The truth about Discovery and the Prime universe.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Serveaux, Feb 13, 2017.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Sorry. But this is just a flat dumb question. Why use one, when I can clutter my desk with a dozen!

2. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

But why even bother when it isn't needed. Make up dates and species looking more alien than just humans in funny wigs and head pieces I can get behind. But there is zero reasons needed to update the TOS Constitution if that is the time period this series is to take place. It can already look really good on screen and that has been proven time and time again.

3. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

I would. For bigger projects it would "swipping" to change what I'm watching, especially if I have tons of projects going on. Oh, this is my cgi rendering tablet, this is my art tablet, this is my book tablet, etc.

4. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Good question. Answer: no one would, really.

5. Ithekro

We sometimes have as many as three Androids at work in one area for one or two people. Each does the exact same number of programs, but one usually is setup to scan items into the inventory, while another is set to print from a mobile printer, while the third is set to identify other items for ordering from the inventory.

6. Serveaux

Yeah...so you're saying that having maybe three devices in a work area for two people explains people having these things piled like open books on their desks in TNG?

Nope.

BillJ likes this.
  7. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

That would be mind boggling but it is a total straw man. Nobody is saying that the tech needs to look like 2017 tech, it needs to look like futuristic tech from the perspective of 2017, rather than 1969. To take into account half a century of advancement and change in technological, social and historical position. Surely this is self evident in a show set centuries in the future?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  8. Serveaux

One would think.

9. Ithekro

Work on a table still needs to look like for the audience to believe the person is having too much work. Thus a half dozen PADDs on the desk and shuffling though them. Or having four devices that can all to the same things, but each being used for only one feature at a time instead of one device being used and switching between functions. If for no other reason is to make the person seem busy and overworked.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe if this was a time when people didn't have computers and tablets that can do a million things at once. Now all they would have to do is show someone on a device or computer with a million different windows open.
    ^Exactly. The way people imagine the future has changed a lot in 50 year, and the show really needs to reflect that if people want it to be taken seriously as a it's own thing.
    If this was purely a niche nostalgia kind of thing they might be able to get away it, kind of like with Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders, but it seems to me they want this to be a big prestige show that can compete with not only other network shows, but also the stuff being done by Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu.

I'm pretty sure they'd stick to the most basic shape, just enough to be recognizable in silhouette, but that'll be about it.
    I really can't see things like the glowing parts at the end of the nacelles or the metal deflector sticking around, those elements are probably the most dated at this point. They didn't use them in 1979, and I can't see them going back to them now.

11. Serveaux

Is it necessary to rationalize every little anachronism and silly thing ever done on the shows in order to make them seem flawless in their realism somehow?

cardinal biggles and CRM-114 like this.
  12. Ithekro

No. I am pretty sure that is how the stage direction and writers intended to make those sorts of scenes feel.

13. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

*headdesk*

What the hell is futuristic? Why it cannot be retrofuturistic? I said that it is fine to tweak obviously outdated details. Just keep the overall aesthetic.

[​IMG]
    This is actual computer from 2013, using art deco aesthetic. Is it somehow silly, unrealistic? Would a sci-fi show with art deco aesthetic be unrealistic?

Similarly you can depict future tech with 60's aesthetic. I am not talking about faithfully recreating TOS look (or the Cage look, in this case) like many fan productions do. I am talking about maintaining the design style.

14. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

And does it whir, make grinding and beeping noises and print its output on paper after you flip the toggle switch? If so, you might have a point. Otherwise it's just a Wii painted orange.

Campe and Kemaiku like this.
  15. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

Exactly this!

Straw man. No one here suggested the things you mention. Aridas Sofia also showed how you can create something that can be 100% true to TOS visuals and yet show us something never seen before:

But I guess all these things need effort and imagination so they are very difficult to do.

16. Ithekro

Aside from spit out paper (that would still need a stylized printer, which if small enough could be integrated, but usually our printers are larger than this box) it can probably do all those other noises if programmed to do so.

Just so this doesn't go unremarked. 'Space Battleship Yamato 2199' could easily be viewed as the best remake ever made by any country. It keeps the essence of the original intact while also telling the story its own way. All while updating the style to reflect about 40 years of technological and stylistic improvements. And keeping up with cultural and historical knowledge accumulated in those 40 years that could change the premise of the story and how characters behave. We will see how they do with 'Space Battleship Yamato 2202' as that will be starting within the next two weeks.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you have that kind of tech, why even have buttons at all? Just have all controls be on a flat surface that can be reconfigured with a simple computer command. (Just like LCARS.)

I mean, if nothing else, it'd be a hell of a lot easier to film. Control panels that shapeshift like Odo would require a fair whack of CGI, but a LCARS-like surface can be done much easier.

18. Ithekro

Because some directors like physical buttons.

19. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

My own computer right now is a 23" 5K touchscreen, why on Earth would I watch a series set in 2255 to see a ship powered by 1950's rocket ship controls?

20. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't feel the Star Trek is not our future. I think it is (more than most TV show or films that purport to show our future) a portrayal of a future that is most like the sociology of our world today, with people who share our sensibilities and ways of thinking.

...That is to say, the people of Star Trek act more or less like the people of today. That may not be what the future actually holds for us, but it is extremely recognizable and comforting to see that the people of the future will be much like us.

Granted, it got a few historical facts wrong about the 1990s and latter 20th century, but that's all superficial stuff. Those "historical facts" that proved to be incorrect (e.g., the Eugenics Wars, etc.), or the "toggle switch" technology of TOS aren't important in the grand scheme of things.

No...Star Trek does in fact feel most like our future because the people are portrayed in a way that is most like our present.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    Nerys Myk likes this.