice Admiral Rear Admiral

Why isn't it possible that he gave consent telepathically at the very beginning of the mind meld?

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

:whistle:

fireproof78 and Kor like this.
  3. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

M'Sharak already told you to stop with the aggressive and dismissive comments about rape and then this is the way you respond when someone tells you they are a survivor of sexual assault? Infraction for trolling. Comments to PM.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Who are you talking to? :confused:

5. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Rape is as much a violent act as it is a sexual act. Spock violently invaded Valeris' mind, against her will. She did NOT look comfortable as this was happening either. It was a forced entry into her mind. I can see that being a mental rape. Rape does not have to solely mean a penis in a vagina (or elsewhere) in this fictional reality where people can invade others' minds.

So not speaking of it before makes the comment invalid? I pointed out why I considered his actions to be mind rape. You may not agree, but my opinion of a fictional event is as valid as anyone's else.

As for the rest of your twaddle, that's pure silliness. Since you disagree with me, you're going to mock me by misusing the term. I suppose you believe that it's cute to turn my (perceived) misuse of the term against me. It isn't. It merely points out that you can't even argue it logically and since you can't, you want to laugh at me/make others laugh at me.

Of course the "is rape trivial" to me IS trolling, although I'm a big girl and can handle such absurd behavior by just playing it straight. Plus it's vastly insulting to a female, moreover one who just admitted a background of abuse, to say such.

[Redacted] I wasn't offended (takes a lot to get over my radar), I'm very mildly amused and more strongly saddened at such a petty attack.

At any rate, it didn't make me change my mind. It was an ugly scene (in that movie) that was very disturbing and if the author of the novelization knew of the scene ahead of time (which surely must have been the case given how it was written - it suggested direct knowledge of the movie scene), then that author should be ashamed of trivializing/denying the ugliness with that horrible way it was rewritten to suggest that the mind rape was something that the victim enabled. And bear in mind I couldn't stand Valeris.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2016
  6. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I just feel that, without hearing the author's perspective on the matter, or from anyone who would be in a position to comment on the situation as it existed at the time, we should assume good faith with regards to their intentions and "what did they know and when did they know it".
    This is somewhat making me want to locate my copy of the novelization, but I doubt that'll happen anytime soon.

7. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Not you.

Please have a seat, and take to PM any comments you may have concerning a moderator action. You know the drill.

8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which novel? I do know that Nimoy commented on the ST6 scene with Valeris in his "I am Spock" book. I can try to find the relevant quotes if you like.

9. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Why doesn't anyone ever compare the actions of Lwaxana Troi to rape? She is also rummaging around in minds, so it too is a violation. Do we only condemn the mental link if one of the people who take part seem to be distressed for a time? If so, we're okay with Spock removing Kirk's memories without his knowledge or consent while he slept?

10. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

The TUC novelization. T'Bonz (not to put words in her mouth) initially claimed that the author did a disservice by portraying the Spock-Valeris meld as being ultimately consensual, while I think it's just that the author knew there would be a meld but quite possibly didn't know the specifics of how it would be portrayed onscreen. In other words, they weren't ducking the situation, they simply didn't know there was going to be a situation in the first place.

11. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Got it. See what I can find.

12. locutus101

I don't see why Valeris would have consented to the meld since it was against her interest to do so.

13. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To be honest, it did bug me that characters only ever seemed to find Lwaxana's invasions a mild annoyance. Especially as her abilities did seem to be selective, and she couldn't help opening her mouth and yapping about what she 'heard.' It stands out when characters like Tam (and even Troi herself) were given dressing downs about doing the exact same thing.

Mind, in TNG Lwaxana also avoided being seriously called out for being a sexual harasser in the 'normal' sense. So...it's really the usual failings of a lot of 'comedy' characters.

Spock erasing Kirk's memories was always shitty. 'Pain makes us who we are,' my ass.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

With Lwaxana I think it's meant to be a cultural thing, Betazoids are an open culture (they're into public nudity) and everyone is okay with sharing their thoughts and having their minds read by others as a matter of course.

Granted, Lwaxana spends enough time among non-Betazoids, was even married to one, that she should be more considerate when she's on the Enterprise, but then she is the batty aunt of TNG, so everyone just grins and bears it when she reads their minds.

15. locutus101

Or maybe she just can't help it.

16. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

She certainly should be able to stop herself from verbally saying what she read in others' minds though.

17. locutus101

She could be compulsive that way. You know like some sort of tourette's for example.

18. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Was it established that Lwaxana actually actively probes others' minds or is it a passive process, like noticing people's size and shape and all in passing?

19. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Can't remember if was just from the novels or raised on screen that Lwaxana is a very formidable telepath so it could be that she can't really control but as mentioned above perhaps a she should learn to filter what she says).

20. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Except later (esp. in her Ds9 appearances), she's perfectly capable of dialing it the fuck down. Even after getting her space-alzheimers-menopause-thing.

In the end, Lwaxana was meant to be like Mudd and Neelix - she pulled irritating shit because she was just that obnoxious and oblivious (yet also funny and likeable.) Whether that characterisation works is a matter of personal opinion.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016