The Volcano Problem

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Franklin, Dec 18, 2012.

1. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Out of all the crap in Insurrection that's what sunk it for you?

2. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I just read from on article from trek movie that the people at bad robat have assured them that there is logical reason for enterprise being under water. So I hope that help people feel better about the whole enterprise underwater thing it sure helped calm my fears.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They also said that although they have a reason for everything they do, they won't all be told in the movie since Trekkies are so good at coming up with their own justifications.:rommie:

4. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Case in point. How can holodecks have more people in them than physically exists visually in the space itself?

Trek fan explination - magical invisible treadmills that allow people to have the illusion they are walking but they are not. Computer controlled artificial walls that fool the visitor to turn in one direction or another. ad nausea.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Everything that happened in the film hinged on Data finding a cloaked spaceship with transporters in a lake.

6. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very True.

If I wanted to be nit-picky, I could certainly be put off by the inconsistencies created by the holodeck.
    However, I'm not nit-picky, and the inconsistencies don't bother me; I just go with it.

7. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

If I wanted to criticize holodecks, it wouldn't be for how the technology purportedly works. I'd instead gripe about how their presented uses often contributed so little to the overall Star Trek milieu. It brought forth interesting stories on occasion, but a lot of the time it was a cheap excuse to get people off the ship sets, or worse, set up totally bogus and nonsensical drama. Voyager was the worst offender here, but TNG and DS9 had their own flirtations with holodeck hogwash, too. We have ships that can travel all over the galaxy, with weird and wondrous planets to behold and explore... and we get shows about people fucking about with glorified video games. Yawn.

That's what I would say if I wanted to criticize holodecks. ;)

8. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can only think of a couple of reasons why they are choosing to hide the Enterprise underwater. It's possible they are trying to remain undiscovered by someone other than the spear-chucking natives. There could be a more advanced civilization on the planet that does have the capability to detect a starship in orbit, or Nibiru could be in disputed territory between the Federation and the Klingon Empire.

9. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Well I was having real issues with them hiding the enterprise underwater when they would be better off in space until I remembered the Insurrection scene and remembered that the Insurrection holoship underwater never bothered me so I guess this doesn't either :) (It was cool!!!)

What DID bother me about the underwater holoship in insurrection is that the waterline does not appear to change and the holoship is clearly above the original waterline... Picard etc are at the shore and though the lake is emptied of at least 10 metres of water... the shoreline etc stays the same. That bothered me more than the why it was there .. hm

Star Trek rarely makes sense !!!