The positive Voyager thread: What was good with the series?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Lynx, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

In that case, I don't much care for the way B'elanna treated her sister Seven...

Danja likes this.
  2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Delta Flyer cockpit was really badass and I loved the artsy window.

Although I must say that little flatscreen monitor at the front looks about as dated as Tom's bulky buttons and levers these days:lol:

Qonundrum likes this.
  3. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I never understood Torres attitude full of venom, towards Seven while they both shared so lot like the sense of abandonment and reject a moment in their respective lives/past.

4. Danja

Danja Commodore Commodore

How many Klingons have the Borg assimilated?

Seven can rub people the wrong way sometimes. She often carried herself like a Prussian General walking among the peasants.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  5. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

I always figured the constant friction between Torres and Seven was BECAUSE they are so alike. It happens a lot in real life.

Kilana2, Qonundrum and Danja like this.
  6. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

True but if I remember well, Torres is not left out when it comes to insulting,threatening and even hitting people when they hit her on the nerves, right?! It is precisely this behavior that has caused her problems at the level of sociability and which resulted in her being fired from Starfleet.
    Both (Torres and Seven) are impatient, uncompromising, control maniac when it's about their job and missions and can be very horrible with those surrounded them. The big difference is that Seven assumes openly her defaults because well, she just doesn't care of what others can think of her. She does not try to please others around, except the Captain. Indeed, it seems that both try their best to enter the good graces of the Captain. So frankly, they have more in common than they/we
    could think. :whistle:

Danja likes this.
  7. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Inevitable. Few people usually watch older media, not to mention silent movies and the like. Recordings do provide more value, within the context of playwrights and acting, when compared next to that dug up a three thousand year-old vase with pictures of people doing icky but alluring things drawn on them that has absolutely zero context, hence the value of stories like "Living Witness". :D But even then, looking at a 121 year-old film involving an astronomer wearing a dunce cap looking at the moon made of drippy cheese all day*, it's as intriguing as it is absurd but for reasons other than what the original filmmaker had likely in mind. Is it still fun? Depends if you're watching it from today's standards compared to 1898's or 1902's and who knows what they were on at the time, noting they sold cocaine for soft drinks and heroin as a pain reliever in pill form. (Makes ya wonder what led 'em to become illegal in the first place? There's a fun yarn to unravel! :D) That and the stratocaster sounds remarkably modern, as well as flippin' rules as a musical instrument, especially for sci-fi...

* it's a sad story, and - of course - the one made four years later where lots of people wearing dunce caps waddle around to make a spacecraft and frolic on the moon during its snow-filled winter, it's also asking if the writer was just writing anything for fun or if he fathomed the moon might not be habitable or was a giant cockroach egg or who knows what, but nobody knew all that much of outer space or the moon at the time... unlike even a scant number of decades later

8. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

It's funny but I just realized that the Torres seven relationship is a lot reminiscent of Carla and Diane's in "Cheers". The old classic that was so successful in its time. I mean you have Carla, constantly getting angry and hostile for no reason while Diane is rather stoic and indifferent in that regard. I mean some of the exchanges seem like they've been borrowed directly from that show with little to no changes.

at Quark's and Danja like this.
  9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

At least one, according to "Unimatrix Zero."

Danja likes this.
  10. Danja

Danja Commodore Commodore

Add to that aristocratic and intellectual ... Just like Seven.

Cheers and Voyager were both produced by Paramount.

That is NOT an outside possibility. :whistle:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Discofan likes this.
  11. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Torres usually explains why she's irritated with Seven. Seven will have disrupted power to something, or that one time she was recording B'elanna's mating rituals. Or sometimes, Seven is ..."rude."

12. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Well, I'm pretty sure that about the question of rudeness, Lt Joseph Carey and his colleagues from the engineers team could tell a lot about B'Elena Torres, especially when the latter was hysterical while under pression! :whistle:

About, Seven, she was teached by Borg to always to be in control, to be precise as well in her language (to the point of being often brittle with others) as in her activities (= efficiency at all costs) with the certainty to be superior to her surrounding (whatever they humans or aliens). She spent the first years on Voyager to keep practising both of these rules. But with time, she managed to change her habits in letting emotions and people entered in her life
    for better or for worse.

Danja likes this.
  13. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

That's my main reason for hating that insulting s**t episode in season 6 because the character they totally destroyed will be remembered as such and not even the Voyager book writers will have the guts to change that.

14. jmidnight_99

jmidnight_99 Captain Captain

Which one?

Danja likes this.
  15. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What I liked about Voyager was that it didn't take itself as seriously as TNG. While TNG had some good comedic moments, I doubt that episodes in the vein of Live Fast and Prosper or Author, Author would have been possible (whether that kind of humour caters to your tastes is of course again a different issue).

Another consequence of that was that Voyager dared to experiment a bit in storytelling. Perhaps not in a 'large' way such as in DS9, who abandoned the ship of exploration-concept and started serialised storytelling, but still. For example, I very much liked Muse with its attempt to blend elements of antique (Greek style) drama writing and its own storytelling (deliberately not touching the potential PD issues though. I'm sure Picard would have been a good deel less relaxed, had he found himself in that situation).

cosmic mouse and Prax like this.
  16. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

Another thing I liked about VOYAGER was the fact that the Delta Quadrant was different than the others.

What I mean by this is, especially in the first 3 seasons before they cross the Nekrit Expanse, Federation technology was a good deal more advanced.

Another thing was the Delta Quadrant was essentially a no alliance zone. The Alpha Quadrant has multiple organizations, most notably the Federation, that consist of various species each. Gamma Quadrant has the Dominion, and even though it's an alliance of subjugation, it's still many species under one banner. Pretty much all the Delta Quadrant races were just organizations comprising of only that species. It's a reason why "THE VOID" was such a good episode... it took the episode "ALLIANCES" from 5 years earlier a few steps further. (I always liked "ALLIANCES", even though I seem to be a minority to say that.)

Tracy Trek and Prax like this.
  17. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love Muse. It's like a meta-writer's room discussion.

18. Lynx

If I tell you that the character I'm referring to is Kes, then I guess that you will have no problems to figure out which "the insulting s**t episode inn season 6" is.

Farscape One wrote:
    I like "Alliances" too. One of the best episodes in the best season of all Star Trek.

19. jmidnight_99

jmidnight_99 Captain Captain

Then I agree. That episode was awful. You know that I think the Kes character was a weaker character. But that doesn't mean I think the character deserved that awful treatment.

Let's see... here's how it went: she's a stupid child, and can't control psionic abilities, so she has to be put off the ship, and years later she's a stupid child, and returns pissed off, wanting revenge for what Voyager "did to her".

This whole issue was a wasted opportunity to close the Ocampa/Susperia/Kes story. I had a plot I came up with:

When Kes left Voyager it should have been to take her abilities back to Ocampa to liberate her people, unify them with the off-world Ocampa and repair her world. The re-unified Ocampa could have used their re-awakend abilities to restore the planet, which had the unknown side effect of resuming their stalled evolution into non-corporeal beings, very closely tied to the planet. This evolution was originally interrupted when the Caretaker accidentally damaged the planet, which would explain why a race with those mental abilities "forgot" that they had them. Freed from her debt, Susperia returns home.

That would have validated Janeway's decisions, Kes' decisions, and closed the story line.

Lynx likes this.
  20. Lynx

In fact, your plot has some similarities to one I suggested as a replacement for the lousy "Endgame".

In the last two episodes of the series, Voyager once again confronts Suspiria who is about to finally destroy the ship. However, Kes is restored to normal from the "energy-being" thing by Q and returns in time to prevent Suspiria from destroying Voyager. Kes explains for Suspiria that Janeway tells the truth about The Caretaker's death. Suspiria seends Voyager home, Kes, now with a human life-span decides to follow Voyager to Earth and Suspiria goes back to the Ocampa station in order to correct some things and later on returns to Ocampa to restore the planet.

And yes, it's also revealed that the horrible creature we saw in that season 6 episode was Suspiria in disguise.

jmidnight_99 likes this.