THE ORVILLE, S2 E12: "SANCTUARY"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Serveaux, Mar 22, 2019.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's still a common promoting trick to say "X more episodes left this season" when coming up to the final few of the season. Off hand, Walking Dead does it every season. Plus, when they approach their mid-season breaks they'll say "X more episodes left for 20XX." You're reading something into nothing.
    Where'd you hear that? Wikipedia still shows Sanctuary airing on April 11 (a Thursday) and IMDB also has Sanctuary listed on April 11, with the remaining two episodes on the 18 and 25 respectively (those dates are also Thursdays). Orville Wiki also has the same dates, and a quick look at my Cable's TV Guide doesn't show any Orville listings on Monday. So, you're going to need to provide a source of where you saw this.

Regardless, in the event that it is true, I'm with Serveaux, making a schedule change at this late stage is basically the kiss of death for the show.

2. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

I apologize, this was a mistake on my part; I mis-read. There is no change in air days.

3. imdbrefugee

imdbrefugee Lieutenant Red Shirt

I really hope all of the Moclan stuff leads to something. You had lines earlier like Ed saying he wasn’t sure how much longer the union could tolerate such a prejudiced, backwards civilization. And if it was worth it or not in regards to their military assistance against the Krill.

I’m kind of Moclaned out.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  4. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Well, that's a relief.

E-DUB likes this.
  5. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not when Disney has both the entire Star Wars IP (doing two series with that IP) and the MCU (which they are also leveraging on their new streaming service) - so in the end, it's not like Disney is hurting for hugely marketable content.

KennyB likes this.
  6. tharpdevenport

Use the relief corner. ;-)

Jayson1, Nakita Akita and Admiral2 like this.
  7. Serveaux

Tomorrow...

Admiral2 likes this.
  8. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

9. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm glad that the show is finally coming back. it's been a long three weeks.

10. Serveaux

11. tharpdevenport

Rumor is "The Mandalorian" -- which hasn't even aired yet, is already on track for a second season, meanwhile, we still can't get dick about this show coming back for a third while we're two episodes away from it ending.

Deledrius likes this.
  12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Mandalorian is a Star Wars series, so it's not entirely a fair comparison.

13. Serveaux

Oh - guess we know what "sanctuary" is about.

14. Serveaux

Only on this show...

(9 to 5)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Ovation likes this.
  15. Serveaux

Go, Bortus!

16. Serveaux

Haveena's council speech was one of the clearest and best I've seen on this kind of show.

It continually amazes me how much story they do in an hour.

17. Brennyren

Brennyren Commodore Commodore

Another stunning episode -- a nail-biter, too. And in real-world fashion, the Moclan women got less than they were hoping for, but probably more than they expected. If the rest of Moclus now knows they exist, that all on its own could start some dramatic changes brewing on the home planet.

Wouldn't be surprised if Dolly Parton was tuned in tonight!

On another note, I can't help wondering how long Bortas and Klyden will remain together. They are too far apart on some very fundamental issues, and it's way too safe to assume that Klyden will not approve of Bortas's role in the fight on the colony world.

Deledrius likes this.
  18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

That was a very good, solid, episode that ended up going in a different direction than I expected from the opening/teaser. I was expecting the Moclans to have something more sinister going on, and to not really be Moclans, but it all played out very, very well.

Very good direction by Jonathon Frakes, though many aspects of it reminded me of ST: Insurrection, and Marina Sirtis! :luvlove:

I don't see how Bortus and Klyden and continue to stay together after all this. To, slightly, counter Bortus's criticisms of Klydens ship-board sociality, he did seem to be enjoying himself at the Kelly/Bortus joint-birthday party. But, Klyden is an ass, I think they need to look into... "non lethal" Moclan separation procedures.

Great use of [contemporary] music here with Parton's "9 to 5" the use of it over the battle sequence felt a little Guardians of the Glaxy-ish (while also feeling like Insurrection.) But it played out well, and the Moclan writer's use of Parton's lyrics worked very well in the formal expression of them.

Again, well done, Orville. I do hope to see you back for a Season 3.

I still really miss Alara.

Deledrius likes this.
  19. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Was that Tony Todd doing a cameo as a Moclan tonight?

imdbrefugee likes this.
  20. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Or Disney+