The Prime Alternative

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by MadMan1701A, May 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

So is the viewscreen a window? Actually I'm very curious as to what the innards look like.

2. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Commodore

We did talk about doing that, since I like the idea so much on the newer rebooted ships, but we decided it would be too much of a departure from the original.

What we did add was the lights/spotlights that the Refit Enterprise has under the bridge, in that location.

One day, we might design a bridge to go with the ship... that was something else we talked about a while back. :)

-Ricky

3. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

I would love to see this ship do the Nibiru launch and then do the title sequence of STiD.
    That would be epic.

EDIT: By the way, how big is this one? 300, 750, a million meters? Haha!

4. MadMan1701A

That would look pretty cool. :)

It's the same size as the TOS Enterprise, though. Can't be more specific than that... :D

-Ricky

5. 1701TPA

1701TPA Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks :) ...let us know which wallpaper gets your desktop pick ;)

[​IMG]

ALL Prime Alternative ORTHOS, WALLPAPERS, VIDEOS >
    http://madshipyard.com/ThePrimeAlternative/index.htm

6. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

That reminds me of a video somebody pointed me to not long ago... (I'd mute the sound though...)

http://vimeo.com/12023417

7. MadMan1701A

I like that... but wish they had gone even farther with the updating! Of course, the bridge from ST6 is my favorite from the TOS movies, so I wouldn't mind imagining that it always looked like that, all the way back to the series. :)

-Ricky

8. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I know I said this before but I feel the paneling on the hull should be a bit more three-dimensional.

Otherwise this is a perfect fan design.

9. 1701TPA

Thanks for that high praise :) ...on the 1/350 scale SFX physical model, the planting on the Primary Hull will be a bit more obvious-- But remember, our objective here was to create hull plating and panel line design that "could have been the predecessor" to the TMP Refit's aztec design....And, I think Ricky Hit it Out of the Park on this!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  10. 1701TPA

11. FatherRob

FatherRob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very nice work... there is one technical issue I was wondering if you could address, and then I have two thoughts to share:

On the underside of the primary hull, the spotlights just seem wrong. They seem to start from behind the light-source. Is there something I am missing to explain why the lighting seems to start a few feet closer to the center of the saucer than the light-sources would suggest?

As far as aesthetics:

Having the three portholes forward on the bow seems out of place given the otherwise TMP era placement of windows. That somewhat stands in my way of appreciating the bow views as much as I might otherwise.

I personally find the fan blades too jarring. I prefer a clouded bussard... or the version found on Enterprise NX-01... gives the appearance of a reactive torrid as opposed to some big mechanical structure that seems to serve no useful purpose.

Those are my perspectives on this ship, which I find to be an amazing work of art. I'll be super excited to see the physical model.

Rob+

12. 1701TPA

Hi Rob... Thank you very much for all your kind words...
    Since you raised several issues regarding the design concepts that went into this build... I believe they may all be answered by your review of this posting(s) about the Design Concepts:

1701 Prime Alternative

>http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=51475

>[SIZE=2] CLASS-F SHUTTLECRAFT GALILEO by The Prime Alternative[/SIZE]

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=50717

Please let us know what you think following your review...
    -Rick

ALL Prime Alternative ORTHOS, WALLPAPERS, VIDEOS LINK HERE
    http://madshipyard.com/ThePrimeAlternative/index.htm

13. MadMan1701A

Hi Rob,

Yeah, I think every one of the spotlights is fudged, to get it to look the way that I wanted. :) The way the lamps work in the software isn't really the way that a real light would work... that's why most ships and things even on TV shows now have impossible looking lights; if the actual light sources were where all the bulbs are, they wouldn't give the nice fan patterns we are used to seeing on ships. That being said, the lights are overlapping my physical lightbulbs, which should be impossible. I hadn't noticed that, until now. :D

I think that on the model for TMP, they used external lights and dental mirrors to light up the spots they wanted, for the same kind of reason.

As far as the Nacelle Domes go, some people like the clear ones with parts inside, some don't. :) I think the ones on the physical model are going to look great though... I can't wait to see them. :)

Thanks for taking a look, and I'm glad you like it. :)

-Ricky

14. Jadin

Jadin Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Your project is fantastic!

15. 1701TPA

[​IMG]

16. 1701TPA

17. Sarvek

Sarvek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One word, Awesome! :techman::techman:

18. 1701TPA

19. 1701TPA

20. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is a great job at re-rendering the original USS Enterprise, just like deg3D and Vektor did years ago. Any of your three variants would have been a proud movie version of the Enterprise that truly retained the spirit of the original with the details modern audiences would have wanted, and could plausibly be refitted into the original Motion Picture version of the ship. Please keep up the great work!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.