The Prime Alternative

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by MadMan1701A, May 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Commodore

Hey guys...

A few of you might remember a couple of years ago, (Almost 3 now!) when I had just about disappeared from the site. I was working on my first commissioned project, which led to all kinds of good things. :)

My now good friend Rick Carthew contacted me back in 2010, wanting me to build a 3D mock up of his ideal version of the Enterprise. He was going to have a Studio Quality built to display, but wasn't exactly sure what it would look like. It took 6 months, but we got it finished, and ended up doing a shuttle and drydock too. :)

The physical model is currently being built... much of it by 3D printing my 3D parts. It's really neat to see parts I've been looking at on the screen forever become real. :)

We were going to wait until the model was finished to release any pictures, but we decided to go ahead and do it now. In the latest Into Darkness Sulu clip, we see a newer Design shuttlecraft that looks an awful lot like the one we did for this project. :)

[​IMG]

After I finished the 3D model, We ended up making several videos, and a bunch of wallpaper, that I have been dying to show you guys. As a teaser, here is a sample of the kind of stuff I've been doing with it:

[​IMG]

I've got a bunch of stuff up now at http://madshipyard.com/ThePrimeAlternative/ ... you guys go take a look and tell me what you think. :)

Later, guys...

-Ricky

2. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

Wow, just, wow... Very nice take on the E and the shuttle. Loved the stuff on your site. Similar to what deg had done, you and your partner's vision is a very fresh take on the classic design. Love it! (insert standard rant on how JJ should have done similar for the NuMovie Enterprise here)

*green with envy*

Q2

3. spiff628

spiff628 Ensign Red Shirt

Awesome!! Madman you work is fantastic.. You don't mess with the original unless the original is what you have in mind....TOS is the best..

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Epic stuff :D

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Very nice combination on the shuttle.

6. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

That is about the best shuttle ever!

7. shipfisher

shipfisher Commander Red Shirt

Just had to "De-Lurk" to say great stuff here MadMan.

8. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Once again, proof that anyone who truly believes that the original design couldn't be brought up to big-screen, high-definition 'snuff' is just plain wrong :bolian:. Nice work!

9. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

Loving the shuttle !!!

10. MadMan1701A

Thanks for all the compliments, guys! I'm glad the shuttle is such a bit hit. :)

I forgot to mention that along with the Enterprise model, they're going to be building a 12'' model of the shuttle as well, with spinning blades in the nacelles and everything. I can't wait to see it. :)

-Ricky

11. The Librarian

The Librarian Commodore Commodore

Awesome work, as always. I especially like the dry dock with the Regula/ space office-style modules off to the side.

12. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Great stuff! You've updated the TOS look without losing the TOS look!

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

It would be cool to take this Enterprise model and make it as high res as the Abramsprise model.

14. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great work there really enjoying the orthos of the ship :techman::techman::techman::techman::techman:

15. Sarvek

Sarvek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Fantastic work all the way around. Awesome tribute to what we all love. Everything is all fantastic. :techman::techman:

16. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Awesome Shuttle!

As always, Madman1701A - your work is impeccable!

:)

17. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cool shuttle! Interesting idea on the bussards, with that clamshell cover that opens, I assume, only for warp flight. :techman:

18. MadMan1701A

Thanks guys!

Yeah, one day I might re-build it, but I'm really happy with the way it looks. Back in early 2010 when I started building the model, I hadn't figured out subdivision modeling yet, so everything on this one was box modeled. :)

Yep, you're right. :)

I have a couple of videos I'll work on posting for you guys... I have a movie trailer, and an opening credits sequence that I put together out of test footage.

Later,

-Ricky

19. MadMan1701A

Me again... videos are up. :)

http://www.madshipyard.com/ThePrimeAlternative/theship.htm

They look pretty good... Vimeo didn't chop them down too much. My favorite is the middle one, where you can watch the model just spin around forever. :)

I did these just for fun... The 3D showcase one was basically a test of the specular textures and the navigation lights, but turned out so cool I had to finish it. The TV Intro one is just a bunch of test clips that I made, edited together.

Later guys,

-Ricky

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like it, but it wouldn't work in a modern movie. No matter what one does to the TOS ship, it's too simply functional and dated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.