The Roddenberry Archive / OTOY

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 3, 2022.

1. Jules / OTOY

Jules / OTOY Lieutenant Premium Member

Thank you!

It was pretty magical for the team seeing this come together first in their respective screen tests earlier this year and then again seeing them perform together in character for the shoot a few weeks ago, which was used in the second teaser. We showed a few minutes of BTS videos from the August shoot at the ST:LV panels (the images on the blog are from those), one of these is here, which shows how we can move the camera in free space for the shots we capture "holographically" which is how we plan to adapt these scenes to holographic display panels made by Light Field Lab:

https://twitter.com/JulesUrbach/status/1563032303088979969

Will share more if I can.
    Jules

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
  2. Rekkert

Rekkert Fleet Captain Premium Member

@Maurice: oh I can't believe it, I was making a cheap joke; but actually no, if you actually read the X-Men shot it clearly says "Villa Gesell", which is the beach side little city from the "reality" photo, not just a generic "Argentina" location and nowhere near mountains (and far smaller than San Francisco in square miles)... Let's kill this little tangent here because it's gotten pretty stupid at this point, that's what I get for assuming people read

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Did you expect me to Google it? I thought it was a fictional name.

But, yes, tangent dropped.

4. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This looks so amazing. A virtual Enterprise refit? Yes please! And what a stroke of genius with the actors. It's astonishing. Well done everybody!

5. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yow! Talk about Serenzippity! Maurice and today’s Zippy are on the same comics page. “Surely th’ San Francisco of 1974 will never change!” says the world’s favorite pinhead. :D

https://safr.kingfeatures.com/api/img.php?e=gif&s=c&file=WmlwcHl0aGVQaW5oZWFkLzIwMjIvMDgvWmlwcHlfdGhlX1BpbmhlYWQuMjAyMjA4MzBfMTUzNi5naWY=&fbclid=IwAR3Yp_xISePBmJZ492rJSuXreTrbUxc1WMbkQpD86k-y1xWDvNhOXKEU0zo

I love the OTOY/RA work. Hopefully it will influence future portrayals of the Trekverse and re-infuse it with much needed Roddenberry-ness.

6. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Apologies if this was covered already, but has anyone decoded the “765874” title yet? The number looks maddeningly familiar, so if this is something any good Trekkie should have instantly recognized, do step right up and be the first to publicly shame me with the blazingly obvious answer. :ack: :D

7. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I googled it, and it's apparently Colt's service number from a non-canon source. I don't think Memory Beta cited it, but my guess is it comes from the Early Voyages comic.

8. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Damn that's obscure. Although I find it interesting and cool that official or quasi-official productions are more heavily drawing from the fandom well for small tidbits like that, all the way up to Star Trek Online CG models being used on-screen for fleet operations.

9. Jules / OTOY

T
    That was Dave Blass’ call. As he explained it to me, it was helpful for them going into PIC S2 to quickly expand on the variety of ships beyond what they could show at the end of S1.

In the RA, we can cover continuities/realities outside the classic TV/movie timeline, when they are either from Gene’s own explorations like “Star Trek Is…”, Phase II, POT, TGT, or are otherwise historically interesting in the case of many novels and other published works that contributed to the larger mythos (e.g. Sulu’s first name)

10. Jules / OTOY

11. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

12. 137th Gebirg

The likenesses really are uncanny. How long did it take them to find these people, I wonder?

13. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I almost audibly gasped when I saw those depictions of Lt. Arex and the photo-realistic recreation of the animated series bridge! :eek: Alas, I was ever so slightly disappointed there was no equivalent images for Lt. M'Ress. :( However, I realize that rendering convincing, believable fur is still a major hurdle, so I can sympathize her omission. Still bummed, but I understand. :shrug:

14. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

15. Jules / OTOY

Alex Ross and I talked about Mahé’s resemblance to Colt as far back as 2019, which is the earliest I can remember having that discussion. The search for Spock started middle of last year, and we locked in Lawrence several months before the shoot, after he blew us away with the V’ger weeps line in his screen test - which we did end up filming later with makeup and costume on set :

https://twitter.com/julesurbach/status/1566032203083001858

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
  16. 137th Gebirg

Brilliant casting. Absolutely brilliant.

17. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

I said it on Twitter and it bears repeating here: I have run out of adjectives. Astounding is no longer sufficient… this is astonishing.

18. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

This ranks right up there with the young man who resembles Robin Williams:

Spock meets Mork would be something…

TrekMD and 137th Gebirg like this.
  19. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Not to be a stick-in-the-mud, but I guess the actual proof will be in the acting (assuming whatever this ends up being includes actual scenes of dialog). Lawrence Selleck certainly looks the part and it's freakishly uncanny, but I guess some of that magic will be lost once he opens his mouth and doesn't bring the necessary acting chops. I'd love to be surprised, but I guess it's almost impossible to find someone who looks that much like Nimoy and brings comparable acting skills. That said, getting the look that right is certainly an incredible achievement in itself. :)

137th Gebirg likes this.
  20. 137th Gebirg

I was thinking the same thing as well. How could someone be such a dead ringer and also be able to mimic Nimoy’s acting style? When Jules mentioned how Lawrence did so well for the screen test, I have high hopes. I don’t think I’ve been this stoked to see a new Trek production to this degree in a long time.

Question: Will a modulated Nimoy voice be digitally mapped over Lawrence’s for any dialogue or does he also have a similar voice pattern? The latter would be even more astonishing.