Spoilers The Predator- Review and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by thribs, Sep 12, 2018.

?

Rating?

1. A*

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. A-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. B+

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  5. B

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  9. D

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  10. F

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hyperbole! Brando had 8 minutes of screen time and was a huge star.

Skerrit takes the lead through the first segment of the movie and is in charge through the second. It's only in the third segment where Ripley takes the lead. She's on par with Dallas but I would not say it's a female led movie just because she happens to be alive at the end. They're equal.

2. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gave it a B+, I enjoyed it, though threw the gapping plot holes all over the place, seen the Preadators in Tanks of a deleted scene.. so, what we got was probably better than what was going to happen
    That, and why did Fox spend $200 million on a predator movie?? I mean, All of the predator movies have Earned a max of $200 million.. so you spend less than $100 million on the film itself.. That didn't make any sense to me. I mean, you know its proabably going to make X, so you spend money to make a profit at X.. if you make more, gravy!

Yeah, I also got that Independence day: Resurgence ending vibe.. We HAVE to make a franchise out of it! .. ugh

3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

They didn't.

crookeddy likes this.
  4. Phil123

Phil123 Commander Red Shirt

I'd seen some bad reviews of this before I saw it, but they could not prepare me for the tone deaf nonsense to follow. The boom mic not being in shot is about the only good thing you can say about it. So disappointing. I love Predator.

Tosk and Starkers like this.
  5. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

looked it up, 88 million budget, plus promotions, so probably 100 million, my bad, still abit much for a predator movie.

6. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

The recent Ghostbusters was panned because they were rebooting a very popular movie and changing very popular characters. Replace Charlie's Angels with men and you would have gotten a similiar response. By the way, that Charlie Angels movie was also about women who kicked ass and it did very well at the box office and offended no one. Neither did Kill Bill nor Wonder Woman. You don't have to gender swap popular characters in order to get strong women on the big screen. Just make their characters interesting along with a good story. That Ghostbusters reboot was a piece of crap.Hence it's failure .

Predator has always been a franchise about men. There's nothing sexist about that.

7. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed Ghostbusters but I would have preferred a sequel even if women had remained as the central characters. I agree that a similar furore would have been raised if Charlie's Angels had been gender swapped but that's different because the whole concept is about them being women whereas Ghostbusters was about characters who just happened to be men.

I don't object to sexist humour in a comedy either but I do think that, where appropriate, actors AND actresses should be employed. Charlie's Angels has three female leads but the movies still feature more men than women. There is probably still a fair bit of sexist casting below the main leads.

Predator 1 featured a military team in a jungle. Military teams are overwhelmingly male, so I don't consider a movie of that type from that era to be sexistly cast. Thirty years later, modern storytellers might include a woman or two on the team. This is sci fi, not real life (most renowned biologists are not as hot as Olivia Munn either). I don't think it's right to say that, as a franchise, it's always been sexist and should continue to be so. Just make a few more cops, scientists, and federal agents women, and then give the actresses some lines. ;-p

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    ichab likes this.