The unofficial Rock Band thread.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Aragorn, May 30, 2008.

1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Downloads for the week of July 5:

GREEN DAY PACK
    Green Day “21 Guns”
    Green Day “East Jesus Nowhere”
    Green Day “Know Your Enemy”

MAYHEM PACK
    Behemoth “Conquer All”
    Black Dahlia Murder “What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse”
    Cannibal Corpse “Hammer Smashed Face”
    God Forbid “Empire of the Gun”
    Job for a Cowboy “Embedded”
    Marilyn Manson “Disposable Teens”
    Slayer “Black Magic”
    Whitechapel “This Is Exile”

2. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't heard any of those Green Day songs... they from the new album?

3. Aragorn

They are indeed from the new album. Sort of like how all Rock Band has from Guns 'n' Roses is the Chinese Democracy album.

4. Aragorn

The release when the tracks were first announced said that they'd be exclusive to the track pack disc for a period of time before becoming available for DLC.

5. Aragorn

Downloads for the week of July 12:

BIG DIPPER PACK
    Big Dipper “All Going Out Together”
    Big Dipper “She’s Fetching”
    Big Dipper “Younger Bums”

JUDAS PRIEST PACK
    Judas Priest “Dissident Aggressor (Live)”
    Judas Priest “Eat Me Alive (Live)”
    Judas Priest “Prophecy (Live)”

THE DEAD WEATHER PACK
    The Dead Weather “Hang You From the Heavens”
    The Dead Weather “No Hassle Night”
    The Dead Weather “Treat Me Like Your Mother”

6. Brikar99

Hm. Looks like another nothing week for me. I like Judas Priest... but I just can't seem to enjoy playing their stuff.

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Yeah, Rock Band's DLC has been a bit disappointing of late.

8. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Judas Priest pack was fun enough on guitar. The two harder songs in the pack seem too highly tiered, and I get the feeling that I could probably FC 2 of the songs without that much effort. Whereas a lot of the Screaming for Vengeance solos tiered lower are pretty impossible.

Now getting to the Priest pack on my Xbox 360 was another story! I go to buy it, but I'm short on points. Ok, fine, I click add more, it says no, credit card rejected. I figure, oh, my card expired, simple enough. I look around, no edit button, so I go to add a new credit card. Type in all my information, which is absurd on a guitar controller btw, after i put it in my address, credit card number, etc... I click ok, and boom 'can't add card, card already exists'.

I figure there must be an edit button if I back out of the game and into the dashboard, rather than use the little mini inside game version. So I go to find the pack in the marketplace, I see it listed under content somewhere, click specifically on the Judas Priest pack and it takes me to a generic Rock Band DLC page where it's trying to shove Green Day on my throat. I have to click all DLC again and sort by date to get to the thing I actually want. Anyway, still no edit button there on my payment page.

So fuck it, I go on the xbox live website, sure enough THERE I have the ability to edit my card info. Pop in the new expiration date and security code, and it lets me buy my points. So long as I was there I figured I would buy the Judas Priest pack on the website. I click buy, it says it's been added to my queue. It just says pending, never goes anywhere even though my xbox is on live, and sitting at the dashboard. I go to Rock Band, no songs, I go back to the Music Store and click Download Again, no can do, it's already in the queue! I go to my download queue, delete it, head back to the Music Store, click download again and FINALLY the thing downloads.

Oh, and while was on the xbox live website I decided to investigate my Xbox Live status since I signed up for a XBL, 1 month for 1 dollar a few weeks ago. Sure enough I see that the dreaded autorenew is on for my account, and in a few days I'd be starting my 8 dollar monthly recurring charge. Of course there's no obvious way to cancel so I use their stupid computer intelligence interactive help thing, which tells me that to cancel I have to call... for my protection.

What the fuck? How does it protect me that I can't cancel online? When I can buy everything online? So great, now if someone steals my xbox they can rack up thousands of dollars of fraudulent charges on my account, but they can't cancel my Live Gold autorenew. Thank God for that. I'm so glad they lost the ability to cause a minor inconvenience. So I call Xbox support, sit through their ridiculously long recorded messages and finally get a real person, who proceeds to ask me more questions than a car loan application in order to confirm my identity to turn off autorenew.

What the hell is up with this crap? I know making it hard to cancel is pretty standard corporate douchebaggery, where the hell is Congress on this? Why don't they ban such obviously absurd predatory billing practices with some common sense legislation? It's simple, if you can buy or renew a service online you should be able to cancel it online, and you should be able to select if you want the service to renew both when you signup, and whenever the hell you want through the same damned channel!

With all the bullshit it took me probably two hours to play my fucking Judas Priest songs.

9. Yoda

^As soon as I finish editing my rant, I go to stand up. I'm still wearing my guitar controller on its strap. As I finish rising, the strap pops off one of the pegs. This sends it into a swing and a split second later into a free fall. The falling rotating body of the guitar controller proceeds to punt my Cherry Coke Zero can halfway across the table spilling everywhere. FUCK!

I posted a rant in misc about KFC last week where after composing a response I knocked over a can of Cherry Coke Zero on my computer desk, also spilling everywhere.

In conclusion, next time I rant, I should just stay thirsty until I am done. I can't have nice things!

10. Aragorn

You can't cancel online because then they won't have a chance to talk you out of it.

You should never give Xbox Live your credit card because of what they do with it. Buying the Gold Cards and Points Cards are the best way to go because they're finite and sometimes you can buy them for less than cost.

11. Yoda

^I do like to buy the cards, I'm sitting on a 13 month live card i bought a while back until I feel like I'm actually going to be doing a lot of online gaming. I bought probably a dozen 1600 ms point cards from places selling them for 15 bucks (mostly Target). But every once in a while if I'm short on points and I want something, I want to just buy the thing without running to the store, which is part of the point when it comes to downloadable content!

I know Amazon has started selling codes for some games, it'd be nice if they'd sell Rock Band DLC, or maybe just points (without shipping the damned cards). Usually I can't stand adding extra middlemen, but maybe when dealing with Microsoft they're actually useful to protect you! :guffaw:

Edit: I guess they do sell points codes without shipping the card, here's hoping they have a good sale sometime.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  12. Brikar99

I hate to laugh at your misfortune, but the whole rant and then this post are filled with such amazing mental images that I just couldn't help it...

13. Yoda

Your mental images are almost assuredly accurate and laugh-worthy, and laughing at others' misfortunes is a god given right, so enjoy! :techman:

14. Aragorn

Downloads for the week of July 21:

KINGS OF LEON PACK
    Kings of Leon “Crawl”
    Kings of Leon “Molly’s Chambers”
    Kings of Leon “Sex on Fire”

RANCID PACK
    Rancid “Last One to Die”
    Rancid “Ruby Soho”
    Rancid “Time Bomb”

RISE AGAINST PACK
    Rise Against “Prayer of the Refugee”
    Rise Against “Re-Education (Through Labor)”
    Rise Against “Savior”

Lush “Sweetness & Light”

15. Yoda

No thanks.
    Will probably pick this up, Last One to Die doesn't sound great, but I've got nothing but nostalgia for the other two.
    Probably will pass, two of the songs are in my other guitar hero games. Prayer of the Refugee was ok. Re-Educatoin sucked, never heard Savior. Give It All was catchy enough, but the lyrics were more than a bit silly.
    I'll pass, I can't imagine this will be entertaining on guitar.

More important than the week's DLC though, how about http://creators.rockband.com/? I don't care about all the garage bands that are going to jump on this, but I do hope that a lot of my favorite acts use it as a way to get significant parts of their catalog into the game.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  16. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

Awesome, it looks like me spamming their website thing finally paid off!

17. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Gambler = next week. Awesome. :lol:

18. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

Ah, looks like an upcoming Penny Arcade comic...

19. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Hey Harmonix, can we have something a bit more interesting next week please ?

20. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sadly, they already did it when the track pack was first announced...