News The Return of 90s Television: Murphy Brown is coming back, too. What show will return next?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by The Nth Doctor, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hell. Yes. :techman:

2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, it should. It would actually be perfectly suited to the current political climate. Would love to see them tackle current issues.

I'd love to see a Frasier/Cheers reunion at some point. I know the actor who played Frasier's Dad passed away, but everyone else is alive, I think. And rather than just contain it to Frasier, throwing in the cast of Cheers would work also.

Random_Spock likes this.
  3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll try to find the article for you, but Fraiser will never return. There was talk of doing a third show with the character a few years after Frasier ended but they decided against it because the creator of the show died on 9-11 and didn't feel right without him.

https://tvline.com/2017/08/10/frasier-revival-nbc-kelsey-grammer-cast/

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  4. acappellasaurus

acappellasaurus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would not mind seeing a new incarnation of Knight Rider...I know they tried a few times with no success, but what if it was done ala "Cobra Kai"? Get Hasselhoff back in there as Michael Knight, an aging hero stuck in a 1980's mentality that...what? Reconnects with a young, tech savvy relative of Bonnie, or Devon, who heard the stories told of the Foundation, and works to bring Michael into the modern era, using a fresh-outta-storage KITT or a KITT update to bring back the fight for the midwestern everyman? Incorporate a humor aspect of Michael never having really progressed with the technological times after the Foundation went into mothballs? Maybe this could be viewable? Cobra Kai has sure been a fun one to watch.

5. Owain Taggart

Darn, that's too bad. Because those two series are two I could see them bringing back without them feeling out of place.

6. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

Now it looks like the continuation/reboot of Mad About You isn't happening - at least, in the near future. It sounds like the corporate end of things is the hold-up - Sony and others involved at that level.

7. bigdaddy

Thank god.

8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Damn, that's too bad. I was actually looking forward to that revival. Still, if I had to choose between it and Murphy Brown, I would choose Murphy Brown, especially with today's political climate.

9. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Too bad. This was a show I consistently liked. Good chemistry with the cast, and I really enjoyed the writing. Especially the way it focused on the little things in a relationship.

10. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

11. bigdaddy

It was more the writers were against Frasier returning. Kelsey Grammer to me seems a bit like a prick. The show ended, he seemed happy enough and now every few years since he talks about returning because his career has stalled. I wouldn't take any stock in anything in that clickbait article.

Random_Spock likes this.
  12. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah. Good point on that. Honestly, I wouldn't even watch it if it did return... since I found out that he's a tea partier. Hard pass there.

13. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Also, it specifically says that Grammer is looking to he create the show in another setting with new characters, so not really a Frasier revival aside from the title character. Just as much as Frasier was a revival of Cheers.

14. Owain Taggart

I'd be in for it if it were more like a reunion miniseries where he rents an apartment in a city and has his former co-stars drop by.

15. bigdaddy

I love Frasier, it and the first 4 seasons of Roseanne I rewatch every winter because winter sucks. But Roseanne ended poorly so the revival was great. Will and Grace ended poorly so the revival was welcomed (but they really should only make 10-13 episodes a year.). Frasier though ended well, it had a nice ending. There is no need for the character to return.

However I did hear the best idea for a show. Frasier is getting old and has to move in with Fredrick after Laura Linney's character suddenly died. Pretty much he is now his dad.

16. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cheers ended well too, but we're all glad that we got 11 seasons of Frasier to follow it. I agree that we don't need a direct continuation, but if "New Frasier" is as different to "Frasier" as "Frasier" was to "Cheers" then I'm all for it.

17. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

As long as they get David Hyde Pierce onboard, then I'm all for it. Casting him as Niles was one of the most brilliant decisions in television history.

18. bigdaddy

I don't know why they never did a spinoff with him, he was the reason everyone was watching.

I do love how Frasier address that on Cheers Frasier's dad was dead and never mentioned a brother. Frasier was just upset with them. :lol:

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  19. Owain Taggart

Agreed. I loved the bitter rivalry between Niles and Frasier. Some really classic scenarios came out of that.

20. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

While David Hyde-Pierce was brilliant as Niles, I'm not sure the charactor him self would work as a series lead. He's better as a foil though can definately carry a scene by himself (such as the recently linked attempt to iron his trousers).